• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby: TV ratings dip again

D

DonBilly

What's happening with Rugby in NZ? TV ratings are decreasing, stadia remain half-empty, what's the perspective for RWC2011? Will NZ have to poach NH Rugby fans to fill their tiny stadia in 2011? ;)

Anyway, is there any known explanation for this? Is this a general trend with respect to Sport or is it specific to Rugby? Does the same happen to League?

Too much Rugby? Too much test Rugby?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Rugby

Rugby: TV ratings dip again

8:48AM Sunday Dec 07, 2008
By Dylan Cleaver

mils2305.jpg

There was a poor TV turnout to watch Mils Muliaina and his teammates take on England at Twickenham last weekend. Photo / AP

All Blacks' Grand Slam tour
A Grand Slam was on the line against one of New Zealand's oldest and fiercest rivals but that was not enough to convince fans to tune in.

The All Blacks-England match at Twickenham last weekend mustered a paltry 118,800 TV viewers in New Zealand, easily the lowest figure of the current tour and more than 60,000 viewers less than any test during the 2005 Grand Slam.

Even given the fact there was a replay at a more friendlier time the next morning, it is a figure that should have rugby bosses quaking in their adidas lace-ups, confirming the great rugby turn-off is a real threat and not just a cyclical waning of interest.

The shrill of the alarm in the middle of the night, followed by families huddled around the TV eating cheese on toast was as much a part of northern hemisphere tours as the rugby itself.

Bosses will take some comfort in the fact the England test was the only one to start at 3.30am, with the other three tests starting at the more sociable hours of 6-6.30am.

However, three of the four tests on the 2005 Grand Slam tour started at 3.30am.

According to AGB Nielsen figures, of those, 202,600 watched the test against Ireland; 241,400 watched the match against England; and 182,400 watched Tana Umaga's final test against Scotland. The highest figure on that tour was the 295,100 who tuned in for the opening match against Wales, a test that started at 4.45am.

On this tour, only Ireland attracted more viewers than they did in 2005, roping in 225,600 sets of eyes in the hyped occasion at Croke Park. That match started after 6am, as did the opener against Scotland (a mere 160,400) and Wales (250,200).

The figures would appear to show a continuation of a downward trend that is effecting all levels of rugby.

Interestingly, the Munster match, which screened on a week day during work hours, secured 144,100 viewers compared to the 118,800 that watched the England test.

In April, the Herald on Sunday revealed that Super 14 audiences had taken a massive hit, with a 25 per cent drop in the average audience in two years.

After nine rounds of Super 14, figures showed that the 23 games played in New Zealand had been watched by a cumulative audience of 4.1 million people. That was an average of 179,000, down from 238,000 at the same point in 2006.

More worrying is that the average this year is down on last year, when 22 leading All Blacks were withdrawn from the series.

At the time, New Zealand Rugby Union professional rugby manager Neil Sorenson said: "We were under no illusions that we had a massive job to bring audiences back after the competition took a kick in the guts last year. The viewing figures are clearly showing us the public are not rapt with the competitions in their current format."

These Grand Slam figures seem to show the dissatisfaction was not just with the Sanzar competitions, but with rugby itself.

The NZRU could take comfort in the fact the Bledisloe Cup proved popular with more than 332,000 people tuning in at the television friendly time of 9.30pm for the test against Australia at Hong Kong.

Copyright ©2008, APN Holdings NZ Limited[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 8 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Rugby

By Dylan Cleaver

Even given the fact there was a replay at a more friendlier time the next morning, it is a figure that should have rugby bosses quaking in their adidas lace-ups, confirming the great rugby turn-off is a real threat and not just a cyclical waning of interest.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

If this guy can break into journalism with grammar like that then mabye there's hope for me yet.

As for the rest of the article, I can see it sparking yet another illuminating 'our rugby is better than your rugby' debate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Dec 8 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 8 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Rugby

By Dylan Cleaver

Even given the fact there was a replay at a more friendlier time the next morning, it is a figure that should have rugby bosses quaking in their adidas lace-ups, confirming the great rugby turn-off is a real threat and not just a cyclical waning of interest.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

If this guy can break into journalism with grammar like that then mabye there's hope for me yet.

As for the rest of the article, I can see it sparking yet another illuminating 'our rugby is better than your rugby' debate.
[/b][/quote]

NAh, more like 'our fans are better than your fans'...

Well the Munster match had the novelty factor as well as a reasonably decent kickoff for New Zealanders but still to get more than the England match is a bit of a worry. Interestingly the Munster match peaked in Ireland at over 1 million viewers.

The more important question though is whether the ratings are falling for Super 14 matches, Tri Nations Tests and Summer tours?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Dec 8 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 8 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Rugby

By Dylan Cleaver

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well this decrease on Rugby attendances actually started with the Super14 and 3N. The issue looks like being more with Rugby in general than an issue with other hemisphere Rugby.

It's the year after another unsuccessful World Cup. There were a lot of fans unhappy with Henry's reappointment who refused to watch the All Blacks and a lot did actually support Robbie Deans.

However, I read an article only yesterday in New Zealand Rugby World that said that New Zealand rugby was fighting back, and the viewing rate was going up. It's going to take a while. There were, and still are, a lot of people left with a sour taste in their mouth after last year.

To compare 2008 to 2007 isn't going to show us much either. 2007 was World Cup year, it's naturally going to get more views, especially on free to air TV.

This guy has also neglected to note that the viewers for the Super 14 went UP as the competition progressed. What do they expect a year after 22 All Blacks were pulled from the competition?

Personally, this year's Grand Slam didn't spark the same interest as 2005 did because it was the second go at it in the space of three years. It should be like a Lions Tour to your country, a rare thing, or else it loses its touch. A rematch against a full strength French team probably would have sparked more interest, and so would a game against Argentina.

I also think that a better comparision would be New Zealand Rugby vs say, English Football. It's fair because English Football fans are faced with the same thing every year, and have had the sport rammed down their throats with money making ploys a bit too often, just like New Zealanders do with rugby. Every year the All Blacks play a couple of (usually) understrength NH teams and beat them comprehensively, then they go on and play the Boks and Aus three times (and usually win the 3N), after that it's NH teams again. It gets boring. Just like Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal always getting into the CL gets boring if you don't support them (from what I can see, excuse me for such a sweeping comment if this offends anyone). People are bound to get bored and start falling out of love with the game eventually.

I do envy the supporters in the NH. They have amazing support. I wish New Zealanders could create the atmosphere they do. I wish we had better chants than 'All Blacks clapclapclapclap All Blacks', I wish we sung about our players, I wish we had a song like Swing Low that we could sing during matches. We're all so proud of Kiwi music, but we're too good to sing it by ourselves at matches. It doesn't make sense.

I read an article about how winning is all that matters to All Blacks fans, and we're bad losers. It's the truth. A NH team loses, and they're still proud of their boys and able to sing about them. The All Blacks lose and everyone's in bed before midnight sulking.

But the at the moment, there's nothing that says we need a reason to change how we act. We get the same thing every year. I'm all for a competition between World Cups (like the Euros in football) to make the game new and interesting. I'd also love to see Super 14 teams playing Heineken Cup teams (perhaps as pre-season games, even). Can you imagine a game between the Crusaders and Munster?

I'm sorry if this seems like a bit of a ramble, but I feel it's all related... somehow. :D

Well maybe they just already knew who was going to win.

NZ is an awesome team and the last games England played weren't that toplevel, so the assumed, hell yeah we gonna win anyway.

But Wales knew they were gonna beat Canada in this year AIs and over 60,000 still turned up to the stadium.
Then again, we're used to seeing Wales lose in the past and not win too often, so we turn up come rain (knocked out by fiji in group stages of RWC) or shine (winning 7 out of the last 9 matches we've played) just in case we win again.
Lol.

yeah but then look at the pitiful attendances from some of the teams in the Magners League and not everything is rosy in the garden up this way either.

I'm sure the IRB can come up with some more ELVs that'll solve anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 9 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah but then look at the pitiful attendances from some of the teams in the Magners League and not everything is rosy in the garden up this way either.[/b]

Very true. But i'm not sure how you feel about the club game in regards to the international one.
For me, Ospreys are just a team to pass the long months in between international tests. At the end of the day i couldn't give a rats arse about them, and the only reason i go and watch them from time to time is to see my welsh heroes playing and coz i miss live rugby.

I'd be quite passionate about club rugby to be honest, I mean I must be if I'm willing to sit through a Leinster match with Welsh commentary, if it's the only option I'll take it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 9 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 9 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah but then look at the pitiful attendances from some of the teams in the Magners League and not everything is rosy in the garden up this way either.[/b]

Very true. But i'm not sure how you feel about the club game in regards to the international one.
For me, Ospreys are just a team to pass the long months in between international tests. At the end of the day i couldn't give a rats arse about them, and the only reason i go and watch them from time to time is to see my welsh heroes playing and coz i miss live rugby.
[/b][/quote]
Son, I'm gonna lay the nut on you now! What you doing mun?!!!!

What can i say. That's how i really feel about the club game.
It's weird coz i feel like i'm in denial a lot of the time because i often look forward to watching the Ospreys play, but i can't say i have a passion for the team like i do with Wales. There's just no comparison.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 9 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd be quite passionate about club rugby to be honest, I mean I must be if I'm willing to sit through a Leinster match with Welsh commentary, if it's the only option I'll take it.[/b]

We are on the same tune, club Rugby is for me very important.

Ranking the Rugby competitions from the most important to the least (according to me) gives:
  1. RWC
  2. 6N, Top14
  3. November tours
  4. Hcup
  5. 3N
  6. Spring tours
  7. Super14, GP, Currie Cup
  8. ML, NPC, ECC

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 10 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 9 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be quite passionate about club rugby to be honest, I mean I must be if I'm willing to sit through a Leinster match with Welsh commentary, if it's the only option I'll take it.[/b]

Ranking the Rugby competitions from the most important to the least (according to me) gives:
  1. RWC
  2. 6N, Top14
  3. November tours
  4. Hcup
  5. 3N
  6. Spring tours
  8. ML, NPC, ECC
[/b][/quote]

what are you doing putting top14 2nd swap it with the tri nations.

For me I cant get to watch the Blues week in week out so its hard from my point of view. The crowds are dwindling because the rugby is pretty poor and most of the games are televised regarding ML!

At the end of the day they need to change the system where by games are played at a more suitable day / time!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Dec 10 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 10 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 9 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. RWC
  2. 6N, Top14
  3. November tours
  4. Hcup
  5. 3N
  6. Spring tours
  8. ML, NPC, ECC
[/b][/quote]

what are you doing putting top14 2nd swap it with the tri nations.
[/b][/quote]

You don't really 'get' personal opinions do you?

For me, club rugby is a huge deal. Northampton is a rugby town, and the constant sell-outs at Franklins Gardens reflect this. As does the fact that we pull well over twice as many fans as the local football team.

The RFU treat fans like idiots, and price most people out of going to see the national team play. The clubs encourage support and put a lot back into the local community. Whilst I'm a passionate Englishman, the way the national side is being run turns a lot of people off.

A lot of people hopped onto the rugby bandwagon when we won the RWC, but it's the domestic supporters who fund the game and the future of the national side. Mabye when those in charge start realising this, people like me won't start to lose interest in the international scene.

Latest posts