Rugby variants

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Other day having a pint with people from all over the place. All played and follow rugby but, to my surprise, they had only played 15s.
Which variants have you tried? By "tried" i dont mean a 4 a side in the beach with friends. I mean school/club/etc, some sort of official competition or regular friendly games vs other schools/clubs/etc, referee, all wearing matching jersey's, etc.
Touch rugby and rugby league dont count, course.

I guess i should go first. I focused to 15 the overwhelming majority of the time but i've tried sevens (seven a side back in the day) two different types of 9 a side and 12s too.

First 9 a side was 4 fwd (Prop/hooker, lock and flanker) and 5 backs (SH, FH, C, W, FB). This is how we started at school. Smaller pitch.

Other 9 was 3 fwds (PHP), 6 backs (SH, FH, IC, OC, W, FB). This was usually reserved for 1 day tournaments. Similar to sevens but not as fast paced. Full pitch.

12 was like 15s but without flankers and no FB (or missing one wing, your choice). For some reason they though it was a good idea to use this as a transition between the 9 a side and 15 a side. not sure if they still use it but i had to play an entire year with that system. Full pitch.

as a kid i palyed 9 a side instead of sevens. we moved to 7s when we where over 12 years (more or less) never seen the 12 version dow

dont remember i think it was 3. this was like 35 years ago.. it gets blury you know.. ill ask friends to see if they remeber

Latest posts