Wales vs New Zealand 23-47

3rd Place playoff
Wales vs England 18-32

Final
South Africa vs new Zealand 28-22

South Africa to win

What's your guys predictions

Last edited:
Completely baffled considering SA's current state how you have them winning the whole thing.

Could only win at home in the 2016 Rugby Championship

Barely beat Italy in the 2016 AI's with losses to England and Wales

They need one hell of turnaround before I can see past a QF loss to Ireland (except for Ireland sheer ability to choke at that stage of the tournament).

Some bold calls there buddy. You're predicting SA to beat NZ twice in the same tournament and win the whole thing? Maybe you know something we don't, but for SA to go that would take some kind of miraculous turnaround.
And Japan getting to the playoffs is a nice thought, but a very slim possibility.

Pool A 1st Japan, 2nd Ireland (3rd Scotland)
Pool B 1st New Zealand, 2nd South Africa (3rd Spain)
Pool C 1st England 2nd Argentina (3rd France)
Pool D 1st Australia 2nd Wales (3rd Georgia)

QF1 Japan 34-32 South Africa
QF2 England 25-28 Wales
QF3 New Zealand 29-40 Ireland
QF4 Australia 33-21 Argentina

SF1 Japan vs Wales
SF2 Ireland vs Australia

Bronze Japan (4th) vs Ireland (3rd)
Final Wales (1st) vs Australia (2nd)

Last edited:
A
1st Ireland
2nd Scotland
3rd Japan
4th Tonga
5th Romania

B
1st NZ
2nd SA
3rd Italy
4th Spain/Germany
5th Namibia

C
1st England
2nd Argentina
3rd France
4th Samoa
5th USA

D
1st Wales
2nd Australia
3rd Fiji
4th Georgia
5th Canada

QF
South Africa beats Ireland
NZ beats Scotland
England beats Australia
Wales beats Argentina

SF
Wales beats South Africa
England beats NZ

Bronze
NZ beats South Africa

Final
Wales beats England

Okay I thought it was silly with SA winning but Wales? Are you deliberately taking the ****?

On current for this tournament will be between NZ (as clear favourites) and Eng. Outside bets on Ire & Aus then on perphiphery of could do it but need a major change SA.

No one else will win they might do well but win the entire thing? Doubtful.

this tournament will be between NZ (as clear favourites) and Eng.

Yeah yeah, that's what they said last time too. And then they lost... to Wales :p

In all fairness, I think Ireland has a better chance than Wales, if it's going to be a first time champion. Maybe I should change it to Ireland 1st, Wales 2nd, Australia 3rd!

And yeah I just used historical results for the QF scores. Not a serious prediction.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, that's what they said last time too. And then they lost... to Wales :p
I'm not a big fan of making excuses but essentially we couldn't of made a bigger cock up of that tournament if we tried.

Okay I thought it was silly with SA winning but Wales? Are you deliberately taking the ****?

On current for this tournament will be between NZ (as clear favourites) and Eng. Outside bets on Ire & Aus then on perphiphery of could do it but need a major change SA.

No one else will win they might do well but win the entire thing? Doubtful.

England is gonna end up bruised after beating the ABs and Wales will take the chance. Ireland will choke. Everyone else is just poor.

Seriously I am expecting a big improvement in SA by the RWC of they can find a scrum half and have them as my second favourites to reach the final. They have a lot of talent that will be approaching their prime in late 2019 in every other position (except possibly fullback) and they will avoid NZ in the quarters and semis.

I actually like Ireland's chances. They are not there yet but they've shown they've got the talent and the mental strength to beat the very best at their peak (NZ, Eng).

Then again, had you asked me back in 2015 i would have said Argentina (nice mix of young and mature players, team was on the rise, we were just about to join Super Rugby, etc), and look where we are now, so who the **** knows.

And no matter how bad RSA is, even with their current form, on a good day they can beat anyone bar NZ. Never underestimate RSA.

I can see a South Africa New Zealand final. New Zealand likely winners.

this is good for the ABs. some tough matches to keep them sharp and they get to play quality tier1 sides.

The thing is, we know what our faults are, and are working on improving them.

We also have 2 new assistant coaches this year for the Springboks, and I have an idea it will already make a massive difference.

Some teams are flying high now... But the World Cup isn't happening right now.

SA is the new France (sans flair). We are just that unpredictable and mostly that is due to various backroom/general socio-political issues.

But what else is new? Even in 2015 we lost to Japan and then pushed NZ to 2 points in the SF (although NZ played superbly for territory and containment in the last quarter and we really didn't look like breaching their 22). It has been a long time coming actually; I'd say the carry over from White to PdV is the start of the very slow fall.

SA is the new France (sans flair). We are just that unpredictable and mostly that is due to various backroom/general socio-political issues.

But what else is new? Even in 2015 we lost to Japan and then pushed NZ to 2 points in the SF (although NZ played superbly for territory and containment in the last quarter and we really didn't look like breaching their 22). It has been a long time coming actually; I'd say the carry over from White to PdV is the start of the very slow fall.

Nah. I can see a change for the better coming to SA Rugby, it's just a matter of when, and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I get the idea, that our new Sports Minister is more engaging than our previous minister, and now that we are going to push to host 2023, I get the idea that we will get more backing.

We will only know if 2016 was just a fluke of a season and our Annus Horribilis, or if our standards have really dropped, when we play against France.

Don't get me wrong. I am optimistic for the future too but don't expect the corner will be turned by 2019, at least not fully.

Steven Kitshoff coming back is a good spin from the new eligibility rules but he is only one player and it might not even be the new rules that weigh heaviest in his coming back. We'll see if the players in the same boat like Marcel Coetzee come back and if players like Combrinck, Janse van Rensburg etx stay to earn those 30 caps first before leaving. Faf de klerk leaving our shres before earning his 30 caps is the flip side of the coin though. It might just be that we have shot ourselves in the foot and the disparity in earnings is simply too much to ask players to stick around particularly due to us fickle fans, selectors and racial quotas making for an impossibly volatile situation ITO player selection.

Coetzee will be taking us to the RWC. Whatever is happening ITO coaching elsewhere I can't see Coetzee changing his approach. So nothing other than the fringes will change BUT that could (and I am hopeful here) count for much. We desperately needed a dedicated defensive coach last year and a backs coach with actual coaching experience nevermind a favorable record. How we went into the Coetzee era without either baffles me.

Our players aren't fit enough. Its very simple and should be easy enough to fix but I am afraid that is not seen as a priority. We'll see.

I get the idea skills are improving but don't think that'll count for much in AC's approach.

So I guess I am expecting us to get closer to being there post-Coetzee assuming a more professional approach is adopted, we have a system closer resembling central contracting and we manage to lure back/maintain talent. The last is possibly the most important factor and sadly one outside of SARU's sphere of influence to a very large degree.

Don't get me wrong. I am optimistic for the future too but don't expect the corner will be turned by 2019, at least not fully.

Steven Kitshoff coming back is a good spin from the new eligibility rules but he is only one player and it might not even be the new rules that weigh heaviest in his coming back. We'll see if the players in the same boat like Marcel Coetzee come back and if players like Combrinck, Janse van Rensburg etx stay to earn those 30 caps first before leaving. Faf de klerk leaving our shres before earning his 30 caps is the flip side of the coin though. It might just be that we have shot ourselves in the foot and the disparity in earnings is simply too much to ask players to stick around particularly due to us fickle fans, selectors and racial quotas making for an impossibly volatile situation ITO player selection.

Coetzee will be taking us to the RWC. Whatever is happening ITO coaching elsewhere I can't see Coetzee changing his approach. So nothing other than the fringes will change BUT that could (and I am hopeful here) count for much. We desperately needed a dedicated defensive coach last year and a backs coach with actual coaching experience nevermind a favorable record. How we went into the Coetzee era without either baffles me.

Our players aren't fit enough. Its very simple and should be easy enough to fix but I am afraid that is not seen as a priority. We'll see.

I get the idea skills are improving but don't think that'll count for much in AC's approach.

So I guess I am expecting us to get closer to being there post-Coetzee assuming a more professional approach is adopted, we have a system closer resembling central contracting and we manage to lure back/maintain talent. The last is possibly the most important factor and sadly one outside of SARU's sphere of influence to a very large degree.

Well, AC only has the France tour to turn things around, otherwise he's gone.

The 30 cap rule is a good rule. And it now makes the choice of either selecting the local youngster or the overseas experienced players. Which I think will provide a good balance to our team. Players like Bismarck, Frans Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Francois Louw, JP Pietersen and others could still be called upon.

Latest posts