Rugby World team of the decade

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Bullitt, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

M Muliana (New Zealand)
    J Robinson (England)
    B O'Driscoll (Ireland)
    M Giteau (Australia)
    B Cohen (England)
    D Carter (New Zealand)
    A Pichot (Argentina)

G Jenkins (Wales)
    J Smit (South Africa)
    C Hayman (New Zealand)
    M Johnson (England, capt)
    V Matfield (South Africa)
    R Hill (England)
    R McCaw (New Zealand)
    S Parisse (Italy).

Bench:
    R Roncero (Argentina)
    M Ledesma (Argentina)
    S Marconnet (France)
    JM Fernandez Lobbe (Argentina)
    F Du Preez (South Africa)
    J Wilkinson (England)
    Y Jauzion (France)
    JM Hernandez (Argentina).

------------------------------------------

They elected O'Driscoll player of the decade (********, that was McCaw) and completely missed out the left wing.

So I included Ben Cohen. For shits and giggles. And to annoy Ripper. Doesn't matter anyway, the team is utter cack (for example, WTF is Hernandez doing in there?)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. cyRil

cyRil Guest

Well, it's not 'cack' is it?

4. Kramer

Kramer Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 6 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    In fairness there are a few players that in my opinion shouldn't be anywhere near the team
    M Giteau is not a first centre and I would rather have Dallaglio at 6 then Richard Hill any day even thouh he played his best rugby at 8
    Howlett/Habana would be a much better choice for the wing spots

5. aligmacd123

aligmacd123 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kramer @ Jan 6 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    In fairness there are a few players that in my opinion shouldn't be anywhere near the team
    M Giteau is not a first centre and I would rather have Dallaglio at 6 then Richard Hill any day even thouh he played his best rugby at 8
    Howlett/Habana would be a much better choice for the wing spots
    [/b][/quote]
    OR even someone like Shane Williams :p

or Rocokoco

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

My thoughts:

15. M Muliana - No. He was the best from 2007-2008, but of the decade there's obviously Jason Robinson and still Cullen to consider. Robinson gets my vote.
    14. J Robinson - He's the Fullback. So remaining we have Joe, Howlett, Habana, Heymans, Clerc, Lewsey, Williams... I'd go Howlett.
    13. B O'Driscoll - A fair vote. Could be a fair argument for Tana Umaga. I'll go BOD.
    12. M Giteau - He's not a 12. However Jauzion and Mortlock are. I'll go Jauzion.
    11. B Cohen - I only put him in to be silly. Of the remaining wingers, it's got to be Habana.
    10. D Carter - Obvious really, although Giteau runs him a close second.
    9. A Pichot - Between him, Greegan, Dawson, Peel & Ellisade. I'd give it to Pichot.

1. Jenkins - No Arguments here.
    2. J Smit - No arguments here. Woods was more a player of the 90's but maybe can still be considered a bench man. Or maybe Mealamu just for annoying the Irish.
    3. Hayman - And no Arguments here!
    4. Johnson © - Say what you will about him as a coach, but even I can't deny he made an outstanding impact to world rugby.
    5. Matfield - Consistantly overall the best lock since his debut in 2001. Chris Jack unluck to miss out.
    6. Hill - A risk some would forget about him. Jerry Collins misses out.
    7. McCaw - Was never in doubt.
    8. Parisse - Very nearly, but the Argentine-Italian never had as much an impact on the game as a certain Italian-Englishman. LBNW.

Bench:
    16. R Roncero - One of the worlds most dangerous props, but not Castrogiovanni
    17. M Ledesma - Longstanding, but not a patch on Ibanez.
    18. S Marconnet (France) An excellent servant for the French front row
    19. JM Fernandez Lobbe - He's not that good. Certainly not Parisse.
    20. F Du Preez - Came along too late, but still has had quite an impact. His best years are still to come, so team of the next decade?
    21. J Wilkinson - No
    22. Y Jauzion - Already starting
    23. JM Hernandez - The f*** is he doing there?

So:

15. Robinson
    14. Howlett
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. Jauzion
    11. Habana
    10. Carter
    9. Pichot
    8. Dallaglio
    7. McCaw
    6. Hill
    5. Matfield
    4. Johnson
    3. Heyman
    2. Smit
    1. Jenkins

Bench (23)

16. Ibanez
    17. Castrogiovanni
    18. Marconnet
    19. Jack
    20. Parisse
    21. Dawson/Greegan (take your pick)
    22. Giteau
    23. Lewsey (for his flexibility)

7. bristol-iain

bristol-iain Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 6 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I'd agree with near all that. Only one thing. Dawson? Are you nuts. Egomaniacal prat, still is in fact. Gregan was 1000000% better.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jan 6 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Definitely, he was an egotistical tosser. That said, he's still had the best pass & rugby best brain of his generation and had an uncanny nack of making referees see things his way.

9. bristol-iain

bristol-iain Guest

And a former Saint.

Now I see.....

;)

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jan 6 2010, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Doesn't matter. Don't you think I would have put Thompson and Grayson in there otherwise?

Just because GingerGenius says I make all of my decisions based on what team someone plays for doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

11. gingergenius

gingergenius Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 6 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Definitely, he was an egotistical tosser. That said, he's still had the best pass & rugby best brain of his generation and had an uncanny nack of making referees see things his way.
    [/b][/quote]

Bracken had the best pass although Dawson was a better scrum half. Still, it's hard to disagree with your team. I'm a fan of Giteau so I'd pick him at prop if I had to, but besides that, spot on.

Also, Chris Latham and Percy Montgomery are the most forgotten geniuses of the decade.

12. lynam1104

lynam1104 Guest

Mat Giteau at prop??

13. Olyy

Olyy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 6 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Deffinatley, Latham is a very close second to Robinson for FB in my eyes, so close in fact that i'd consider Robinson on the wing with Latham at FB

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jan 6 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Deffinatley, Latham is a very close second to Robinson for FB, so close that i'd consider Robinson on the wing with Latham at FB
    [/b][/quote]

And drop which winger?

What a lovely problem being the coach of this would have...

15. Olyy

Olyy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 6 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Deffinatley, Latham is a very close second to Robinson for FB, so close that i'd consider Robinson on the wing with Latham at FB
    [/b][/quote]

And drop which winger?

What a lovely problem being the coach of this would have...
    [/b][/quote]
    Habana,
    He's undeniably great, i just don't like him :p

16. Charles

Charles Guest

I'd have De Villiers instead of Marconnet at tighthead. Other than that, spot on.

17. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 6 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Er, no, Shane Williams was on the left wing. I'll scan the page if you want.

18. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kramer @ Jan 6 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    No.

No, no, no.

Richard Hill had the skills of a 7 but the size of a 6. The man was a flanking god. You can't look past him for the number 6 jersey.

19. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

Richard Hill was a monster. A team without him in the starting lineup should not be considered as a great one.

Agree with most of Bullit's lineup, especially with Robinson at FB...what a legend.

20. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

1. Jenkins
    2. Smit
    3. Hayman
    4. Johnson
    5. Matfield
    6. Hill
    7. McCaw
    8. Dallaglio
    9. Gregan
    10. Carter
    11. Rokocoko
    12. Umaga
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Habana
    15. Robinson

Players such as Cullen, Lomu and Wood don't make the team, because why they were great and even better players then the ones selected, they acheived greatness in the 90's and not 2000's.

21. Muzzy

Muzzy Guest

nah they selected Shane Williams as the left wing no Ben Cohen lol.

my team would be

Os Du Randt
    John Smit
    Carl Hayman
    Victor Matfield
    Martin Johnson
    Sebastien Chabal
    Richie McCaw
    Lawrence Dallaglio

Augustin Pichot
    Daniel Carter
    Sitiveni Sivivatu
    Matt Giteau
    Stirling Mortlock
    Shane Williams
    Chris Latham

bench:

Rupeni Caucaunibuca
    Johnny Wilkinson
    Fourie Du Preez
    Mario Ledesma
    Phil Vickery
    Fernandez Lobbe i guess,
    Schalk Burger

its a shame Steven Larkham can't get a spot, but we had 3 legendary first fives this decade.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!