• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World team of the decade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 7 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Jenkins - Os du Randt RSA
2. Smit RSA
3. Hayman NZ
4. Johnson ENG
5. Matfield RSA
6. Hill ENG
7. McCaw NZ
8. Dallaglio ENG
9. Gregan AUS
10. Carter NZ
11. Rokocoko - Habana RSA
12. Umaga NZ
13. O'Driscoll IRE
14. Habana - Howlett NZ
15. Robinson ENG

Players such as Cullen, Lomu and Wood don't make the team, because why they were great and even better players then the ones selected, they acheived greatness in the 90's and not 2000's.[/b]

Pretty much the team i would select although I would have Os as my first choice loosehead and habana and Howlett at on the wing.

my bench then

Jenkins WAL
Ibanez FRA
Williams NZ
Collins NZ
du Preez RSA
Wilkinson ENG
Latham AUS

BTW, what is cack? - same as the Afrikaans term 'kak'?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 7 2010, 05:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Jenkins
2. Smit
3. Hayman
4. Johnson
5. Matfield
6. Hill
7. McCaw
8. Dallaglio
9. Gregan PICHOT
10. Carter
11. Rokocoko
12. Umaga
13. O'Driscoll
14. Habana
15. Robinson

Players such as Cullen, Lomu and Wood don't make the team, because why they were great and even better players then the ones selected, they acheived greatness in the 90's and not 2000's.[/b]

My two pence worth!!!!!

i was writing down my team when i came across this.. this is the best team of the decade.. these things can **** people off on so many levels even if its all made in fantasy land.... i wouldnt have Jauzion/Shane Williams/Cohen/Giteu anywhere near the team of the decade. because in the major crunh matches none of those could make the difference like those in the starting lineup!!Du preez is haunted to get in instead of Gregan, haunted!! Maybe we are being easy on those all blacks named as they never won a world cup, but neither did O'Driscoll and those all blacks dominated world rugby for much of the decade...
In the forwards, i cannot believe Lawerence D. didnt make the team at 8 or the squad and cannot believe so many Argentinians made the squad...instead of the likes of Shalk Burger who was an irb player of the year and a world cup and tri nations winner. im not singling the pumas out, just believe the like of Lobbe was lucky!
Finally on the overall player of the decade, it was between McCaw and O'Driscoll for me and while i am proud of BOD and believe him to be the greatest centre of his time..(not at all bias!!!!!), McCaw for me was the player of the decade.. BOD went missing for a few years while McCaw is ever present! I believe BOD was the best player in world rugby 2009 not McCaw but McCaw was the best player from 2000-2010!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Jan 7 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 7 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Jenkins - Os du Randt RSA
2. Smit RSA
3. Hayman NZ
4. Johnson ENG
5. Matfield RSA
6. Hill ENG
7. McCaw NZ
8. Dallaglio ENG
9. Gregan AUS
10. Carter NZ
11. Rokocoko - Habana RSA
12. Umaga NZ
13. O'Driscoll IRE
14. Habana - Howlett NZ
15. Robinson ENG

Pretty much the team i would select although I would have Os as my first choice loosehead and habana and Howlett at on the wing.

my bench then

Jenkins WAL
Ibanez FRA
Williams NZ
Collins NZ
du Preez RSA
Wilkinson ENG
Latham AUS

BTW, what is cack? - same as the Afrikaans term 'kak'?
[/b][/quote]
Yeah on review I forgot about Os du Randt, partly because I kinda forgot about him as a 2000's sort of player and more a 90's player, but your spot on, he deserves to be there. Pichot was good, but without sounding like a dick, Pichot was good because he led an average pack, and when Argentina started to be world class, he retired. Gregan was an annoying prat, but in my opinion was the greatest half back I've seen. He was a great tackler, great leader, great passer, great decision maker and he was an annoying half back. Pichot was a good player and certainly a bright light on a dim Argentina pack for a long time, but I've never rated him as highly as Gregan or for that matter Kelleher, Marshall, Dawson or Cusiter. I may be wrong on the last few mentioned, but I'd rate Gregan ahead of Pichot for sure.

In New Zealand, if you say cack you mean sh*t, i don't know if that is the intention the word is used in this case.

There has been a fair bit of banter on TRF about teams of the decade lately. Here is World Rugby Magazine's attempt.

15 Mils Muliaina (NZL)
14 Jason Robinson (ENG)
13 Brian O'Driscoll (IRL)
12 Matt Giteau (AUS)
11 Shane Williams (WAL)
10 Dan Carter (NZL)
9 Agustin Pichot (ARG)
8 Sergio Parisse (ITA)
7 Richie McCaw (NZL)
6 Richard Hill (ENG)
5 Martin Johnson (ENG capt)
4 Victor Matfield (RSA)
3 Carl Hayman (NZL)
2 John Smit (RSA)
1 Gethin Jenkins (WAL)
16 Mario Ledesma (ARG)
17 Rodrigo Roncero (ARG)
18 Sylvain Marconnet (FRA)
19 Juan-Martin Fernandez Lobbe (ARG)
20 Fourie Du Preez (RSA)
21 Jonny Wilkinson (ENG)
22 Yannick Jauzion (FRA)
23 Juan Martin Hernandez (ARG)

Reading this you've got to wonder whether the editor of World Rugby Magazine is Argentinean. I mean I’ve never heard of Rodrigo Roncero, and the others would definitely not make my team of the decade. JM Fernandez Lobbe is the only maybe, but in place of George Smith no f***ing way. Also I’d probably get rid of Jauzion (especially when thers 23 people listed. WTF???)

Source

Why not play Robinson at fullback and bring in Doug Howlett?

Habana over Williams for me but that might just be biased.

No problems with O'Driscoll or Giteau. Umaga unlucky but someone has to be.

Does Gregan not qualify? I assume so.

Parisse is debatable.

Marconnet? Why another prop and no lock on the bench? An inform Ali Williams is my pick here.

Lobbe... yeah, okay, maybe. He covers lock and loose if you need to have 2 props on the bench... yet 4 backs replacements...

Wood, I guess, only just falls into the scopeso is not really a player of the noughties.

No Os du Randt. Okay, I get it now. I've been had.

Has this list maybe been penned by a Frenchman who picked a player playing in the Top14 whenever he thought he might get away with it?

Out of curiousity, who would be happier with this list.

1.Os du Randt
2.John Smit
3.Carl Hayman
4.Victor Matfield
5.Martin Johnson
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
12.Tana Umaga
13.Bryan O'Driscoll
14.Shane Williams
15.Jason Robinson

16.Mario Ledesma
17.Gethin Jenkins
18.Chris Jack
19.Augustin Pichot
20.Johnny Wilkinson
21.Matt Giteau
22.Doug Howlett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Jan 16 2010, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Has this list maybe been penned by a Frenchman who picked a player playing in the Top14 whenever he thought he might get away with it?[/b]
I blame the French for everything.

Except there are no frenchies in the first xv!

Muliaina doesn't belong, and Matfield is marginal - too quiet outside set piece.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 16 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1.Os du Randt
2.<strike>John Smit</strike> Ibanez
3.Carl Hayman
4.Martin Johnson
5.Victor Matfield
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
12.<strike>Tana Umaga</strike> Giteau
13.Bryan O'Driscoll
14.<strike>Shane Williams</strike> Howlett
15.Jason Robinson[/b]

Quite happy.

The issue before hand they named Juan Martin Hernandez the greatest player in the world at the moment. O'Drsicoll wasn't even in the Top #10, though, so take it with a pinch of salt. (Simon Shaw was second, Richie McCaw 3rd. I remember Jamie Roberts, Matt Giteau and Dan Carter where in the list somewhere as well. Oh, and Jonny Wilkinson.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 16 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1.Os du Randt
3.Carl Hayman
4.Martin Johnson
5.Victor Matfield
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
13.Bryan O'Driscoll
15.Jason Robinson[/b]

Quite happy.
[/b][/quote]
People really think Giteau is better then Umaga? I mean he is good no doubt, maybe best in Australia at the moment, but Umaga was pure class. Anyway, matter of opinion, and I think I did a better job then the magazine. I put Howlett on the bench to cover fullback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 17 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1.Os du Randt
3.Carl Hayman
4.Martin Johnson
5.Victor Matfield
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
13.Bryan O'Driscoll
15.Jason Robinson[/b]

Quite happy.
[/b][/quote]
People really think Giteau is better then Umaga? I mean he is good no doubt, maybe best in Australia at the moment, but Umaga was pure class. Anyway, matter of opinion, and I think I did a better job then the magazine. I put Howlett on the bench to cover fullback.
[/b][/quote]

Umaga is good but he's a bit one dimensional, esp for a 12, he has no kicking game so i guess you'd need the the other center to have a kicking game, which i don't think o'driscoll has. notice how during most of Umaga's international career 97-04 NZ wasn't even the best team. i think mortlock is way better than Umaga and i'm a new zealander. and whats so good about Howlett? he had a few good years from 01-02, but after that he didn't do ****, the game changed and i think Howlett couldn't change with it. now the same thing is happening to Rokocoko.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzy @ Jan 18 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 17 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1.Os du Randt
3.Carl Hayman
4.Martin Johnson
5.Victor Matfield
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
13.Bryan O'Driscoll
15.Jason Robinson[/b]

Quite happy.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Umaga is good but he's a bit one dimensional, esp for a 12, he has no kicking game so i guess you'd need the the other center to have a kicking game, which i don't think o'driscoll has. notice how during most of Umaga's international career 97-04 NZ wasn't even the best team. i think mortlock is way better than Umaga and i'm a new zealander. and whats so good about Howlett? he had a few good years from 01-02, but after that he didn't do ****, the game changed and i think Howlett couldn't change with it. now the same thing is happening to Rokocoko.
[/b][/quote]
Well, I can't disagree more with every single one of your points. Umaga I beleive was the best player in the AB's from 2002-2004 (and his career went till 05 obviously)and he was even better then McCaw. Umaga's only fault is his limited kicking, although he is hardly one dimensional, as he had good hands, great passing, hard hitter, fast and hard runner, and was a great captain (how much more can you ask for?). I prefer Umaga over Mortlock, however I think they're both two of the best centres in the world in their prime.
I'm not a Howlett fan by any means, as I think all he really does is finish off others tries as apposed to Rokocoko who had many amazing runs and scored amazing tries. However Howlett is very much a modern win in that regard. He is very good under the high ball, has a decent kicking game and can finish well, even if he is highly over rated. And I rate Mortlock in his prime over Matt Giteau any day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 18 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Umaga I beleive was the best player in the AB's from 2002-2004 (and his career went till 05 obviously)and he was even better then McCaw.[/b]

thats your opinion. you're from Wellington right? lol.

Umaga is a good player, good tackler, good captain, was fast when he used to play on the wing in the 90's, OK passes. but not best Center of the decade imo. Mortlock was also fast, strong, good passer, tackler and good captain. only reason i wouldn't put umaga in is because you can't have both of these players in the starting lineup and i'd choose Mortlock or O'Driscoll over him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 16 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1.Os du Randt
2.John Smit
3.Carl Hayman
4.Victor Matfield
5.Martin Johnson
6.Richard Hill
7.Richie McCaw
8.Lawrence Dallagio
9.George Gregan
10.Daniel Carter
11.Bryan Habana
12.Tana Umaga