• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World

N

Nat

I buy a mag called Rugby World from the UK, just wanting to know how many of you read it? I find some the articles are really good, but the Northern Hemisphere biased too much sometimes, especially about the ELV's and players. I could use a decent club section too, as it only focuses on UK teams and nothing of France or the S14.

Got it once and read it a few times a newsagents but yes by world by probably see the NH as the world and have next to nothing on SH rugby.

There is a SA edition of Rugby World that comes out every month. www.rugbyworldsa.co.za . The last edition I bought (about a year ago) had an interview with Latham before he left for the UK. It may interest you more me thinks

Who'd have thought a UK publication would focus mainly on issues over here? :rolleyes:

I read it along with the occasional copy of Rugby Times. Don't always agree with everything written, but it's certainly interesting.

Well Funnily enough, Rugby World has several editions, including a Welsh, Scottish and Irish... Each vary their content for the nations...

I did wonder whether there was a New Zealand, Australian and South African editions...

http://www.nzrugbyworld.com/ - New Zealand
http://www.rugbyworld.com/ - England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland editions

I used to buy this magazine, but ive recently found it to be quite tedious.
It's a boring magazine now. It's hard to explain, but everything feels a little too formal and it feels like they're trying to wow you too often by pretending to be Eddie Butler...which is a f***ing pain in the arse!

Yep I find Rugby World quite boring as well. I buy the SA Rugby mag instead nowdays

I have a subscription, but i agree it tends to be quite dull.. although it does have a good section of lower league UK rugby. And certainly, it's not a world magazine, like world soccer for example which has everything. RW is basically, NH 90% and SH 10%.

I subscribe to it over here in the US. I love the indepth articles that we are not privy too here in the States, as our only rugby coverage is via the net or just games on Setanta Sports. Since I only follow Northern Hemisphere rugby, it does a good job for my needs.

What ever happened to "The Rugby Club" on Setanta here in the US? I used to watch that show religiously.

Doc

Its only dire because Steve Jones writes some ******** in his articles and thinks being the the most contraversial bloke is good when its not really!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 17 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its only dire because Steve Jones writes some ******** in his articles and thinks being the the most contraversial bloke is good when its not really![/b]
I get the feeling he's trying to convey satire in his articles.
But no; he's just a twat.

Ever since I found the internet and got sky tv I stopped getting rugby mags.  By the time the article is printed it is old news.
However there are some articles in rugby mags that go into edpth about things rugby which you would not find anywhere else...particulary the interviews.

In Australia we get the England edition, but its crap for S14 and anything that isn't UK. Its sad cause the rugby fans are crying out for a truly global mag! With news from everywhere not just the UK. I have read the Latham article , it was good.

You, know it's time for the 'TRF World Rugby magazine' available for download for a small subscription by .pdf ;)

I read it, well, the majority of it, each month. Sometimes I give the player interviews a miss though. I know this sounds weird, but I read it back to front! I always start with Frank Keating's last word then move on to the 'locker room' Technical zone.

Quickly passing the classifieds (unless something takes my eye) we get to schools/grassroots which I always enjoy thoroughly. Then I'll pick up on the one-off articles such as this month's story of the American guy who campaigned for rugby as a means of getting kids off the streets and out of gangs, in memory of his step son, a police officer, was killed in the line of duty.

Another series I'm enjoying at the moment is the 'Tackling the globe' one. Top stuff. Then I'll take my time reading the rest at my leisure so to speak, taking care to make sure that there's not too much 'month' left at the finish of 'RW'!
So for me 'Rugby World' gets the thumbs up!

I used to really enjoy rugby world, but i feel lately its just become a bit empty, like the stories are something of nothing. The big photos in the front have really gone downhill.........

Rugby World is what started building my knowledge of rugby outside of what I was playing. Being a Rugger in America, I found it invaluable. I get them sent to me whenever possible. I also quite enjoy Emerald Rugby (an Irish Rugby Publication).
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr.749 @ Nov 17 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I subscribe to it over here in the US. I love the indepth articles that we are not privy too here in the States, as our only rugby coverage is via the net or just games on Setanta Sports. Since I only follow Northern Hemisphere rugby, it does a good job for my needs.

What ever happened to "The Rugby Club" on Setanta here in the US? I used to watch that show religiously.

Doc[/b]
I agree. Setanta were showing The Rugby Club. I watched it all the time. I actually was asking myself this question last week. I think I'm going to email them about this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 15 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's hard to explain, but everything feels a little too formal and it feels like they're trying to wow you too often by pretending to be Eddie Butler...which is a f***ing pain in the arse![/b]

You mean like how Eddie Butler always do those bloody annoying and out-of-date-by-at-least-six-months features on various things in rugby, rugby clubs, old people playing rugby or law changes on Scrum V for example?

I get your point.

The NH bias might be because they keep hiring Dayglo and Stephen Jones...ugh

Latest posts