Rugby365's team of the year

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Steve-o, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

http://www.rugby365.com/all_news/sa/news/1412420.htm
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    The overall team is pretty solid imo, you can make a case for each of those players selections easily. I do however reckon that both Rocky Elsom and George Smith are unlucky not to get in, both had better a better season than Schalk Burger. Although Burger did redeem himself on the EOY tour somewhat.
    Also Powell at 8? Doesn't fit to well with me. Rodders had a solid and consistent season, should be there.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. munross

munross Guest

Picking Ali Williams above Matfield....?

WTF did those guys smoke?lol

other than that very strong team

4. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 31 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well, I could explain about why Powell is a shoe in at 8 for a world best XV but I fear that most South Africans would probably want to hear last of the big man from Wales, especially after his rampaging debut against the World Champs in November..

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Oh FFS, again... Smith is a Blindside flanker and Burger is an Openside. Why do the so called "experts" always put Burger at 6 and McCaw at 7? George Smith FTW @ 6.

Otherwise, can't argue with much of that.

6. DaKine

DaKine Guest

Where's Bakkies boet!?

7. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaKine @ Dec 31 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    And where is Hugh Vyvian?!?!

8. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 31 2008, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    And where is Hugh Vyvian?!?!
    [/b][/quote]

He is probably at home... :p , what is his prefered position? lock, flanker or no.8?

9. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 31 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Wait....good question...he tends to do a lot of shouting in all three positions!

10. munross

munross Guest

HAHA :lol: , but seriously now, what position does he play in the most?

11. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Lock usually but he does switch to back row quite a bit, much like how Chris Jack seems to switch between 5 and 6 quite a bit these days now...

12. munross

munross Guest

Well he would have to try long and hard to get a spot in "rugby365 Team of the Year" with players like Burger, McCaw, Matfield, Ali Williams, Andy Powell and co being around

13. cyRil

cyRil Guest

Why the hell is Ian Evans there? They 'justified' him for his performance in the 6 Nations... Even though our starting locks were Ian Gough and AWJ. :huh:

Andy Powell <strike>will f*** SA up in the summer</strike> is good. :p

14. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 1 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    <_<

[​IMG]

:D

15. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 31 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well, I could explain about why Powell is a shoe in at 8 for a world best XV but I fear that most South Africans would probably want to hear last of the big man from Wales, especially after his rampaging debut against the World Champs in November..
    [/b][/quote]

"Powell is a shoe in at 8 for a world best XV"
    ^^^That's the quote I'll put on my sig when Powell gets shown up

^^^And that's the quote you can put on your sig if I'm proven wrong

He did well with ball-in-hand during the AI's (didn't score a try against us though) but from what I've seen with him at the Blues is that he's scared of the hard graft, and we all know what happens when you're afraid of the hard when playing the Boks (anybody remember 43-17??).
    We'll see this year Pressie, we'll see

16. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

What are you talking about? The guy grafts really hard and was probably the find of series for Wales next to Halfpenny.

And when you bang on about the Boks vs Wales, you kind of forgotten the Bok's rather rough and rampaging introduction to Powell in the AIs ;)

Anyway, this is the problem with the bloody Welsh. They're so useless they have to leave the job of sticking up for their own players to Englishmen..pah!

17. all7days

all7days Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 31 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Matfield had a terrible international season. He looked behind the pace in the tri nations. Ali started nearly all tests this year and actually made the all blacks lineout useable. Which is the reason i think they picked him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 1 2009, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Don't south africans play left and right? Not open and blind? Oh and george smith can play wherever he wants. I've seen him at 8, 7, 6, and actually at 10. :)

I think the team is pretty good. Some close calls. Of course my opinion is that there should've been more All Blacks. :D

18. Haymanator

Haymanator Guest

A strange looking XV, until you see the names of the selectors (De Koning, Murison etc).

Is rugby365 a South African website?

19. 187

187 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 1 2009, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    huh? burger is a blindside flanker and mccaw is an openside flanker.. what are you going on about? or are you joking?

20. cyRil

cyRil Guest

South African flankers re-arrange their numbers - Burger wears 6 but is an openside.

Prestwick, you are not alone ANDY POWELL RULZ AAAAAAAAAAAALLL!!!!!11!!1111!!!!!oneone11!!1111!!
    YESSSS!!!!!

21. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Correction: Everybody else re-arranges their flankers around because a Saffa invented/thought up the 3-4-1 scrum formation!

On the issue at hand, Burger is a openside.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!