• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby365's team of the year

I think that Powell deserves to be there, as he had some brilliant games last year. A big credit goes to him, <strike>even though Kankowski and even Spies on their day are far superior players</strike>, for managing to get one up on some of our boys. He just peaked at the right time i think. But good on him, he is a great prospect, and hopefully he can keep his form and get selected in the Lions side <strike>that will be slaughtered</strike> when they arrive.

I thought SA plays left and right flankers instead of openside and blindeside? Meaning no 6 and 7 are both openside and blindeside, just depends where they are on the pitch.

Anyway, not a bad team of the year, but quite a few I don't agree with. For one it's complete SA bais in a number of positions. Then we come to the biggest mistake, Ian Evans!!!! Are they mixing him and Alun-Wyn, cos I know which one is better, along with a number of others.

The roles of the flankers would depend on the coaches tactics more. You can see a trend with previous players that Bok 6's are opensides. Players like Crige (sp?) Burger, Erasmus, Watson and Brussow play 6 and have some mongrel in them. Our 7's like Venter, Smith and Rossouw are the hardmen of the pack.
Even at school I wore the number 6 and my role was openside.

Surely Parisse should be in the team? awesome all year and nominated for world player of the year. Powell only played in November although he played very well against the two best teams in the world.

Ian Evans? I agree that he's been confused Alyn-Wyn Jones. A-W Jones had a far better season. I still wouldn't put him in my XV. It would be B Botha and Ali Williams!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Jan 15 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ian Evans? I agree that he's been confused Alyn-Wyn Jones. A-W Jones had a far better season. I still wouldn't put him in my XV. It would be B Botha and Ali Williams![/b]

Yup, last season, Alun-Wyn Jones could have been included at a push. But he's been below the form he set last year. Ian Evans has the potential to be up there (looked a better prospect than Wyn Jones a few year ago), but hesn't shown it consistently enough between injuries.

Agree Botha or POC etc. should be there.

I'm disturbed by the lack of Parisse in this nomination, otherwise 'tis all good I guess.

Obviously there's way too much South African bias with this piece which is highlighted by John Smit's inclusion.

Personally, I'd only have De Villiers in there based on 2008 performances.

And yes, if there was to be one Australian in there it would be Rocky Elsom - by far the standout blindside flanker of 2008.

Latest posts