• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby's Best Characters?

ScrummyRugby

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
In light of The Honey Badger's hilarious post-match interviews I started to wonder who rugby's best characters are, both past and present. It doesn't necessarily have to be funny, for example Richie McCaw is like rugby's pantomime villain. What are your favorite characters/moments?

Rugby fans up and down the world lately have been hanging on Nick 'The Honey Badger' Cummins every word and it got me thinking about the best characters in rugby, both past and present.

In the last couple of years there is a couple of moments that have stayed in my mind. Obviously, the latest its The Honey Badgers post-match interviews where he uses phrases such as "Sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage" and "busier than that one-armed bricky in Baghdad".

When the Lions usually go on tour a few funny moments occur. There was the mock court in the 1997 tour where Kieth Wood dished out punishments to the offending players. Last year was no different. One of my favorites was the picture that emerged of Stuart Hogg donning a tiny pair od speedos holding a beer the morning after the Lions were victorious. There was also the clip on the 'Lions Roar' DVD of Zebo getting stitched up.
As a Welshman I've also got to throw this one in... Andy Powell driving a golf cart down the M4 the morning after a Wales game to get some breakfast.

To see all the videos/links relating to these above instances check out http://scrummyrugbyviews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/rugbys-best-characters.html where I've compiled them all.

For the Southern Hemisphere, the honor must go to Murray Mexted.

In the North - Doddie Weir.

I do like the Honey Badger, without bandwagoning. I like Paul Williams from Samoa a lot, he's extremely humble and is a pleasure to hear talk. I always love listening to Wilko post-game, in French. So typically English, but in French, such a caricature but an amazing guy. Elsom was always fun to hear talk, his economy for words is hilarious. Read is super super positive, I love his perpetually-upbeat edge. From the French guys, I like Domingo and Kayser a lot, they both talk fast and say lots in short amounts of time, are extremely lucid and understand their surroundings well. Rougerie is hilarious to hear talk some times, he's so straight-forward and says it as it is, no bs. After the H Cup final loss, post game, he said the equivalent of "well yeah, it's fkn annoying but that's the way it is, yeh..." on national tv, in french in sounded pretty hilarious.

Chabal was probably one of rugby's biggest characters, big beard and big hits.

Simply Andrea.....

Andrea+Lo+Cicero+Chef+Anna+Dente+Show+cooking+daSneykkkKGl.jpg

Does anyone have time to talk about our Lord and Saviour?..

Ed-Fairhurst_1501443.jpg

Mick The Munch? Bobby Windsor? Willie John? Possibly a controversial one, but Adrian Stoop? P Divvy? Even more controversially, Louis Luyt?

As for post match interviews, no one will ever beat Brendan Venter's 'Mike Bassett' **** take.

As for characters...Lelia Masaga has always been great value.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for post match interviews, no one will ever beat Brendan Venter's 'Mike Bassett' **** take.

:lol:

Never seen that one before, absolute classic! What a tosser!

:lol:

Never seen that one before, absolute classic! What a tosser!

that was kind of the point.... he'd been told off and fined for being to open and critical of match officials in his previous interview was told he should think before he spoke etc....soooooooooooooooooooooooooo he did that instead just to show what an awkward w*anker he can be.

I like Venter seems to really know his stuff and really knows how to set a good team environment.

Also he looks like skeletor.

that was kind of the point.... he'd been told off and fined for being to open and critical of match officials in his previous interview was told he should think before he spoke etc....soooooooooooooooooooooooooo he did that instead just to show what an awkward w*anker he can be.

I like Venter seems to really know his stuff and really knows how to set a good team environment.

Also he looks like skeletor.

Three cheers for Sireli Bobo! :lol:

I saw this and thought it was hilarious... Now with context it's even better!

Latest posts