• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rule Change - Players Crossing

halep

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hi all

I have a distinct memory from school rugby days (around 2001-2009) of a rule change regarding what was awarded when two players cross, i.e. ball carrier runs into teammate in front of him. I seem to remember that in one season, this was not penalised, or not very much and the next season suddenly it was heavily penalised (penalty maybe?) every time it happened. We had to be a lot more careful.

I mentioned this to a friend while watching Ireland v France last week but he didn't seem to remember any rule change.

Can anyone think of a rule change either in the sense of the general rules being altered, or in a difference in rules from one age group to another. I played school rugby from U7 or so all the way up.

If there is no rule change of any type then I imagine the memory comes from one teacher one year not being very hot on the rules and the next teacher in the next year having a better grasp of them - but I didn't think that was the case.

I'm sure it has always been illegal, but has there been a change in the way this rule was enforced?

Thanks,

Latest posts