First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Help me out.
Watch this video

Disregard what happens after the tackle, please. What's your take on the tackle?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing wrong with that tackle, the only reason his feet went up is because they hit his team laying on the ground, which made his body kind of like a lever.

Agree with @themole25. Legit tackle, a real "Richard Kahui" special

- - - Updated - - -

... and this one on AAC

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice + clean tackle, right around the chest. Nothing wrong with it. Looks "scary" watched in normal speed, due to the legs flying around, but that has been well explained.

Very good tackle. The rules on a spear tackle are where a player lifts the legs and the person being tackled goes beyond the horizontal and I believe they also have to land awkwardly (so if a person is able to somehow recover it and put them down safely, I don't think they would get anything more than a warning to be careful).

Cases where tripping or momentum causes a player to go beyond the horizontal don't count as that is just physics and not a technical fault of the tackling player.

The law requires the following things for their to be a tip tackle:
1. Tackler lifting the player off the ground.
2. Player being dropped or driven into the ground before their feet have touched the ground.
3. That the player landed on their upper body or head.
The beyond the horizontal is just a rule of thumb, you can break the horizontal but if you can make sure he lands on his feet or that his head or upper body doesn't hit first you are fine.

Thanks for the replies
The law requires the following things for their to be a tip tackle:
1. Tackler lifting the player off the ground.
2. Player being dropped or driven into the ground before their feet have touched the ground.
3. That the player landed on their upper body or head.
The beyond the horizontal is just a rule of thumb, you can break the horizontal but if you can make sure he lands on his feet or that his head or upper body doesn't hit first you are fine.
Well, that was what i had in mind when i posted the video.
For me the tackle in the video clearly complies with points 2) and 3) and if i watch the slow motion replay, it appears that although the tackler is not going upwards, his momentum is so big that he actually takes the green/white player a few centimeters higher. We can probably argue for hours about whether that constitutes a lift or not.

I've heard more than once from refs/pundits (i'll try to find youtube) that once a tackle happens, and the tackled person is up in the air, it is the responsibility of the tackler to see that the tackled one lands safely (i.e. not with his neck/head).
I know the source should be the rules and not live commentary, but it did seem like a reasonable rule of thumb and proved to be right in most cases.

Latest posts