• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rules/Regulation of the game

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I wonder if we do a drop-kick where I understand that the ball touches the ground right before you kick it, will it considered as a knock-on since the ball is out of your hand and touched the ground?

No, there is no knock on. Apply common sense to the laws.

Technically all attackers in front of the ball carrier are offside. The laws can be silly at times.

As far as I understand it, a drop goal is a classed by the IRB as a 'method of scoring' and therefore you are allowed to drop the ball in front of you to kick at goal.

As Ezequiel said, if you miss the ball with your boot completely (I don't think I have ever seen it at a competitive game) then it's a knock on.

It's also important to note that by performing a normal kick, you are knocking the ball on. The law just says you need to lose the ball towards the opposition goal line. Hence why you simply need to apply common sense in these cases.

Advice to all: if you drop the ball, in any part of the field, and you gaze on in horror at the resulting loss of possession you are about to cause, just lamely throw one of your legs out to attempt a drop goal.

"What are you on about ref, I only ever hit drop goals in my 22."

It's also important to note that by performing a normal kick, you are knocking the ball on. The law just says you need to lose the ball towards the opposition goal line. Hence why you simply need to apply common sense in these cases.

Doesn't a knock on only count when it hits the floor? So technically, kicking out of hand isn't a throw forward or knock on.

Now a grubber kick where the ball hits the floor first is a contentious one, especially when some people knock on and then kick it. Then it seems to come to the refs interpretation of whether the player was in control of possession when he dropped the ball to kick!

Latest posts