Running a long distance

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

Since last week I took up running again. Finished Sunday with an 8 km run.
My aim is 10-12 km run but the issue I'm facing is the following, after 6 km I start to be very hungry ( as in charlie sheen sees some hoo's and voila he spends some time in rehab) I can't run on a full stomach so I want to know how I can improve my technique to run longer distances.

Many thanks.

Possible Solution

Instead of eating a full meal before running, how about an energy bar? If that's still too heavy, how about fresh fruit(apple, banana, grapes, all of the above)? Also, remember to stay hydrated!

damn i've never felt that urge before... it's only after i've finished and settled down I get really hungry.

I lose my appetite completely after a run. I can't run on a full stomach either, so I'll usually have something small before a rugby training, like an apple and then eat dinner around 10:30pm, simply because I just never feel like eating. I'd recommend an apple, before the run or if need be during. It should give you energy and be refreshing, without filling you up too much.

Try changing your running times i.e. not running at breakfast time or after work. It's not so much not running early in the morning but if you eat breakfast at 7am every morning your body get hungry at that time the same as it wakes up in the morning at a certain time. I run at 5am because I always eat at 7am and i was having the same issues when i ran at 7am. Like Nickdnz says most athletes aren't hunger after a workout or training because their blood is circulating to other parts of the body. Usually its an hour or so before the hunger sets in because that's when your body take count of your sugar supplies and then rings the dinner bell.

I think an energy bar works best because it's a light meal and it's you know for energy.

Cheers guys, will try the apple.
I'm just really occupied with work and other obligations so an early or a late night run are the only moments I have time to run unfortunately.
When it comes to playing sports, before the game I have a light meal with lots of veggies and fruits but after 60 minutes of being very active my stomach starts grumbling. I will try the advices here and see how it will work out.

Many thanks

Latest posts