RWC 2011 plays and controls

Butterytingz

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
Just a suggestion really...

Have set plays from the set pieces or breakdowns so in game this is how it would happen..

The ball is in your possession during a ruck, scrum or maul so you have one action button (LB or L1) and you hold the action button then the next button or stick you touch determines what happens next.

HOLD LB or L1
+ LS = pick up ball and run
+ RS held in a direction = deep kick
+ RS flicked in a direction = high kick
+ A or X = pass to fly half
+ X or Square = forwards pick and go
+ B or O = pass to a pod of forwards coming full tilt
+ Y or Triangle = pass to a centre
+ RB or R1 = pass to a winger

THESE ARE JUST SOME IDEAS I CAME UP WITH TO TRY TO GET MY IDEA ACROSS TO THE COMMUNITY SO PLEASE DONT HATE, HOPEFULLY THIS SPARKS UP SOME DISCUSSION WITHIN THE COMMUNITY :)

I don't mean to burst your bubble but that's kind of already in all of the Rugby games, except for the option to pass to a wing or centre, that's quite good and hasn't been done before (unless your fly-half's nowhere to be seen)

In Rugby 08, you held down L1/R1 to do a miss pass, why not have the same at a breakdown, where the pass misses the 10 for one of the centres?

well I have never played a rugby game before so I guess im just a genius :p

use LT as control/skill button (Xbox)...slows the player down a bit

Hold LT then flick R3 left then right= side step from left to right (and vise versa)

Hold LT and flick R3 forward= bosh

" and flick R3 back= hand off

Hold LT and pass for a miss pass (as holding pass button down for longer might take too long in try scoring situation) or double skip pass or to perform a switch in open play

Hold LT and kick for a chip kick/ crossfield kick

press LT then RT in quick succession after each other to perform goose step

-------------
have to press A and X fast to win rucks/mauls/scrums....Johna Lomu style (captured that side of the game perfectly)

I think, we should just stick to the old control scheme, with a hit stick tackle system, just an easy, and effective way to play :)

I think that the general controls from the previous games worked really well, but i'd like to see more variation in the kicking side of things...

To perform a punt press and hold A for more power. (No change there)
To perform a chip kick (variation of punt) tap A once and then hold it to add more power (although you shouldn't be able to get alot more power)

To perform an up-and-under press and hold Y for more power. (Again, no change)
To perform a chip kick with more height (variation of up-and-under) tap Y once and then hold to add more power (again, the max power of this kick should be mush lower)

The main reason i'd like to see these variations is to have a faster animation than before. The same rule could apply to all kicks, giving you a faster animation, but sacrificing power.
These kicks would be great when on attack to get over the advantage line, but also when defending inside your own 22 and you want to clear the ball but your players are crowded.

I agree that the previous systems were pretty good. A bit of tweaking to this and that would be good. I like the kicking ideas just mentioned, I would like to see Y for chip/bomb as said but A would be good for a quick long kick for under pressure kicks (real players don't need a long time to just kick it long but maybe at the cost of accuracy and some length). I think the bumpers will be for passing so X and B could be used for kicks left and right. Not sure about drop kicks (I like the idea of the left trigger to modify certain controls).

The main thing is forward play from the back of a ruck. It was just too easy to smash forward runners. Rugby is a game of variety and you just couldn't use forwards in multiplayer...

Ideas: (all 360 controls)
- Bumpers for backs ball (*I think the bumpers will be for passing this time)
- Y to box kick
- Push in left stick for pick and go
- Push in right stick for halfback run
- X or B for halfback pick & run right/left (known as turning the corner) then:
~X for left outside/inside runner
~B for right inside/outside runner
~A to go self
~Y to kick (this kick would be a lower longer stabbing kick as most half's often do after turning the corner)
~bumpers to 2nd man pass to first receiver or blindside play
~*the half would need a moment of grace (can't tackle them). Forcing the defense to commit to a runner.

That would be my big improvement in that area. I'd also love more options in the line-out:
- 3 options every line-out that can be rotated using the triggers (so its not always 2, 5 and over the top)
- get rid of the throw jump timing mechanic and just one button!!!
- hold for mall set
- tap for "off the top ball"
- double tap/tap with tripper or bumper to use a looping forward runner

The final big change I would make is at the breakdown. I want the user in control of when to pilfer, add player(s) or just get set:
- adding players with A (both offense and defense) would speed up/slow down the ball and if the Defense managed to get a couple more in it would trigger a counter ruck
- defense would be able to use the right stick to pilfer the ball (vibrates when pointing the right way, hold it in that spot to pilfer)
- *ref would call "hands away" then a penalty would come if you continue/get caught

They are my BIG changes from previous games. Rugby is all about variety, contest and choice. The player needs options from every scrum, line-out, ruck and mall and needs the power dictate how they play. Rugby shouldn't ever fall into the trap of one best method which the old games tended to do. The only real choice was kick or backs. This game should reflect the variety of play styles the real game has by enabling choice in all aspects of play. I think these suggestions hopefully will enable that.

Latest posts