• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

If you want to see bad reffing, go watch the quarter in 2007 again and then get back to me.

I watched it, then I watched this one. I also watched France-South Africa 1995. And a couple of other France vs. X games. But this isn't the topic. This thread is about yesterday game.

Stop to be bitter. ABs have won and that is it. We have watched the same match and I felt some odd calls at the beginning for ABs but in the second part, there has been some odd calls in favour of France. As I said, if you do not like ruck refering (as it is not so easy sometimes to refer rucks), go and watch rugby league.

Overall We did not outperform the blacks, it was an equal fight and both team would have deserved to win. I'm sad like every french because it is only one point but Weepu did miss 2 easy penalties. I'm not against talking about the refering but I guess we should open a larger topic about that and not just only for this match. there has been some odd calls for SA-Aussies, there has been some odd calls for Wales-france...etc etc.

in a game so close the ref is always gonna have a say in the outcome, what always irked me was having mike cronn as the irb scrum advisor
if stu dickinson was the ref france would have won:)

Nice to hear from you squirrel.

Agreed but Im not sure with the Stu Dickinson claim.

That's a very convenient highlights reel ;)

They didn't look at the instance in the first few minutes where a French player picked up the ball while they were on the ground, from an offside position, which was probably one of the most obvious penalties in the match. It's easy to find instance for/against any team in any match.

Again, a very convenient reel.

From a British/US TV (I guess setanta is US). I wouldn't say their point of view is biased.

I watched it, then I watched this one. I also watched France-South Africa 1995. And a couple of other France vs. X games. But this isn't the topic. This thread is about yesterday game.

Excuse me for butting in to your fellas business but arent yous on the subject of bad reffing?

From a British/US TV (I guess setanta is US). I wouldn't say their point of view is biased.
Thats one of the Irish channels actually.

I thought they make a fair point. Matt Williams (the Aussie) is a really good analyst. Francis is a bit of a gobshite but dont let it detract fromt he point they were trying to make. Its a valid point about the referee.

No one is saying New Zealand dont deserve it, but the refs need to be looked at.

Last edited:

I'm not saying their opinions on those particular incidents are biased, but there are a number of contentious decisions (or non decisions) that helped the French, and for whatever reason we didn't see any analysis of them.

I'm not saying their opinions on those particular incidents are biased, but there are a number of contentious decisions (or non decisions) that helped the French, and for whatever reason we didn't see any analysis of them.

Anyway it's all done, the game is over. The two teams were too close for you to be a indisputable world champion. You will have to show to the world that the cup is in the right hands. I have no doubt you will do it well and then everyone will shut up. ;)

Lol france has to pay a fare for the move during the Haka..It is a bit stupid as everybody appreciate the move

Isn't that an oxy-moron? ;-)

Probably haha.
I found myself cheering for the froggies even. Just happy england wasnt in the final! :p Didnt really care who won in the end but can fully understand how france might be feeling a bit butt hurt atm as theyre the issues we and the bokke supporters have to deal with NZ every year.

Thats one of the Irish channels actually.

This. Setanta is based in Ireland but broadcasts to some other countries. They used to broadcast to the US (which is how I watched a lot of rugby from over here) but stopped last year. Made me sad. :(

Maybe that's because it eventually helped the ABs more than the frenchs ?

This is a specially prepared reel of cherry picked highlights to show what they wanted to show, while editing out those things that didn't support their flawed case.

For example, they conveniently missed out showing the offside French player kicking the ball out of the NZ side of a ruck, and that led directly to Dusutoirs try.

If I could be bothered, and if I had a studio full of video techs, I could do a highlights reel that would show how France cheated.

Its also obvious that the idiot in the pink shirt hasn't got the foggiest idea about the Laws of the Game, and does not understand the concept of "materiality".

It is perfectly normal for Team 'A' to commit an offence and not be penalised but Team 'B' committing the same offence does get penalised, because the context of the two penalties is dfferent. Take the example of Kieren Reid and Morgan Parra

0:21 - Keiren Read goes offside, but when warned, steps back all the way to the offside line and DOES NOT TAKE PART IN THE PLAY

0:32 - Morgan Parra goes offside, then steps back but not all the way to the offside line before the play comes his way, AND THEN HE ATTEMPTS TO MAKE A TACKLE

Essentially, Parra's offence was material, because it affected play, Read's offence wasn't because it didn't affect play.

0:40 - Woodcock's tackle was NOT a high tackle under the Laws of the game. The FIRST point of contact was half-way between elbow and shoulder, then Trinh-Duc shrugged the tackle off by lifting his right arm up and ducking his head to the left. Woodcock's tackle arm goes completely over the top of Trinh-Duc's head and misses everything.

You are right about Parra but its a particularly harsh decision given that he too retreated well into an onside position before attempting to make the tackle.

If I could be bothered, and if I had a studio full of video techs, I could do a highlights reel that would show how France cheated.
Its not about New Zealand cheating, its about the referee. Look at 6 seconds in, and especially 1:15 in. Both are absolutely bizarre decisions, the second of which would have put France up by 2 points.

I understand some of your frustration but you cant be objective given the emotional roller coaster youve been on for the past week.

LOL if Joubert called all those "high" tackles, I have absolutely no doubt that the commentators, and the general population would be saying that Joubert was being soft and trying to make the game all about himself.

If those are some of the worst mistakes of his game, he did a good job.

For example, they conveniently missed out showing the offside French player kicking the ball out of the NZ side of a ruck, and that led directly to Dusutoirs try.

Directly ? You must probably be joking. I don't have the video while I'm typing this but there is first a moment of madness of a NZ player doing a pass to a french player, then there are at least two or three phases, with a first ruck near the centre of the field, then the ball goes wide on the left, then another ruck, then it goes back to the centre for Dusautoir who breaks the line.

I'm not even sure the french player kicking the ball is able to get it, it just makes the ball going backward in the ABs camp.

Lol france has to pay a fare for the move during the Haka..It is a bit stupid as everybody appreciate the move
Just claim that crossing the half way line in a v-formation is a "cultural issue" for the French and the IRB will have to allow it.... well it worked that way for the NZ dance thing anyway ;-)

My two cents worth is ( and this will sound biased ) but I do think the best team won the World Championship in the end even though they played the WORST game I have seen the ABs play in attacking terms anyway, but they were stopped from their natural flow of attack from a very committed and effective French defense.
This will probably go down like a lead balloon with some, but why don't they have 3 games to decide a world championship in Rugby. At least that way the predominantly stronger team would have a chance to redeem themselves after one bad game and maybe that would hose down another whole issue of any boofhead Refs ruining the game because of controversial calls which decide a result...... Not to mention we'd see a more realistic state of 2 teams real abilities.... Just a thought

smartcookie said:
This is a specially prepared reel of cherry picked highlights to show what they wanted to show, while editing out those things that didn't support their flawed case.

Then it might be easy for you to find on youtube a reel showing the opposite ?
I'd be interrested...

Latest posts