• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2015 Match Allocation and Venue Selection

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
With the draw and venues to be finalized sometime next week, I thought I'd take this opportunity to put forward my preferred venue list. I also received a bit of inspiration from this article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/feb/26/rugby-world-cup-grounds-fun-passion
Venues:
Wembley Stadium
Twickenham Stadium
Old Trafford
Millenium Stadium
St. James' Park
Villa Park
Elland Road
Stadium MK
Leicester City Stadium
Falmer Stadium
Kingsholm Stadium

From what I've heard, 12 venues is the requirement but I really can't think of a 12th stadium that I would want to host matches. I'd like Olympic Park to be used, but it's looking pretty unlikely at this point.

In terms of match allocation, I think Wembley would do nicely for South Africa vs. Scotland, England vs. Wales and France vs. Ireland. For Twickenham; England vs. Australia, France vs. Italy, South Africa vs. Samoa and New Zealand vs. Argentina. Old Trafford could host Ireland vs. Italy and England vs. Oceania 1 while Wales' smaller pool matches could be played in Cardiff (playing Wales' big matches there would cause too much controversy). Scotland vs. Samoa at Newcastle along with one of the qualifiers would be good too.

As for the smaller venues, I think it would be neat if Leicester hosted England vs. Play-off Winner (like how Toulouse hosted France vs. Namibia) while Falmer Stadium would be a great venue for some of France's smaller pool games.

As a Brummie i'd be very happy if Villa Park got a few games, i'd attend no matter who played as it's the World Cup and with Rugby expanding I probably won't get the chance again at home for many years.

Still don't agree with the Millennium Stadium being in the mix.
Agree with the above, would like to see Villa Park in the mix, as it's only a short train trip away :p
Going to try and see a few of a "minnows" games, wherever they may be.

Well a list of venues has been released, although I've been hearing that it ain't real. I honestly hope it is, though as it's pretty much my list plus Ashton Gate Stadium.

Ashton Gate has been dropped and Sandy Park added...

So Englands 4th city is being ignored for a rugby stadium... Never thought i'd see the day!

Thats disappointing to hear but with the proposed AG redeveloping going on Im not shocked.

Not disappointing for Cornwall and Devon based rugby fans!

Last edited:
Considering that Rugby is a huge part of the Cornish and Devonshire sports, I think its quite good, plus its not like people in Bristol are going to have to travel far... Gloucester and Millennium Stadium being really about 30/40 min drive away... I think it works out most people in the UK will be within an hour of a RWC game...

LOL for sure the guys trying to do the schedule are having a though time!!!
the RWC will take place right in the middle of the Premier League, UEFA Champions & Europa League, FA Cup, Rugby Premiership, H- and Amlin Cup...

Y'all are lucky. Of the three home matches the US is playing this summer, the closest is a 4 hr drive. The next two are 15 hours (Houston, TX), and 33 to 34 hours (Carson, CA).

Y'all are lucky. Of the three home matches the US is playing this summer, the closest is a 4 hr drive. The next two are 15 hours (Houston, TX), and 33 to 34 hours (Carson, CA).

you'll get your chance to host one in the future no doubt.

Old Trafford is out. Pulled back by the (club) owners. Three matches were scheduled to take place there. One will be moved to Manchester's Etihad Stadium which will result in a sales loss of 25.000 tickets.

The other two matches will probably be played at Millennium Stadium, Wembley or Twickers, if possible.

Last edited:

Lucky, I live in the Northeast...

Latest posts