• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2015 Organisers Consider Fan Segregation

I do really hope those boys don't play for Ireland though, regardless of quality. Awful state of affairs.

I love those panorama shots. I'm actually in both of those!

And on the whole soccer rivalry thing. Why would you want to create that level of it? The friendly polite atmosphere gets mentioned as a bad thing, I don't see it that way at all. It's great that you can go and enjoy the game with everyone all around you, and when the action picks up you can bet it'll get noisy. I think soccer fans cheer so much cus they're bored.

The polite friendly (no) atmosphere aspect of Rugby is what the Telegraph article was addressing by suggesting segregation to try and improve it. The biggest cheer of a recent England Rugby international game was when Beckham appeared on the big screen;

"Twickenham needs football's tribalism - it should rock through atmosphere not alcohol"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ould-rock-through-atmosphere-not-alcohol.html

Again, perhaps Rugby folk are accustomed to a lack of rivalry and atmosphere and are content with it (as the 96% who voted would suggest). The lack of tribalism means less headlines, and as a result less interest in the sport. The perception is it doesn't matter.

Thats just the fans. It also applies to the players and coaches...where's the needle?, the personalities? There must be some needle among players and coaches, there must be some personalities in the game....the problem is they are quickly muted.

Last edited:
Don't you just love the accepted contemporary meaning of the word 'personality'. Sorry, my cynicism is showing again.

Last edited:
Normally I'd dismiss nonsense (in this case the allegation of foreigners playing for Ireland)

Last international vs France, that won the six nations ***le.

Staring XV: R Kearney, Trimble, B O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, D Kearney, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Ross, Toner, O'Connell, O'Mahony, Henry, Heaslip.

Replacements: Cronin, McGrath, Moore, Henderson, Murphy, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden.

Thank Christ for all those foreigners....errrr. :lol:

You keep referring to an article from last year when referring Twickenham's lack of atmosphere, but ignore more recent ones which laud it's improvement (without needing to resort to vitriol).

How many times are you going to post the same article? do you have any other material to back up your claim?

Also this from the article must be pointed out:

"Full disclosure: I am a football fan, not a rugby fan. I am an Aston Villa fan with a soft spot for Northampton Town - I know mediocrity when I see it. But after years of hearing of rugby's fantastic, fraternal matchday experience, it was time to give it a try. No corporate hospitality, no PR prawn-sandwich junket, just a £65 ticket as an ordinary punter."

So he's not exactly unbiased is he?

Also lets be clear he's talking about twickenham and yet he presumes that is Rugby world wide.

Last edited:
The polite friendly (no) atmosphere aspect of Rugby is what the Telegraph article was addressing by suggesting segregation to try and improve it. The biggest cheer of a recent England Rugby international game was when Beckham appeared on the big screen;

"Twickenham needs football's tribalism - it should rock through atmosphere not alcohol"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ould-rock-through-atmosphere-not-alcohol.html

Again, perhaps Rugby folk are accustomed to a lack of rivalry and atmosphere and are content with it (as the 96% who voted would suggest). The lack of tribalism means less headlines, and as a result less interest in the sport. The perception is it doesn't matter.

Thats just the fans. It also applies to the players and coaches...where's the needle?, the personalities? There must be some needle among players and coaches, there must be some personalities in the game....the problem is they are quickly muted.

How often do you got to watch rugby? actually watch it in a stadium? have you ever been to twickenham? have you ever been to an international?

You keep referring to an article from last year when referring Twickenham's lack of atmosphere, but ignore more recent ones which laud it's improvement (without needing to resort to vitriol).

The Telegraph article in the OP of the thread. It's not a case of needing to post a link we see it every week.

passion
ˈpaʃ(ə)n/<input style="height:16px;width:16px" height="16" type="image" width="16">
noun
noun: passion; plural noun: passions; noun: Passion; noun: the Passion
strong and barely controllable emotion.
"a man of impetuous passion"

hatred
ˈheɪtrɪd/<input style="height:16px;width:16px" height="16" type="image" width="16">
noun
noun: hatred; plural noun: hatreds
intense dislike; hate.
"racial hatred"

Some people need to learn the difference.

Hey, I happen to rate Roux.

The man is behind a geriatric and a ginger, a pretty unfortunate turn of events for anyone. Especially when it's behind them for a bench spot.

Anyway, yeah rugby atmosphere is grand. Atmosphere isn't simply shouting abuse.

Last edited:

"Twickenham needs football’s tribalism - it should rock through atmosphere not alcohol"

That's the thing though, it's not "being content with lack of atmosphere and rivalry", when there IS atmosphere and rivalry, and a good amount. I've been to four or five international games, and it's always great. Rugby isn't on TV here so I got an online subscription, and it seems pretty good to me as well.

Needle, personality, headlines? That's not why I love rugby, or any other sport. In fact I could do without it sometimes. I get so tired of hearing about Sydney Crosby that it was really satisfying watching the Penguins get eliminated last night, so maybe everyone will shut up about him already. Do you know how sick I am of hearing what players tweeted what? I don't give a flying f**k, shut the hell up and play.

I don't know hardly any of the players in the Aviva, doesn't stop me from watching every week. If I could go to games I would. I'll hopefully be going to an Ontario Blues game this summer, and I have no idea who ANY of those guys are. It's not about the personalities of the guys on the field, it's the actions ON THE FIELD of the guys on the field.

Going to games is a chance to do something with friends, enjoy some beers and hopefully nice weather, cheer on your team and most of all watch some good rugby. Why you'd want to ruin that with anger, hatred, players and fans insulting each other, is beyond me .

Ok I've read the responses and accept that Rugby folk are content with the status quo (the Telgraph poll of over 96% who voted against segregation back that up).

I've tried to broaden it though, from just being about the lack of intense rivalry hence no need for segregation....to a much broader aspect of the lack of needle among players, coaches, fans, the lack of personalities (I'm sure there are some..they're muted)...the lack of headlines, the lack of storylines. Rugby is just results....that's the only thing that makes the news...results.

My own belief is that much of what I've mentioned is missing in Rugby is because unlike most other sports Rugby folk are more refined, better educated, and are therefore more averse to being anything other than upstanding people. Many players and coaches are lawyers, accountants, vets...etc. Rugby being a private school game many of the fans are from a similar background. Going to the game; "A Day at the Rugby". Being well mannered, decent chaps is all well and good from a society viewpoint, but not in the dog eat dog world of the sports arena. Rugby has the game to be showbusiness but not the people (fans, players, coaches).

Rugby is a fantastic game but lacks personality. I mentioned before that one of the few high profile players Jonah Lomu should have been used more by NZ to promote the game, and John Hart said it was such a waste that he wasnt. Kiwi responses disagreed stating "he's a big head". Gavin Henson was routinely ridiculed for displaying his character...not Rugby behaviour was the consensus. There is a definite snobbery there. Most other sports I can think off have so many high profile personalities in and around the game. Even cricket with the likes of Freddie Flintoff, plus as a sport it has tried to jazz things up with 20:20.

Last edited:
Ok I've read the responses and accept that Rugby folk are content with the status quo (the Telgraph poll of over 96% who voted against segregation back that up).

I've tried to broaden it though, from just being about the lack of intense rivalry hence no need for segregation....to a much broader aspect of the lack of needle among players, coaches, fans, the lack of personalities (I'm sure there are some..they're muted)...the lack of headlines, the lack of storylines. Rugby is just results....that's the only thing that makes the news...results.

My own belief is that much of what I've mentioned is missing in Rugby is because unlike most other sports Rugby folk are more refined, better educated, and are therefore more averse to being anything other than upstanding people. Many players and coaches are lawyers, accountants, vets...etc. Rugby being a private school game many of the fans are from a similar background. Going to the game; "A Day at the Rugby". Being well mannered, decent chaps is all well and good from a society viewpoint, but not in the dog eat dog world of the sports arena. Rugby has the game to be showbusiness but not the people (fans, players, coaches).

Rugby is a fantastic game but lacks personality. I mentioned before that one of the few high profile players Jonah Lomu should have been used more by NZ to promote the game, and John Hart said it was such a waste that he wasnt. Kiwi responses disagreed stating "he's a big head". Gavin Henson was routinely ridiculed for displaying his character...not Rugby behaviour was the consensus. There is a definite snobbery there. Most other sports I can think off have so many high profile personalities in and around the game. Even cricket with the likes of Freddie Flintoff, plus as a sport it has tried to jazz things up with 20:20.

You have the Leinster crest as part of your profile but talk about a lack of needle, have you ever been to a Leinster Munster match? Especially around 2009?

There is plenty of incredible personalities in rugby. You don't have to be loud to be a personality.

You really seem to be a football fan who just has a small interest in rugby.

No I'm a casual Rugby fan...and it's the casual fans that Rugby is lacking. The established hardcore will always be there, those who go week in week out, traditionalist, Rugby folk. And it's Rugby folk who are against change, progress...the top being grey men in grey suits as Carling once labelled it. There is a snobbish element that is holding the sport back.

Holding it back from what?

...Quadrupling it's showpiece's broadcasting revenue?...more than Tripling it's sponsorship revenue?

Getting 7's olympic status and significantly increasing the ball in play time in the full game?

What exactly are they holding the sport back from?

Last edited:
No I'm a casual Rugby fan...and it's the casual fans that Rugby is lacking. The established hardcore will always be there, those who go week in week out, traditionalist, Rugby folk. And it's Rugby folk who are against change, progress...the top being grey men in grey suits as Carling once labelled it. There is a snobbish element that is holding the sport back.

Rugby has plenty of casual fans, I see a number every day. Rugby is also one of the most progressive sports around. It is willing to change laws and look at new technologies, while sports like soccer are unchanging. You're also using a quote from a man who retired at the start of the professioal era, nearly 20 years ago. During that time rugby has changed massively and it's not the lack of running rugby that you harp on about.

I find it astonishing how anyone can say there is no atmosphere at Twickers when 2 games last 6 nations had many commentating how loud the crowd were and the fantastic astmosphere (Eng v Wal and Eng v Ire). I'm quite happy without petty chants and outright hostility. The friendlier environment of rugby is far superior to a football environment and would not want that changed.

It's an incredible view point.

Rugby has some of the most passionate fans in sport.

Just look at any top 14 game. Bands in the crowd, things thrown on the pitch. Look at Biarritz when they took their H cup semi on the road in Catalan.

Look how home advantage is such a big thing, how the crowd can make an extra man almost. The Welford road faithful?

Rugby is a violent enough sport but it's about controlling that aggression and respect. It doesn't needed more needle it had more than enough already, just ask any Bath or Gloucester fan about friendly needle.

You probably don't notice any of this as you clearly don't follow rugby in any detail.

Latest posts