• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Australia - Ireland (17-09-2011 20:30)

F****s sake, I said Ireland deserved the win - I'm not allowed to say that SOB didn't make many/any breaks?
That's just a fact (as agreed upon by others) - However he got through a bum load of work in the tight, so it all evens out in the end

Some people are far too precious...
You stated that the Aussies had found him out when pretty much everyone agrees he had a monster game in the loose. Your open for criticism there if your looking to focus on the fact that he didnt make any 20 metre runs. He carried over 10 times and pretty much broke the gainline every single time. Thats forcing soak tackles, creating fast bell and putting the entire team on the front foot.

Of course that also doesnt take into account the turnovers, the tackle count, and the rucks hit. He had a fantastic game all round.

Incidently, its not being precious pointing out that you are wrong, especially when you are wrong.

Cooper has said Aus didn't know about the "choke" tackling now that is arrogance not researching the team your playing I mean they've been using it since the 6n.

Great win for us and I thought the passion and commitment shown was far greater and more important than any players individual performance. I thought the pack was absolutely stunning however the back's especially the back three have more to give in attack (although the tactic used by Ireland was not really made to incorporated the back three that much)

My starting 15 player ratings:

Healy-9
Best-8
Ross-8
DOC-7
POC-9
Ferris-8
Heaslip-7
Reddan-7
Sexton-6
Earls-6
D'Arcy-7
BOD-7
Bowe-6
Kearney-7

What about Sean O'Brien? Guy had an awesome game and must deserve a rating surely?

You stated that the Aussies had found him out when pretty much everyone agrees he had a monster game in the loose. Your open for criticism there if your looking to focus on the fact that he didnt make any 20 metre runs. He carried over 10 times and pretty much broke the gainline every single time. Thats forcing soak tackles, creating fast bell and putting the entire team on the front foot.

Of course that also doesnt take into account the turnovers, the tackle count, and the rucks hit. He had a fantastic game all round.

Incidently, its not being precious pointing out that you are wrong, especially when you are wrong.

He made 0 turnovers, made one clean break - made a decent amount of tackles (more than any other Irish player - but only as many as Horwill did) and gave away the most penalties
However he did make a lot of carries, 12 for 45 metres, which is a lot more than anyone else (closest was Cooper at 10 and then POC at 7)

The Aussies shut down his trademark big runs, all I was saying

Like I said, the Irish are far too sensitive when it comes to anything which can be perceived negative said about SOB

I was reading an article in the Times today about the lack of homework done by Australia. We were all saying Ireland must do their homework (which they did perfectly) but no one mentioned that Australia needed to their homework aswell. When asked about the choke tackle tactic used so effectively by Ireland both Cooper and Deans said they didn't expect Ireland to use a tactic like that. Ireland have been using the tactic for a long time now and had the wallabies really studied Ireland's game plan they would have seen how Ireland hold individual runners up causing a turnover and therefore Australia wouldn't have used the McCabe crash ball etc as they did. This article also got me thinking what other parts of Ireland's game did Australia not expect? Did they not know how improved Irelands scrum was? Did they not know how dominant Ireland's backrow especially O'Brien can be? Did they not know that Ireland would have such great support that the players would feed off?

I predicted the rise of SOB to these dizzying heights many moons ago...and I was laughed at .. ..I will not hear a bad word said against him :p

I predicted the rise of SOB to these dizzying heights many moons ago...and I was laughed at .. ..I will not hear a bad word said against him :p

I Remember watching a Leinster match around the time of the last Lions tour and I was watching it on a stream with one of those chat things (I don't know why i engaged, I usually just block them or turn them off) but I was saying that Sean O'Brien would end up a quality player and was laughed and called an idiot by one guy.

Hahahahaha. That guy was an idiot.

Indeed on this very forum I said SOB will be pressing Ferris for his place soon enough ...back in V early 2010

He made 0 turnovers, made one clean break - made a decent amount of tackles (more than any other Irish player - but only as many as Horwill did) and gave away the most penalties
However he did make a lot of carries, 12 for 45 metres, which is a lot more than anyone else (closest was Cooper at 10 and then POC at 7)

The Aussies shut down his trademark big runs, all I was saying

Like I said, the Irish are far too sensitive when it comes to anything which can be perceived negative said about SOB

You should have said that then rather than saying he was 'found out' when he was one of the better players on the park.. He didn't make any clean linebreaks but surely that doesn't mean he was found out when he had a very decent game.

Indeed on this very forum I said SOB will be pressing Ferris for his place soon enough ...back in V early 2010

O'Brien will have to learn to play 7 or tell Heaslip to do one ;)

In all seriousness, neither O'Brien or Ferris are droppable when fit, not the way they're playing right now. Its great for Kidney to have that option to make sure standards stay high, but right now, you get them both on the park and sit back and see who kills more people.

As his opening gambit, Ferris has invented Dwarf conkers

Your move O'Brien.

Last edited by a moderator:
O'Brien will have to learn to play 7 or tell Heaslip to do one ;)

In all seriousness, neither O'Brien or Ferris are droppable when fit, not the way they're playing right now. Its great for Kidney to have that option to make sure standards stay high, but right now, you get them both on the park and sit back and see who kills more people.

As his opening gambit, Ferris has invented Dwarf conkers

Your move O'Brien.

I love how O'Connor comes in to make an impact but ends up getting bouldered by Genia and holding on for dear life. Hilarious :D

Last edited by a moderator:
He made 0 turnovers, made one clean break
Source?
Take a look at the highlights. Queue forward to about 1:30 minutes. Turnover number one...... Sean O'Brien. Seriously, did you even watch the game?
Its not about sensitivity, in fact you seem to be getting overly defensive. I'm just trying to educate you.

ESPN stats, and yes I did watch the game

This happens every single time that SOB has a quiet game - Leinster fans start sh***ing themselves saying he's perfect

I'll be the first to say he's a great player, because he is - for Leinster he's one of the best 6s in the world, he's just not as good for Ireland yet, especially in the 7 shirt

This happens every single time that SOB has a quiet game - Leinster fans start sh***ing themselves saying he's perfect
Just thought I'd throw in the ratings from a few media outlets around the world (and Ireland). The majority of which had him as man of the match, or close to it.
Again Olyy, this is what you do. Scream "precious" everytime an Irish poster dissagrees with you. If you want us to stop challenging you, stop talking shite. Its predictable, its far too easy to counter and its becoming a little pathetic.

Sydney morning herald match ratings: Sean O'Brien.
Got the Irish going forward with his muscular carries and huge work rate. Man of the match. 9

Stuff.co.nz had O'Brien as MoM. Sean O'Brien (Ireland) - His tight five deserved much of the plaudits but the flanker produced a high work-rate around the park and displayed a heap of defensive desire.

RTE put him just behind Cian Healy - Sean O'Brien - Supremely dynamic alongside Ferris, making fantastic yardage and showing his unique brand of ball-carrying to a new audience. Try-saver on Genia (again) has to get a mention too. 8.

The Independent (UK Site) - Sean O'Brien : Man of the match. The European Player Of The Year was immense. Not considered a natural 7, he will have benefited from David Pocock's absence, but no taking away from the Carlow native - he blew the heralded Wallabies back row away. Unstoppable when in full-flow, he continually punched massive holes in the Aussie defence and made big tackle after big tackle. 9

Irish Independent - SEAN O'BRIEN: Grew in influence as the match progressed, performing a try-saving tackle on Will Genia and carrying well. 8

ESPN stats, and yes I did watch the game

I'll be the first to say he's a great player, because he is - for Leinster he's one of the best 6s in the world, he's just not as good for Ireland yet, especially in the 7 shirt

I have to say I didnt think he was doing much either at first. He grew into the game a lot. First half was pretty good, second was very good. He's definitely had better performances for Leinster (see every Heineken Cup pool match of last year and the second half of the final). His irish performances to date havent been up to scratch at all and he failed to shine in the 6 nations but I would say this was by far his best performance in green. His try-saving tackle on Genia when Aus were camping on our line was perverted

Latest posts