• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: New Zealand - Japan (16-09-2011)

quick question to you All Black fans, I have one transfer left on my fantasy team and wanna stick a back in, who would be best? Thinking either Conrad Smith or Slade atm! Will Slade kick, and do people reckon he'll play the whole game, or will Weepu come on at some point to play 10?

quick question to you All Black fans, I have one transfer left on my fantasy team and wanna stick a back in, who would be best? Thinking either Conrad Smith or Slade atm! Will Slade kick, and do people reckon he'll play the whole game, or will Weepu come on at some point to play 10?

I doubt Slade will play a whole game but he might. Slades not the best kicker tbh, i would favour Smith. Anything can happen though.

I think the back Three will all have big games so if your missing one pick them up. Jane in particular has a lot to prove.

people still *****ing about rotation? we're only one game in and in the first game the team was only about two selections off a full strength team. And if not for injuries this side would have been a virtual full strength team. Rotation was 6-8+ changes a game none injury forced. The only changes made before the injuries were to bring the team up to full strength.

Calling the changes a bluff is utter bulldust. Both Mills and McCaw need game time and there is no reason to leave Dagg out unless he's not 100%.

Moderators note: No illegal streams on the forum please!

TRF_Olyy

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to get a bit more excited about the match. Again I'm not too worried about the score (as long as the AB's have more points than Japan), it is about the performance. The main things I'm looking at:

-Locks, Sam Whitelock in particular. I really rate the guy, but he's had a very quiet season. He's not the most physical player, so needs to make up for that by having a huge work-rate around the field, but I haven't really seen that yet. Personally I would have loved to have seen Boric start this match, but it seems that he only rated as the 4th lock in the squad.

- Vito at 8, Thomson at 7. Both need big games - whoever has the best game will likely start against France at number 8. Thomson probably has the hardest task, as 7 which is clearly not his best position. When he plays 7 he often tries to do too much at the breakdown, and as a result gets heavily penalized. He just needs to be a bit smarter at the breakdown and not try to turnover/slow-down the ball ever time, but rather pick the right times to do this.

- Andy Ellis. I've never rated him at international level, but he hasn't been too bad this year. I can actually see why he is picked in the squad: he gets to the breakdown fast (quicker than Cowan, and especially Weepu), and when he gets there he almost immediately passes the ball (rather than summing up the situation like Weepu/Cowan do). He may take 2-3 steps before passing (which is frustrating!), but if the AB's get quick ball at the breakdown he is very good at getting this ball quickly out to the backs, who can then take advantage of the opposition backs who haven't yet set up their defense line. This style of play is very effective if the AB's can get quick ball - if they get slow ball he is far less effective (indeed he is probably a liability) as the 2-3 steps he takes before passing means the opposition backs (who are all set up due to the slow ball) are already in the AB's back-line by the time the ball gets there. He is probably still only the third ranked halfback in the squad, but his ability to raise the tempo of the game is something that the AB's selectors may consider a big asset against teams who like to play a slower more structured game (e.g South Africa).

- Kahui/Jane/Toeava. I think Kahui and Jane are the top two ranked wings in the squad at the moment (with Toeava 3rd ranked) - they will both want strong games to confirm their spots versus France. Toeava always plays his best rugby at fullback in my opinion, and I'm hoping he will have a huge game there. He seems like a confidence player; a big game at fullback could give him huge confidence for the rest of the tournament. If he could bring his Super Rugby form into the international stage that would be great news for the AB's - he hasn't been too bad for the AB's this year, he's just made a number of little errors which he wasn't making during the Super Rugby season.

Overall I'm picking the AB's to win it pretty convincingly, by about 50 points.

Last edited:
I'm supporting Japan this game because it's so boring supporting the All Blacks when they are playing a team they are expected to waste.

there are talks about SBW coming in the back 3 this game. he has been taking alot of high kicks at practice

I think the back Three will all have big games so if your missing one pick them up. Jane in particular has a lot to prove.

people still *****ing about rotation? we're only one game in and in the first game the team was only about two selections off a full strength team. And if not for injuries this side would have been a virtual full strength team. Rotation was 6-8+ changes a game none injury forced. The only changes made before the injuries were to bring the team up to full strength.

Calling the changes a bluff is utter bulldust. Both Mills and McCaw need game time and there is no reason to leave Dagg out unless he's not 100%.

Our top 10 needs time to gel together, they haven't so far this world cup. Your supposed 2 selections off could be 5 for all we know.
This team we have put out is clearly going to beat Japan, but it wont help us come play off time because our top team hasn't had a chance to play a few games together. Henry said we would see our top team play Tonga and that clearly didn't happen.

Last edited:
I don't really know much about the Japanese team. How close to full strength is it?

For some reason... Since SLade is in the starting lineup, he could single handedly win the match for the japanese team!

Slade will score more points than the whole Japanese team combined....

Interestingly you can actually place bets like that at the NZ TAB, e.g.:
-Who will score more tries: Ma'a Nonu or Japan (currently Nonu is the favorite at $2.25, followed by a tie at $2.80, with Japan paying $3.10..)
-All Blacks tries vs Japan points (Japan points is just the favourite, paying $1.70..)

I don't really know much about the Japanese team. How close to full strength is it?

Not very close. The full strength team played against France - this is largely a second string Japanese lineup, with probably only 2-3 of the team first team players (e.g. Onozawa and Leitch).

Last edited:
Starting to get a bit more excited about the match. Again I'm not too worried about the score (as long as the AB's have more points than Japan), it is about the performance. The main things I'm looking at:

-Locks, Sam Whitelock in particular. I really rate the guy, but he's had a very quiet season. He's not the most physical player, so needs to make up for that by having a huge work-rate around the field, but I haven't really seen that yet. Personally I would have loved to have seen Boric start this match, but it seems that he only rated as the 4th lock in the squad.

- Vito at 8, Thomson at 7. Both need big games - whoever has the best game will likely start against France at number 8. Thomson probably has the hardest task, as 7 which is clearly not his best position. When he plays 7 he often tries to do too much at the breakdown, and as a result gets heavily penalized. He just needs to be a bit smarter at the breakdown and not try to turnover/slow-down the ball ever time, but rather pick the right times to do this.

- Andy Ellis. I've never rated him at international level, but he hasn't been too bad this year. I can actually see why he is picked in the squad: he gets to the breakdown fast (quicker than Cowan, and especially Weepu), and when he gets there he almost immediately passes the ball (rather than summing up the situation like Weepu/Cowan do). He may take 2-3 steps before passing (which is frustrating!), but if the AB's get quick ball at the breakdown he is very good at getting this ball quickly out to the backs, who can then take advantage of the opposition backs who haven't yet set up their defense line. This style of play is very effective if the AB's can get quick ball - if they get slow ball he is far less effective (indeed he is probably a liability) as the 2-3 steps he takes before passing means the opposition backs (who are all set up due to the slow ball) are already in the AB's back-line by the time the ball gets there. He is probably still only the third ranked halfback in the squad, but his ability to raise the tempo of the game is something that the AB's selectors may consider a big asset against teams who like to play a slower more structured game (e.g South Africa).

- Kahui/Jane/Toeava. I think Kahui and Jane are the top two ranked wings in the squad at the moment (with Toeava 3rd ranked) - they will both want strong games to confirm their spots versus France. Toeava always plays his best rugby at fullback in my opinion, and I'm hoping he will have a huge game there. He seems like a confidence player; a big game at fullback could give him huge confidence for the rest of the tournament. If he could bring his Super Rugby form into the international stage that would be great news for the AB's - he hasn't been too bad for the AB's this year, he's just made a number of little errors which he wasn't making during the Super Rugby season.

Overall I'm picking the AB's to win it pretty convincingly, by about 50 points.

I'm not chairman of the Andy Ellis fan club either, but one of the best games I saw him play, was for the Crusaders this year, were the conditions were atrocious ... I cant remember who it was against, but he controlled the game very well, in very heavy rain.

... this gives me confidence because, apparently the forecast is for rain.

Graham Henry has hinted that SBW might play in a different position, and I know that there was a previous post indicating a back three position, but I was wondering if he might get game time as a loose forward, given that we don't have any on the bench

I'm not chairman of the Andy Ellis fan club either, but one of the best games I saw him play, was for the Crusaders this year, were the conditions were atrocious ... I cant remember who it was against, but he controlled the game very well, in very heavy rain.

... this gives me confidence because, apparently the forecast is for rain.

Graham Henry has hinted that SBW might play in a different position, and I know that there was a previous post indicating a back three position, but I was wondering if he might get game time as a loose forward, given that we don't have any on the bench

I can't see them playing him in the loose forwards (but I have been wrong before...). Both Sam Whitelock and Anthony Boric are capable of playing 6, so I'd expect one of those two to play 6 should one of the loose-forwards go off. There isn't really any outside back cover; they can either put Slade into the back three, or play Nonu/SBW on the wing - they probably see this as a good game to test SBW's ability on the wing.

I can't see them playing him in the loose forwards (but I have been wrong before...). Both Sam Whitelock and Anthony Boric are capable of playing 6, so I'd expect one of those two to play 6 should one of the loose-forwards go off. There isn't really any outside back cover; they can either put Slade into the back three, or play Nonu/SBW on the wing - they probably see this as a good game to test SBW's ability on the wing.

I agree SBW will play on the wing, if he plays well he will have supposedly added utility value and will cement his position on the bench for the play offs. Sounds logical to me.

yeah, just can't see what the big secret is, if all they are doing is giving him game time on the wing ... why not just say he's wing cover, and be done with it

Lol.. Thats what they said about Giteau before he played against the Manu Samoa.. Weird.

Playing against a Japan 'B' team is very different to playing against a full strength Samoan team.... I'd be surprised if Slade doesn't score more points than Japan.

Ended up going for Conrad Smith, figured (barring injury) they might give him a full game because Nonu and SBW played against Tonga. Plus I'm a huge fan of his, seems to always score in the Tri-Nations and I'm sure he'll pick up a few assists too hopefully!
Come in from a night out last night thinking I wouldn't be up at all for this one...my cat decided I was the best person to wake up because she wanted food so didn't need even need to set an alarm :p Looking forward to it anyway! Can sleep some more after the final whistle.

Latest posts