• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: New Zealand - Japan (16-09-2011)

He did look offside, so poor judgment there. But does it really matter at the end of the day?

No, not at all. I just mentioned it when it happened, doesn't matter at all.

I'm watching this in Italian, did I miss something or was the Second Japanese try called back incorrectly?

I didn't have any clue who was playing where in the All Black backline at the end there though... as far as I could tell it was Cown 9. Weepu mostly at 10 Sonny Bill wherever he felt like popping up, Conrad Smith nowhere to be found (went missing loads of times, must have been in the rucks), then Toeava 15 and Kahui 11

Bit gutted that Nige denied us what was one of the tries of the tournament :(

Aye - decent enough club level player, but has put in some shocking performances for the All Blacks

Yeah, Wynand Olivier springs to mind for SA; players that look like they should be able to make that step up to test rugby but fall short while getting a LOT of chances.

Turkey Sausage?

He was infront of the kicker...is he exempt from this rule or is the entire New Zealand team?

Apologies for the harsh, blunt response as I'm very drunk right now.

I didn't notice it myself, but my ... perception isn't very good right now in any case.

Perhaps you could tell me which position Weepu is playing along with every other person who is currently playing out of position. I'm serious, I'm bloody confused.

Mate, was just saying that when you saw Henry put SBW at wing, you called him a f*ing idiot (which is a bit extreme for putting a big fast guy with good hands in that position). Yet, you were happy to say no to Slade, Cruden & Donald for a player who's played 85% of his career at half-back to move into first-five. Sure he's played there before. Sure I think he's pretty damn good there too, but it's based on playing someone in a position that they don't have a lot of international experience in.

Any good idea always starts out with some experiments and surely Henry can run SBW mildly out of position without being called an f*ing idiot if they can play Weepu at first-five.

Not trying to give you a hard time, was just a comment that seemed worth remarking about to me. :)

Apologies for the harsh, blunt response as I'm very drunk right now.

I didn't notice it myself, but my ... perception isn't very good right now in any case.

You are lovely. Have a chocolate.

JI'm sure when NZ come up against France they'll have more structure, McCaw back and not miss quite let quite as many breaks. Must say I've been very impressed by Kahui...

No, not at all. I just mentioned it when it happened, doesn't matter at all.

I'm watching this in Italian, did I miss something or was the Second Japanese try called back incorrectly?

No, after all, it was a forward pass.
But Italian commentators were joking about denying a try scored by a back flip pass from a prop!

Let it go!!! :D

No, after all, it was a forward pass.
But Italian commentators were joking about denying a try scored by a back flip pass from a prop!

Let it go!!! :D

Ah yeah. I'd live by that Philosphy also.

I like Italian TV. We always have old men hosting the analysis...Italy has a babe with a Clipboard.

NICE.

Ah yeah. I'd live by that Philosphy also.

I like Italian TV. We always have old men hosting the analysis...Italy has a babe with a Clipboard.

NICE.

And we get Lawrence Dallaglio chaffing on about England after every match... <_< well that just sucks...lucky Italians

He did look offside, so poor judgment there. But does it really matter at the end of the day?

I paused it when the kick was taken, and it was a line call i think. if i wasnt watching it with grant fox keep banging on about that it was offside i would have said it was offside, but i dont like grant fox so he was fine ;)s

Mate, was just saying that when you saw Henry put SBW at wing, you called him a f*ing idiot (which is a bit extreme for putting a big fast guy with good hands in that position). Yet, you were happy to say no to Slade, Cruden & Donald for a player who's played 85% of his career at half-back to move into first-five. Sure he's played there before. Sure I think he's pretty damn good there too, but it's based on playing someone in a position that they don't have a lot of international experience in.

Any good idea always starts out with some experiments and surely Henry can run SBW mildly out of position without being called an f*ing idiot if they can play Weepu at first-five.

Not trying to give you a hard time, was just a comment that seemed worth remarking about to me. :)

Yeah, I didn't understand your argument at first but I've adjusted my other post to suit - I'll blame the cold beverages for the emotional outburst.

My reasoning for calling him an idiot is that it was more or less these exact tactics that cost him the WC last time. Henry has already admitted that his top XV needs to be match fit for the knockouts and failing to achieve this was their downfall in 2007 along with the selection dilemmas. So even with that said, you've still got one of our expected starters being pulled after 40 minutes for an out-of-position player who is fighting for a bench spot. Not to mention said reserve had a full 80 minutes of game time last week while our expected starter has barely racked up 50 minutes in 2 matches. And big guy or no, you and I both know SBW is not a winger.

Even if we ignore this, we've still got rotation happening at halfback, hooker, the midfield, the second row, and out wide. So much for a battle hardened, co-oridinated XV. Henry is still clueless over some selections (ring any bells?)

As for Weepu, he was always going to get a run at first five. That was a call Henry had made with the 30 man naming so you can't really call me out for having a hypocritical view. Even so, I personally think he's an excellent first five and I wouldn't call it so bluntly that he'd playing out of position. Yes, he's played most of his rugby at half back, but he's also proven at first five. At any rate, it's not like throwing a player who's soley a second five onto the right wing:p

And just on Slade, I do like him. I'd still prefer him over Cruden or Doanld. I only said that Weepu should make an appearence because Slade was starting to look rattled.

I know you were just having a laugh so well done on making me explain myself. :)

Last edited:
I agree, we've had two games and the chopping and changing is a bit stupid. If SBW is now a midfielder/winger as an impact player, why wouldn't we just take Rene Ranger who can play centre and is a way better winger? Head scratching to say the least. Jane needed way more gametime ahead of a huge game against France even if it is in a rout just get him out there linking up with people for god's sake.

Slade is the player I always thought he was, I've always been adament Cruden is better and Slade is proving me right every game. Cruden would've had about 15 linebreaks (slight exaggeration) in that game, Slade had none. I actually could've played the exact game Slade did tonight; shift everything, miss every kick that wasn't in front and give up a try the one time he tried to make something happen (when there was a big overlap outside him). Stuart Barnes made a good point in the post match commentary; Slade just proved that Weepu is our back up 10. If he couldn't play well under zero pressure in that game, he will be hopeless in a big game.

I agree, we've had two games and the chopping and changing is a bit stupid. If SBW is now a midfielder/winger as an impact player, why wouldn't we just take Rene Ranger who can play centre and is a way better winger? Head scratching to say the least. Jane needed way more gametime ahead of a huge game against France even if it is in a rout just get him out there linking up with people for god's sake.

Slade is the player I always thought he was, I've always been adament Cruden is better and Slade is proving me right every game. Cruden would've had about 15 linebreaks (slight exaggeration) in that game, Slade had none. I actually could've played the exact game Slade did tonight; shift everything, miss every kick that wasn't in front and give up a try the one time he tried to make something happen (when there was a big overlap outside him). Stuart Barnes made a good point in the post match commentary; Slade just proved that Weepu is our back up 10. If he couldn't play well under zero pressure in that game, he will be hopeless in a big game.

The only issue I have about people calling out Cruden over Slade is that they're basing the judgment primarily on the ITM Cup. If we were going to do that then surely Stephen Donald should be in the mix. I recall the match against the Wallabies last year where Cruden looked much worst than anything Slade has shown thus far and yet it was Slade who came on to help win back the game... I'm not suggesting Cruden wouldn't be better in this particular situation but it's a bit far fetched to say that Cruden would be able to handle the pressure better after what last year's game showed. The reality is that we simply don't know who the better candidate would be (foresight would suggest Cruden) Unfortunatly it's far too late to start thinking about it. This was an issue that Henry and his two wise muppets needed to sort out about three years ago.

Last edited:

Henry is an idiot. SBW isn't a wing and the only reason he did well was because it was basically touch rugby against Japan, positional play didn't really matter. Stick him on the wing versus France or Australia and he will be punished all night long. He was also smashed into touch by one of the Japanese locks and then smashed again by the same guy forcing a knock on. For someone who is supposed to be incredibly big and strong, he didn't seem to bring any physical presence and felt Jane brought more physical presence than SBW.

Nonu, Smith and Kaino were the keys tonight, just like Kaino and Nonu last week. I think those three players do far more than any other player in the All Blacks. Mccaw is passed it and Carter wouldn't be much anymore without Nonu and Smith outside him.

Latest posts