• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

I was asking myself the exact same thing.

Same here. If it was 15 minutes latger perhaps, but at the time the Boks were rattled and we could have scored again (same with the time Priestland attempted a DG).
We'll soon see if this is a fluke or if Wales really have turned a corner. Big match the weekend, looking sort of forward to it!

Well, looks like I missed about 20 pages of an epic thread. Best of luck to Wales for the rest of the RWC; do an England and meet us in the finals. Group D FTW!

Pass did look a tad forward, but the ref missed a million forward passes on our side too. Like that little Fourie du Preez brain fart with Hougaard.

Pass did look a tad forward, but the ref missed a million forward passes on our side too. Like that little Fourie du Preez brain fart with Hougaard.

yeah I know.

but wales did get a penalty immediately after that Du Preez/Hougaard tennis stint... but it didn't really had an impact on the game. this try on the other hand did... Wales should be glad that Johan Meeuwesen wasn't the TMO!

Isn't the new rule you should look at the motion of the passer's hands and the direction in which he releases the ball?

Based on that, it might have been flat but Priestland clearly passed it forward.

Well, looks like I missed about 20 pages of an epic thread. Best of luck to Wales for the rest of the RWC; do an England and meet us in the finals. Group D FTW!

Thanks; don't know if anyone else has said it but well done for winning that game,it will be great when we can win games like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Fantastic kick from Priestland, feeling a bit for him as he had a good game but everyone is still screaming for Hook to play at 10, 13 was so close to nabbing that second pass I thought he had it.

I think Priestland should stay at 10 - it's a shame that Philips was at 9 in this match, a few times Priestland made little half breaks but Philips distribution was so slow that Wales couldn't capitalise on the defence - should have brought Knoyle on

Just found this on Sport24.co.za website

Nah, that pass was flat. Faletau had overrun the ball slightly, but Priestland did very well to realise that and not throw a forward pass, instead putting the ball a little behind Faletau.

So then, I waonder what Gatland will do against Samoa now that Gethin Jenkins and Stephen Jones are fit. Paul James has done a fine job in Gethin's absense, but Gethin offers so much more in the loose. I think we'll see Gethin on the bench, ready to come on in the second half when the Samoans have tired somewhat. As for Steve, maybe this game is just right for him. We need to be structured and solid in this game, and Jones suits that kinda game style.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if Priestland plays against Samoa they will hit him as much as possible, Steve's tough enough to take a beating all game so he may be better. Shame though cos after sunday Priestland should be nailed on at 10. Maybe Jones at 10, Hook at 12, Priestland at 15?

Also i think we can count ourselves lucky that we've got three very good, but different options at 10.

I imagine Byrne will start at 15, with Priestland at either 21 or 22, with Hook taking the 21 shirt if he isn't in the centres
Not sure whether Hook should be in the centre for the Samoa game, because while he isn't a poor defender both Davies and Roberts are much more physical which could be needed going up against Mapusua et al.

Gethin will likely come on at half time tbh. With #15 I would want to see Priestland there.. but can still see Byrne or Halfpenny going there. :/ As for Hook I dont know, we could do with his creativity at 12 to release Roberts or Davies (imo Roberts should start 13 with Davies on the bench to come on last 20 or w/e)

I imagine Byrne will start at 15, with Priestland at either 21 or 22, with Hook taking the 21 shirt if he isn't in the centres
Not sure whether Hook should be in the centre for the Samoa game, because while he isn't a poor defender both Davies and Roberts are much more physical which could be needed going up against Mapusua et al.

I'm more concerned about Shane v Tuilagi & Tagicakibau on the wings than Hook v Mapusua & Pisi at centre

Good point
Alesana Tuilagi has half a foot and SIX STONE on Shane Williams - and unlike Matt Banahan knows how to use his size

I don't know about this horses-for-courses business (changing the line-up to deal with different aspects of the different opponents). Wales are a good team and should focus on their own strngths and back themselves IMO.

I'm still angry about the kick that should have been awarded to Hook, so clearly over. Why they didn't go to the TMO I don't know!?

Latest posts