• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
RWC%202011.png

North Harbour Stadium, Auckland (30-09-2011, 20:30)

South Africa.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Samoa.png

Referee: Nigel Owens (WAL)
Touch Judge: Wayne Barnes (ENG)
Touch Judge: Stuart Terheege (ENG)
TV match official: Graham Hughes (ENG)

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Springboks [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Samoa [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patrick Lambie [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Paul Williams [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] JP Pietersen [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] David Lemi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jaque Fourie [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Seilala Mapusua [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Francois Steyn [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Bryan Habana [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Alesana Tuilagi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Morné Steyn [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Tusi Pisi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Fourie du Preez [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Kahn Fotuali'i [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Pierre Spies [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] George Stowers [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Schalk Burger [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] Maurie Faasavalu [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Heinrich Brüssow [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Taisina Tuifua [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Victor Matfield (c) [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] Kane Thompson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Danie Rossouw [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Daniel Leo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jannie du Plessis [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Census Johnson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Bismarck du Plessis [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Mahonri Schwalger [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Tendai 'The Beast' Mtawarira [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] Sakaria Taulafo [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] John Smit [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Ole Avei [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Gurthrö Steenkamp [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Anthony Perenise [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] CJ van der Linde [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Logovi'i Mulipola [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Willem Alberts [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Ofisa Treviranus [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Francois Louw [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Filipo Lavea Levi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Francois Hougaard [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Junior Poluleuligaga [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jean de Villiers [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] George Pisi [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Any news on JdV?
Steyn has done a good job at 12, it would be tough to drop him.

Jake White has said that he would pick Pietersen and de Villiers on the wings!
I'd go with Pietersen and perhaps Hougaard, with Aplon on the bench.

And this is the very same Jake White that very bitterly said PdV was 'amateurish' for putting Jean at wing last year?

Will be interesting to see if Lambie is selected again, didn't exactly set the world on fire against Namibia...

And this is the very same Jake White that very bitterly said PdV was 'amateurish' for putting Jean at wing last year?

Will be interesting to see if Lambie is selected again, didn't exactly set the world on fire against Namibia...
Yep, I guess when you aren't in any real position you can say what you want.
I was expecting a bit more from Lambie, but I think he is still the best option for fullback.

Francois Steyn is much better at 12 than JdV and I hope things don't change. I am a fan of Jean de Villiers but the way Francois Steyn plays at inside-center, he has been a true revelation. He really bulked up in France and things look good with him next to Fourie.

I hope we get to see this line-up:

1. Steenkamp
2. B. du Plessis
3. J. du Plessis
4. Rossouw
5. Matfield
6. Brüssow
7. Louw
8. Alberts
9. Pienaar
10.M. Steyn
11.Hougaard
12.F. Steyn
13.Fourie
14.Aplon
15.Lambie

Lets give Alberts a chance at 8, give Spies some rest and lets see what Louw can do the full 80.

Yep, I guess when you aren't in any real position you can say what you want.
I was expecting a bit more from Lambie, but I think he is still the best option for fullback.

I think he deserves a chance at fly-half but we will probably have to wait until the RWC is over for that to happen.

I think he deserves a chance at fly-half but we will probably have to wait until the RWC is over for that to happen.
He should have been given a shot at 10 v Namibia but lack of another fullback was a problem.
I agree with your XV, and would probably select this for the bench:

16 Ralepelle
17 Mtawarira
18 Muller
19 Burger
20 James (is he fit yet)
21 de Jongh
22 Pietersen

If Samoa get 5pts and Wales get 5pts tomorrow and vs Fiji that'll see Samoa and Wales through

Go on Samoa!

I am really curious to see if we can get through this without conceding a try as well. How cool would it be to advance with only 1 try conceded?

If Samoa get 5pts and Wales get 5pts tomorrow and vs Fiji that'll see Samoa and Wales through

Go on Samoa!

Not a chance!

What South Africa should do is send out a B team against Samoa, ensure the bonus point either by scoring 4 tries or lose within 7 points. Samoa (points difference) and the Springboks go through and Wales are left packing their bags!

Not a chance!

What South Africa should do is send out a B team against Samoa, ensure the bonus point either by scoring 4 tries or lose within 7 points. Samoa (points difference) and the Springboks go through and Wales are left packing their bags!
49.jpg

Can anybody explain why NIGEL OWENS (WALES) is refereeing this game. I can't understand why they don't use a totally neutral ref for a game like this. This match could ultimately mean the end of the road for Wales and here they appoint a Welsh ref who could have an interest and/or influence on how the game pans out!

Are you honestly suggesting he might risk his reputation, career and livelihood by throwing a match?

Are you honestly suggesting he might risk his reputation, career and livelihood by throwing a match?

Olyy, let's be honest here. No referee is going to blatantly throw a game but you and I both know that a ref can make 50/50 and marginal calls which can and will influence a game. Example: Conveniently missing forward passes, allowing opposition to slow down the ball and entering rucks from the side, interpretations of ref @ scrum, rucks and mauls. Many of these calls can change the momentum and possibly the result of a match.

Many of these calls are not blatant and will not result in the ref losing his job. At worst he will get a slap on the wrist maybe a warning and on he go's to the next match!

Ehm... We've had South African referees in Super Rugby matches between an SA team and a NZ/AU team... No need to worry.

I think that referees like Rolland, Joubert, Kaplan, Poite, Owens,Lawrence (Mark, not Bryce), Pollock and a bunch of others are more than reliable when it comes to being honest in refereeing. They will never deliberately make a wrong decision. I am not worried about that.

Ezequiel - I hope so, would just hate it if the ref did give 50/50 calls the wrong way just coz of peronal loyalty.