Club or Nation
South Africa
dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
O6TU1GS.png

Venue: St James' Park
Time: 20:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Date: 06 September 2019

Well its nice for Italy to get a run out....I have zero idea what EJ will do. I'd be tempted to play a 'not on the plane' team absolutely nothing to be gained other than injuries for those who are.

Full second choice side/get game time for as many of the guys who haven't played in a while (Launchbury, for example - Singleton could do with a start as well).

Bit of an awkward position though because many of our 2nd choice players are either injured or just returning - do you risk throwing Slade in, possibly a bit early, and then have him get proper injured?

Something like (presuming Nowell and Mako are out, no one else is):

Genge, Singleton, Cole
Launch Lawes
Ludlam Underhill
Wilson

Heinz, Farrell
Joe C, Francis, Slade, McConnochie
Watson

LCD, Marler, Sinckler, Kruis, Curry, Youngs, Ford, May/JJ

This is a really difficult one.

It's so close to the tournament that the only objective is to come through unscathed. The sh*t will really fly if someone like Underhill or Faz gets hurt in this. You just don't want to risk any first choices (although Eddie, allegedly, doesn't do those any more....) or anyone who's already got an injury issue hanging over them.

Maybe it's worth bringing in a couple of the standby players, whoever they are, in positions where we're thin in the squad. Williams at TH and Spencer at SH perhaps, even Hughes at 8.

While it almost certainly won't happen, and probably for good reason, part of me hopes to see Marler in the 18 shirt. If he really is going to be our tighthead cover then he needs to show that he can at least hold his own there.

While it almost certainly won't happen, and probably for good reason, part of me hopes to see Marler in the 18 shirt. If he really is going to be our tighthead cover then he needs to show that he can at least hold his own there.

This. We need to target this game as the sort of team we'd put out against the lower ranked opposition and/or what we would do in the case of injuries. I'd be tempted to ensure that starters are our 2nd team and to switch things around a lot with subs (ie simulate the injury covers). Whilst this obviously has the chance of causing a messy game and even a potential upset, I'd rather the team at least has experience of some of the worse situations now rather than potentially experiencing it in the world cup.

You know what id be starting marler and having williams on the bench, marler to see how he goes at TH and williams to see how he does just slotting into the team.

Must is slade,mcc,ludlam,francais,singleton and marler(th), also watson but only at FB if not then no.

Must not is george,sinks,itoje,curry,daly and manu.

Hell start francais at 10 to see how he does has a last minute emergancy back up i mean im sure he has played there few times(no im not saying he should be a choice back cup im saying no need to have both ford and faz vs italy.)

Can't Slade play 10 too if needed? He's certainly got a good boot for touch. Honestly this fixture should be all about giving game time to those who either haven't played much or are further down the pecking order.

Genge, Singleton, Cole
Launch Lawes
Ludlam Underhill
Wilson

Heinz, Farrell
Joe C, Francis, Slade, McConnochie
Watson

LCD, Marler, Sinckler, Kruis, Curry, Youngs, Ford, May/JJ

I think I'd swap Farrell with JJ and have either Francis or Slade at 10 and then May on the bench.

Can't Slade play 10 too if needed? He's certainly got a good boot for touch. Honestly this fixture should be all about giving game time to those who either haven't played much or are further down the pecking order.

I think I'd swap Farrell with JJ and have either Francis or Slade at 10 and then May on the bench.
Slade wants to be a 10, hates 12 and is best at 13. Slade was tried at chiefs for a season as back up 10, he did well but was never a convincing 10 at prem level.

Slade wants to be a 10, hates 12 and is best at 13. Slade was tried at chiefs for a season as back up 10, he did well but was never a convincing 10 at prem level.
What happened to Joe Simmonds? Or is Steenson being moved on?

What happened to Joe Simmonds? Or is Steenson being moved on?
It was the season before Simmonds came on the scene my bad. I meant season before last or maybe it was even the one before i dont know im tired and have to be up at 0530 but point is he was tried and while he didnt fail and id trust him at 10 in an emergancy off the bench for 20 min i wouldnt want him their out of choice.

Slade really isn't a viable option at 10 any more IMO. At international level I think he'd struggle at 12.

Slade really isn't a viable option at 10 any more IMO. At international level I think he'd struggle at 12.
He'd struggled at international level for a while, he's after finding his feet as a 13, I'd leave him there instead of messing around with him (which tbf seems to be what everyone wants and what Eddie doing).

Well the main discussion was about who might play 10 if Ford or Faz get injured. Not sure if Francis has played there for Saints, but he definitely did before hand so I guess it's him in an emergency. I'd be tempted to play ford and then move Francis to 10 late on in that case and maybe replicate one of the easier pool games.

I'd be very surprised if Francis isn't the 10 cover. He's played there a few times for Saints, much more recently than Slade has at any level.

He'd struggled at international level for a while, he's after finding his feet as a 13, I'd leave him there instead of messing around with him (which tbf seems to be what everyone wants and what Eddie doing).
Hes a good case for someone not playing well initially doesnt mesn they havnt got what it takes. We are so quick to turn on players on this forum(as is our right as the knowledge base of all rugby:D:cool:) but still its one issue with having depth, if someone fails then no time is invested and we try someone else.

And i agree hes leave him where he is. I read an article about Slade that he has severe OCD as in he would tie his laces about 5 times before games anf if they were wrong he was worried all gamr and it would show, had to learn techniques to deal with it.

Slade's found his niche at 13. Whether he's our first choice or not is another matter and he'll just have to fight for the shirt with JJ and Manu. If the modern boshfest allows any players to be called elegant, it's him, on a good day he just seems to have more time than others and is very very good to watch.

That he's not turned out to be the 10 or 12 everyone assumed is a big lesson for coaches and players alike about developing all round skill sets and not pigeon holing too soon.

After Youngs's performance vs Ireland we need to give Spencer a look-in. Given Nowell, Slade and McConnochie have all been nursing injuries, it's quite likely that an injury replacement will be available if one of them doesn't make it - I for one hope it is used on Spencer.

Latest posts