Club or Nation
South Africa
4bsksL7.png
j7lEIMe.png
I2IwG7n.png

Venue: Boris Paichadze Stadium
Time: 06:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Date: 31/08/2019

I hope Georgia do, would strengthen the argument to include them in T1 rugby competitions.

Here's the team. Bit of a mixed team with some first team players who need to show some form and some fringe players with an opportunity to push for a place. Be interesting to see how the forwards get on, because for me that's their weakest area. It's far too inconsistent and usually the forwards end up undoing a lot of good work elsewhere.

Scotland team to face Georgia: Blair Kinghorn; Darcy Graham, Rory Hutchinson, Sam Johnson, Sean Maitland; Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw; Allan Dell, Stuart McInally (capt), Willem Nel, Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist, John Barclay, Hamish Watson, Matt Fagerson.

Replacements: Grant Stewart, Jamie Bhatti, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings, Josh Strauss, Ali Price, Adam Hastings, Huw Jones.

Really looking forward to this, will hopefully gain a good measure of what to expect against Georgia in Pool D.

This wil be the first ever home test against a T1 nation

Georgia line up

captain Merab Sharikadze (centre) and flanker Giorgi Tsutskiridze are both injured from their last game against Southern Kings. 2 big blows !

The entire backrow , and both halves are all born from 1996 to 1999 with #10 Abzhandadze the younger player on the field. Lobzhanidze is only 22 and on the way to play his second RWC, already 43 caps

1.Mikheil Nariashvili (captain)
2.Shalva Mamukashvili
3.Beka Gigashvili
4.Shalva Sutiashvili
5.Kote Mikautadze
6.Otar Giorgadze
7.Beka Saginadze
8.Beka Gorgadze
9.Vasil Lobzhanidze
10.Tedo Abzhandadze
11.Sandro Todua
12.Davit Kacharava
13.Zurab Dzneladze
14.Mirian Modebadze
15.Soso Matiashvili

16.Giorgi Chkoidze
17.Karlen Asieshvili
18.Levan Chilachava
19.Giorgi Nemsadze
20.Lasha Lomidze
21.Gela Aprasidze
22.Lasha Khmaladze
23.Tamaz Mchedlidze

9 guys from this 23 played the game in 2016 against Scotland :
Mchedlidze, Todua, Lobzhanidze, Nariashvili, Chilachava, Mikautadze were on the starting XV
Asieshvili, Lomidze, Sutiashvili were on the bench

Really looking forward to this, will hopefully gain a good measure of what to expect against Georgia in Pool D.

Haven't seen Georgia play since they took on Wales a couple of years back, when they looked to be strong in the forwards and weak in the backs, which feels like the opposite of Scotland, so should be a good game, but as Georgia hardly ever play Tier 1 competition (just 7 times ever according to an article on the BBC website), it's really hard to gauge how good they really are.

Haven't seen Georgia play since they took on Wales a couple of years back, when they looked to be strong in the forwards and weak in the backs, which feels like the opposite of Scotland, so should be a good game, but as Georgia hardly ever play Tier 1 competition (just 7 times ever according to an article on the BBC website), it's really hard to gauge how good they really are.

I just have a real soft spot for Georgia, so I'm always pretty psyched when I get a chance to watch them play.

It was a 4 day turnaround for Georgia since the Kings game. How much did they rotate? Other than the 2 injuries?

Rumours of Mamuka Gorgodze coming out of retirement. Please happen, what a huge player he is!

Rumours of Mamuka Gorgodze coming out of retirement. Please happen, what a huge player he is!

How old is he now?

Edit I just looked it up and he's 'only' 35 which I was quite surprised by.

Last edited:

Latest posts