8YoqsOc.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: Kumagaya Athletic Stadium
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Date: 06 September 2019
Teams

Japan:
15 William Tupou, 14 Kotaro Matsushima, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Ryoto Nakamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Yu Tamura, 9 Kaito Shigeno, 8 Amanaki Mafi, 7 Pieter Labuschagne, 6 Michael Leitch (captain), 5 Uwe Helu, 4 Luke Thompson, 3 Koo Ji-won, 2 Atsushi Sakate, 1 Keita Inagaki

Substitutes: 16 Takuya Kitade, 17 Isileli Nakajima, 18 Asaeli Ai Valu, 19 James Moore, 20 Yoshitaka Tokunaga, 21 Yutaka Nagare, 22 Rikiya Matsuda, 23 Ataata Moeakiola

South Africa:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Jesse Kriel

Last edited by a moderator:
The bok team has been announced and added to the OP.

I have a suspicion that it will be the same side that will play against the AB's, should there be no injuries.

That is pretty much the first choice 23 for the Boks right? And likely to face the ABs in that first pool match?

edit: just read your post Heineken.

That is pretty much the first choice 23 for the Boks right? And likely to face the ABs in that first pool match?

I think it is. Maybe a few tweaks at prop with Beast and Nyakane starting possibly. But yeah, this is the same starting line-up that played against the AB's in Wellington apart from 1 player. So I think this is the same side that will face the AB's in the opening round.

I think Nkosi is first choice but he's literally the only change I think we will see against the ABs, Frans Steyn should have been thrown in for 80 minutes to see if he's up for it, but I understand wanting continuity.

For comparison, what was the Boks squad in the 2015 game compared to the 1st choice at that time? Total 2nd string?

For comparison, what was the Boks squad in the 2015 game compared to the 1st choice at that time? Total 2nd string?

The 2015 team was:

South Africa: Kirchner; Habana, Kriel, de Villiers, Mvovo; Lambie, Pienaar; Mtawarira, B du Plessis, J du Plessis, De Jager, Matfield, Louw, du Toit, Burger.

Replacements: Pietersen for Mvovo (71), Pollard for Lambie (58), du Preez for Pienaar (58), Nyakane for Mtawarira (55), Strauss for B du Plessis (54), Etzebeth for De Jager (69), Kolisi for du Toit (58) Oosthuizen for J du Plessis (58).

Matfield was past his prime, PSDT was playing at flanker for the first time, Kirchner wasn't supposed to be there. Oh and Jean De Villiers was there too...

It wasn't per se our best team, but there was a lot of other issues at that time that we don't have this time. We were severely undercooked prior to that WC, and didn't have a lot of warm-ups before it started. There was a lot of political pressure on Heyneke Meyer and his squad selections, plus the old favouritism tag he had for a few players who might not have been in the best form or shape.

Plus our game plan was also something to not talk about...

Overall the team was pretty good, but I think our current team is a lot better, in every position

The issue was that we pitched up thinking we've already won. Those one off runners didn't help. Factor in the lack of continuity ITO players, the Eddie Jones and Romain Poite factors, Japan was undefeated heading into that match as well..

We were murdered at the breakdown, outenthused, our one off runners thought they'd bulldoze Japan but we were taken low and swamped at the breakdown. Mostly I didn't agree with Poite's interpretation of how the breakdowns went but we should've been able to adapt. I mean heading into the fixture Poite was a known factor..

Just a very poor game from us overall even if it was a good result for rugby as a sport on the whole- why did it have to be us!?

The issue was that we pitched up thinking we've already won. Those one off runners didn't help. Factor in the lack of continuity ITO players, the Eddie Jones and Romain Poite factors, Japan was undefeated heading into that match as well..

We were murdered at the breakdown, outenthused, our one off runners thought they'd bulldoze Japan but we were taken low and swamped at the breakdown. Mostly I didn't agree with Poite's interpretation of how the breakdowns went but we should've been able to adapt. I mean heading into the fixture Poite was a known factor..

Just a very poor game from us overall even if it was a good result for rugby as a sport on the whole- why did it have to be us!?

It's okay, Japan beat NZ in Sevens at the Olympics the following year... the most watched sporting event in the world :D

Strong Bok team, but I certainly wouldn't put off Japan winning this game by 5 points - Tails up, unbeaten record, home crowd etc.

Incidentally are SA still the only foreign RWC team in Japan, or has anybody else now joined them?

Strong Bok team, but I certainly wouldn't put off Japan winning this game by 5 points - Tails up, unbeaten record, home crowd etc.

Incidentally are SA still the only foreign RWC team in Japan, or has anybody else now joined them?

Just SA atm.

the Other teams start arriving this coming weekend after their last warm-up game.

Japan is a known element this time around - it's basically the Sunwolves (minus some mercenaries). I presume nearly all the Boks play SR right? (17/23 do, plus 4 in Eng, 2 in Fra)

The Sunwolves never did great, and I think the only trick they have up their sleeve is actually fielding the same team 2 weeks in a row.

The few games they have won:
2019: Chiefs, Waratahs
2018: Reds, Stormers, Bulls
2017: Bulls, Blues
2016: Jaguares. (and a draw with Stormers)

Other than South Africa in 2015, the only T1 scalp since then has been Italy in June 2018, and a draw with France in Nov 2017.
In Nov 2018 they were leading England at half time, but lost by 20. That wouldn't have been against a 1st choice selection though.

The WR Rankings give Japan a 17% chance here, but no one actually expects Japan to win this. The best case is to score some tries and prepare for the all important pool game vs Scotland.

I'm hoping for a Japan vs South Africa QF though.

Last edited:
Sorry for side tracking the thread but how on earth did Zane Kirchner make it into that squad? As a Leinster fan I'm genuinely curious.

He was one of the most critisized players to be included in the squad as everyone felt that Willie Le Roux and Pat Lambie would be our first choices at fullback. But HM decided that Lambie would only play fly half in the tournament even though he had Morne Steyn and Handre Pollard also there.

Then Kirchner got a start against Japan. But bear in mind he was one of the better players on the field that day. But yeah, HM had a tendency to pick his Bulls players over others, even if it hurts me to admit that.

The more I think about it the more I like this fixture.

The SA public through the Sunwolves' inclusion are now much moer familiar with the Japanese test team. There are also a number of South Africans in the Japanese squad whcih always adds some spice if any additional spice was necessary seeing as this is the 'grudge' match. Also a possible QF so good to get more aquainted with the host nation.

Aghh, these warm up matches make me nervous. They feel risky.

Strong team, not sure this is the strongest team though? Nkosi in for Mapimpi, Kriel in for Am and Nyakane in for Malherbe would closer to full strength in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what they try out in the match.

Aghh, these warm up matches make me nervous. They feel risky.

Strong team, not sure this is the strongest team though? Nkosi in for Mapimpi, Kriel in for Am and Nyakane in for Malherbe would closer to full strength in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what they try out in the match.

Horses for courses I guess.

But I agree on Malherbe, and like the journo's are writing, I tend to agree that Frans needs to have a good showing to prove he's not worse than Nyakane.

But yeah, I dread these warm-up games, like the Argentina game, one wrong move, and a guy's world cup dream might be over like in Marcell Coetzee's case.

Latest posts