Club or Nation
South Africa
UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
DBiYQQC.png

Venue: FMG Stadium Waikato
Time: 04:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Date: 07 September 2019

ESPN+ is actually carrying this one, go figure. I expect I'll actually be able to watch it in real time, which will be a nice change!

Josh Ioane called in as injury cover...surely this would have been the perfect time to try one of these back up options from the RWC squad?

Josh Ioane called in as injury cover...surely this would have been the perfect time to try one of these back up options from the RWC squad?
Nah, Patrick tuipolotu has secretly been practising at first five his whole life just so he can bring it out as a surprise in the World Cup. He's our secret weapon. Wayne smith adopted him as a child. Rumour is he can kick goals from his own try line too. Watch this space.

Iaone was never making the RWC Squad once he stayed off the bench

in Buenos Aires vs the Pumas in 2019 TRC

Guy needs another season of Super Rugby & establish himself as 3rd choice #10 for 2020 season

Jordie Barrett can play #10 when ABs play Namibia & Canada

...and yet he has been called up and more than one report saying he might actually start....

All Blacks:

1. Joe Moody (40)
2. Codie Taylor (44)
3. Nepo Laulala (19)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (24)
5. Samuel Whitelock (111)
6. Ardie Savea (38)
7. Matt Todd (20)
8. Kieran Read - captain (121)
9. TJ Perenara (58)
10. Beauden Barrett (77)
11. George Bridge (4)
12. Ryan Crotty (44)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (37)
14. Sevu Reece (2)
15. Ben Smith (79)

Reserves
16. Liam Coltman (5)
17. Ofa Tuungafasi (29)
18. Angus Ta'avao (7)
19. Scott Barrett (30)
20. Luke Jacobson (1)
21. Aaron Smith (86)
22. Josh Ioane *
23. Jordie Barrett (11)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12265037

JOSH IOANEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:
Tonga:

David Halaifonua, Cooper Vuna, Malietoa Hingano, Siale Piutau (capt), Viliame Lolohea, Kurt Morath, Sonatane Takalua, Maama Vaipulu, Fotu Lokotui, Sione Kalamafoni, Leva Fifita, Sam Lousi, Siua Halanukonuka, Siua Maile, Siegfried Fisi'ihoi.

Res: Sione Anga'aelangi, Vunipola Fifita, Ma'afu Fia, Dan Faleafa, Zane Kapeli, Leon Fukofuka, James Faiva, Atieli Pakalani.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...-shifts-wing-tonga-name-squad-face-all-blacks

ABs backline is awesome. thats what i would go with vs the boks

Not sure what to make of it.
I guess they want to bring on Jordie in the midfield, they want josh Ione to get some time in case Barrett or mounga get seriously injured, they would rather ofa plays more at loosehead before the springboks game than give Moli game time, ...

... Rieko not being in the team I would have to think means he won't play against the Boks, unless two of the back three in this game don't play well or get injured.

I'm not exactly sure why cane is out; just to give Todd more time perhaps. Jacobson certainly needs some.

Same with Coles? Or is Codie a genuine option to start against the Boks? I think he has potentially been better than coles. Coltman probably needs some more time.

Patrick starting over Scott, Probably because he is on form, so keep him going before he loses it. If he doesn't play well we might see Scott back for the Boks.

The midfield. Obviously Crotty needs time, and is the incumbent. Does alb starting mean he's the preferred person? I hope so, but a little surprised they didn't pick sbw with Crotty at centre. Actually I potentially prefer alb at 12, Crotty 13, but maybe they see alb as primarily a 13.

I wish I had the patience to wait and see, rather than speculate. More importantly we are playing this weekend, and I hope that goes well.

I'm particularly intrigued to see the role Ben smith plays, whether he gets involved as a playmaker so they don't have to change the game plan. And I hope Crotty and alb succeed, as I think this is our best combo. George bridge is a first choice for me too, so hope he does well. And will be watching the loosies closely too.

...and yet he has been called up and more than one report saying he might actually start....

Mo'unga is injured so Josh Iaone is in by default

TBH All Blacks are playing Tonga - it'll be a 50 point win easily and that's being
generous to the Tongans

Tasman Makos Mitre 10 team could beat Toga let alone All Blacks

Tonga itself is a defacto All Blacks B Team with 9 Baby Blacks (U20) members +
2 U20 Aussies in their RWC Squad

https://twitter.com/T2Rugby/status/1169378312050892801

All Blacks:

1. Joe Moody (40)
2. Codie Taylor (44)
3. Nepo Laulala (19)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (24)
5. Samuel Whitelock (111)
6. Ardie Savea (38)
7. Matt Todd (20)
8. Kieran Read - captain (121)
9. TJ Perenara (58)
10. Beauden Barrett (77)
11. George Bridge (4)
12. Ryan Crotty (44)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (37)
14. Sevu Reece (2)
15. Ben Smith (79)

Reserves
16. Liam Coltman (5)
17. Ofa Tuungafasi (29)
18. Angus Ta'avao (7)
19. Scott Barrett (30)
20. Luke Jacobson (1)
21. Aaron Smith (86)
22. Josh Ioane *
23. Jordie Barrett (11)
Are they all in the RWC 31? Who in the 31 is missing?

Answering my own question: They all are except Josh Ioane

The 9 not in the 23 are:

Dane Coles (64)
Atu Moli (2)
Brodie Retallick (77)
Sam Cane (63)
Brad Weber (2)
Ritchie Mo'unga (12)
Jack Goodhue (9)
Sonny Bill Williams (53)
Rieko Ioane (26)

Is there a particular thread somewhere talking about the RWC selections?

Last edited:
85-0 after 68 minutes

Honestly, this match has less value than a training run.

Pretty useless game for the All Blacks, imo

Did Tonga just field a 2nd rate team for this match, saving their best for the RWC?

I was hoping NZ would break their record of 102-0 against Tonga. Not to rub it in, but how often do you get to see a score like that. Still, 92-7 was complete domination.

Farcical.
Big fish devours minnows.
How can the Pacific Islanders hope to compete when Australia and New Zealand poach their talent?

Latest posts