• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][3rd & 4th Place Playoff] New Zealand vs. Wales (01/11/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
GP48PUg.png

Venue: Tokyo Stadium
Time: 11:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I'm actually looking forward to this game, but the Blacks might play Wales off the park.

Wales fans, we can come together and bond over mutual disappointment.

Nobody wants to play this game, but I expect it will probably turn into a bit of a throwaround as I can't imagine either team will be all that intense (compared to last week).

Whoever actually turns up with the right attitude will probably win this, not that confident in the ABs fronting properly with how shattered they all would be. No offense to Wales but our guys no doubt had more expectations on them and will be a bit flatter after that semi result.

If Wales have any chance to beat thier 65 year hoo doo this is it. There is a small chance the ABs have essentially checked out already and Wales could steal a win. Of course the opposite could happen and you'll come across an angry ABs side who'll put Wales to the sword.

If Wales win it'll be a great way for Gatland to bow out, take the reigns in NZ in a few year time and scupper their chances for years to come ;)

Third place is NBD to me, in general I shrug this game off, don't think I've ever watched one.

What would be a big deal though is Wales beating the ABs for the first time since 1953! Not likely on paper, but giving the game a bit of spice for me! I'll be rooting hard for Wales.

I'll be surprised is Wales have a fully fit 23 for this game! I would like to see Patchell, Watkin and Lane start, throw in Carre as well why not. They may get a beating but it's top level experience which will only benefit Wales in the long run.

Surely Gatland is going to use this last hoorah to play how he really wants Wales to play. He has nothing to lose and should just give it a crack.
I'm not going to watch this one (the missus is fed up with rugby now) but I'll watch the replay if Wales win.

Surely Gatland is going to use this last hoorah to play how he really wants Wales to play. He has nothing to lose and should just give it a crack.
I'm not going to watch this one (the missus is fed up with rugby now) but I'll watch the replay if Wales win.

Every now and again Wales start to play really expansive, they did in the 2018 six nations, but often ends up going back to a tight kicking game. I suspect Gatland will pick as strong team as possible and play in a similar way to yesterday.

If Wales have any chance to beat thier 65 year hoo doo this is it. There is a small chance the ABs have essentially checked out already and Wales could steal a win. Of course the opposite could happen and you'll come across an angry ABs side who'll put Wales to the sword.

If Wales win it'll be a great way for Gatland to bow out, take the reigns in NZ in a few year time and scupper their chances for years to come ;)

doubt the ABs have checked out yet. Hansen, Read, SBW, Crotty and Ben Smith will also be bowing out, so expect all those players to play and not want to not finish on losing note.

doubt the ABs have checked out yet. Hansen, Read, SBW, Crotty and Ben Smith will also be bowing out, so expect them all to play and not want to not finish on losing note.
Which is why I said small chance, reality is Wales have far more riding on this game than the ABs. Its already a 'failure' regardless of the result as a campaign. Wales are rightly disappointed but 3rd place with a win over the ABs they'd have taken that pre-tournament (as most teams would).

I would normally say this is a total dead rubber fixture but Wales have probably got one of their better chances of beating the AB's so may be more up for it than they would normally be in such a fixture. having said that it is an awfully long time since the All Blacks lost two in a row so I guess they will want to keep that record going. I think the All Blacks will probably rotate their team and make a lot of changes. don't know what Wales will do but I imagine Gatland will pick a lot of his first teamers. I do think Wales could potentially sneak this one.

Hate how this is on a Friday, why not just do Saturday Sunday again?
I imagine it's a TV revenue thing? I assume it was calculated by people who calculate these things that you get more casual viewers for the big one if it's on a Saturday, and the viewing figures for the 3rd place game are minuscule either way

Edit: also, why are you concerning yourself with such trivialities anyway? Does the wolf worry about which day the sheep are to be fed?

Which is why I said small chance, reality is Wales have far more riding on this game than the ABs. Its already a 'failure' regardless of the result as a campaign. Wales are rightly disappointed but 3rd place with a win over the ABs they'd have taken that pre-tournament (as most teams would).

i don't think there is any chance, let alone small chance. Knowing the ABs mentality, they will be hurting like hell after not just losing their world crown, but to England of all teams, which they hate losing to most. But sounds like a lot of their fans respect England and have no complaints about losing the semi because it was so comprehensive a win. That is why I fear for Wales in a 3rd/4th place match. It's just not in their mentality to check out.

I'm looking forward to this one more than the final! I reckon I'll get to see some sexy rugby that I like which has been rare this tournament and it won't be my team conceding 40 points!

Yes yes, Ireland is playing very sexy rugby... They know how to get their fans OFF....

OFF the couch
****** OFF
Switching the tv OFF

Latest posts