• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 1 - Ireland vs. Scotland (22/09/2019)

i was not impressed with the ireland win. seemed like they got a lead and then just tried not to lose the game. it was painful to watch.
putting up a lead and shutting shop isnt how youre going to win this tournament

Last edited:
i was not impressed with the ireland win. seemed like they got a lead and then just tried not to lose the game. it was painful to watch.

Again BP and no significant injuries were the main aim. Long way to go in this tournament.

Or adapted to the changing conditions and didn't bother going full on when they had a comfortable lead and there was zero chance of losing? The result was never in doubt from an early stage.

Trolling or serious? Picture-perfect opening World Cup match versus Tier 1 oppo imho.

I thought Ireland looked good. I think the Boks are better but Ireland v South Africa should have been a semi final

Trolling or serious? Picture-perfect opening World Cup match versus Tier 1 oppo imho.
serious. i dont troll.
i was bored shtless. u gotta keep trying things at WCs and keep improving every game you play.
to me it just felt like the irish didnt want to lose so shut shop and protected their lead.

serious. i dont troll.
i was bored shtless. u gotta keep trying things at WCs and keep improving every game you play.
to me it just felt like the irish didnt want to lose so shut shop and protected their lead.

Personal expectations I guess, I'd imagine 99% of Irishmen would've snapped your arm of if you offered them this result before the game.

I think in the world cup coasting the early games is exactly what you want. Why would we try to be inventive in a group stage game that's won? The team have proven time and time again that their "powerplays" work best when they've never been seen before/haven't been used in years.

I think in the world cup coasting the early games is exactly what you want. Why would we try to be inventive in a group stage game that's won? The team have proven time and time again that their "powerplays" work best when they've never been seen before/haven't been used in years.

Preach...

You do realise it was torrential rain all through the 2nd half?
it was raining but i wouldn't have called it torrential.
it wasnt the conditions that bored me it was the attitude.
but sweet as. if youre happy with your team then theyre doing exactly what you need them to do. if your happy with their progress then they must be doing all right and im missing something.

Wooooaaaaahhh don't lump me in with the Irish!

I just don't see the need to be outraged over that performance - BP win in what will likely be their hardest game in the group (unless Japan buck up their ideas).

Get the result and then don't get anyone injured before the knockouts - that's the name of the game.

World Cup rugby is about managing schedule as much as running up scorelines.

Maybe true, but I'm not sure. A lot of World Cup playoff games are massively tense highly nervy affairs, so I wouldn't be surprised if shutting up shop is a valid tactic.

Our game is never going to be as expansive as the ABs, but I do worry about what will happen if our forwards can only get parity at best and we are left reliant on the creativity of our backs to generate metres and scores.

On the basis of the past... erm... 5 years (?), we'd be left in a difficult position.

Henshaw at 12 may help - but we're really needing a 2nd pivot somewhere. Barrett at 15 does that for the ABs. Le Roux to a degree does it for the boks from 15. Farrell at 12 does it for England, Giteau at 12 did it for the Wobblies.

We really don't have that at 12 or 15 and its why we won't win the Webb Ellis.

I reckon if we knew 3 years ago what we know now - the team would have been built toward; 10. Sexton, 15. Carbery, 22. Carty. But we are where we are and have to live with it.

IMO the Scots have really gone backwards since replacing Vern Cotter with Gregor Townsend, his selections also boggle the mind a bit.

Bit of everything from Ireland. Did not expect them to win by such a margin. That must be a good thing. I think the overall winners will be either Ireland or NZ.

This was a colossally disappointing game... For weeks, the "experts" were saying, "Ya never know, don't sleep on the Scots, this is a great matchup, this is good timing, this is a game they can steal," and on and on. I kept thinking, "Well, I know I'm a noob, but the Scotland I've seen recently don't look like a team that can hang with the big boys, but maybe..." Naturally, I let my expectations build up, then they took a huge dump on the field. Three points total? Oh my word, what a mess. :(

The Ireland style is pretty well suited for close games. And I think you will have a few nice set piece moves up the sleeve (have rattled off a few beauties against the ABs in recent years).

Seems to me the formula will be Murray and Sexton kicking extremely accurately close to the sidelines to allow the rush defence to strangle the other team and win breakdown penalties. Then ping it into the corner and rumble the forwards. If you can pull it off you really give teams nothing much to work with other than retrieving contested bombs.... a few months ago I'd say the boks would be favoured, but now I think you may be too accurate/discliplined for the boks.

Latest posts