• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 1 - Japan vs. Russia (20/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

8YoqsOc.png
j7lEIMe.png
C7IIkhg.jpg

Venue: Ajinomoto Stadium
Time: 12:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

This will be a great first game for japan to make statement. Could get a decent win here especially if scotlands first is a loss. Rest players vs ireland then full strength vs Samoa then to go to the final game to try for the upset vs Scotland.

I'd say we're looking at Japan putting up a big score here, some people will get carried away but it won't mean much, Russia are probably staring down the barrel of four heavy defeats.

I havnt been following Japan, who are their key players? And whTs their form like going into this tournament?

I get they should put russia asside with ease but are they fighting Samoa for 3rd in pool or with home advantage do they have the ability to push Scotland for second and get to the QF( even though obv ireland and scotland are favourites in pool).

I havnt been following Japan, who are their key players? And whTs their form like going into this tournament?

I get they should put russia asside with ease but are they fighting Samoa for 3rd in pool or with home advantage do they have the ability to push Scotland for second and get to the QF( even though obv ireland and scotland are favourites in pool).

They looked really good in the PNC in July and they have a lot of talent in their team. Fukuoka on the wing is simply brilliant but he's out for the first game or two I think with injury. Matsushima is a good player too on the other wing. Tamura at 10 is solid, the back row is very strong too. They'll beat Russia and Samoa you'd think with ease. They definitely will push Scotland, whether they'll beat them is another thing but they're a very good side who cannot be underestimated at all. My heart says Japan to qualify from the group, my head says Scotland. We'll see what happens but they're no pushover.

Japan have named their side to play Russia:

1. Inagaki
2. Horie
3. Valu
4. van der Walt
5. Moore
6. Leitch
7. Labushagne
8. Himeno
9. Nagare
10. Tamura
11. Lemeki
12. Nakamura
13. Lafaele
14. Matsushima
15. Tupou

16. Sakate 17. Nakajima 18. Koo 19. Thompson 20. Tui 21. Tanaka 22. Matsuda 23. Yamanaka

Is that first choice or have they mixed it up expecting a win v the team that fluked their way in?

pretty strong, but it's still 7 changes to the starting XV and 8 changes to the 23, from the South Africa game. Pretty maximal rotation within a 31 man RWC squad.

comfortably better than Tier 2, but as they showed in the South Africa game, they make too many mistakes to really compete vs Tier 1 teams. Scotland should win solidly as long as they bring a 1st choice selection and prepare properly.

They showed in Super Rugby they can occasionally cause a big upset, especially at home. and I'm hoping Japan find another level in between now and Scotland, but ATM that's how their form is.

Last edited:
My prediction here is 59 - 16.

I think Japan will keep the same tactics as the South Africa game, and just work on the skills and mistakes. They won't kick any penalties for the posts, they'd rather take the chance to practice attacking.
Russia will get probably one try from a Japanese mistake, and a few more near misses. And then probably a few penalties from dumb discipline issues.

What I'll be looking for is I'm hoping to see better awareness/co-ordination/zanshin than in the South Africa game.
You can run a nice line but if you fumble because you weren't *actually* expecting the pass to come, then it's pointless. Also noticing when a pass risks being intercepted or when you have an overlap.
They can beat Russia without it, but if they show improvement there, I can be confident for the Scotland game.

Buzzing for this,
Hoping for a big Japan win but for Ostrikov and Morozov to play well (can almost guarantee Ostrikov is getting carded though)

ITV thinking that Welsh people obviously have some associations with Japan and/or Russia... I can somewhat understand Shane commentating but Doc Roberts?

Latest posts