• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 1 - Japan vs. Russia (20/09/2019)

Was i the only one who say a potential red card on the Russian guy who went out of an HIA?
No army, shoulder to the head.
No, you haven't read the thread.

Russian 4 is slow getting in position and lacking intensity.

Japan not hugely impressive so far. As others have said, perhaps they're struggling with the weight of expectation?

I can see them scoring again to get the BP win, but unless they really rip it up in the last quarter or the game, it won't be the performance they were hoping for.

Fair play to Russia. They had a really good 10 minutes before. They haven't given up. Japan in danger of missing the BP which would be a poor start.

Decent contest, nice to see the hosts avoid the upset and happy that Russia didn't get the thumping we all thought that they would. Some of those Russian lads could be ballers, particularly the flankers.

Great effort by Russia; they remind me of Georgia of past world cup's, who have great defense and take their chances well, but can't put much in attack

I'm guessing some of those Russian players could have some new contract offers coming in the time after this world cup

5pts is 5pts but I doubt Japan are too happy - hopefully over the jitters now and can up their game.

Think theyre better than they showed today and play better without expectations

Pressure is the name of the game. All the pressure on Japan to win their first game and win well, on top of being hosts. No pressure whatsoever on Russia and they rose to the occasion. Credit to them.

Enjoyed that game, think contest was over when Russia took the 3 instead of going to the corner again. Shame and the wrong call IMO. Still, made a good account of themselves and if a card was given to Japan for that challenge on the 9 it might have been enough for the result to go the other way.

Hope it's a sign that all games in this WC will be entertaining. Congratulations to Japan.

Japan not hugely impressive so far. As others have said, perhaps they're struggling with the weight of expectation?

I can see them scoring again to get the BP win, but unless they really rip it up in the last quarter or the game, it won't be the performance they were hoping for.
This is basically the summary of the game for me too. They got the BP win, but didn't show anything for Ireland or Scotland to worry about.

They can't catch. That's a worry. The commentators were saying it's because of where the lights are placed in that stadium, but Russia didn't have any trouble.

Great try out of nowhere from Lappies

This is easily the most pressure any of the Japanese players have been under, when the spotlight is off it's easy to crush teams but when everyone is expecting you to do it and you're opening the world cup it's much, much harder. How they deal with it as the tournament goes on will be fascinating.

Did enough in the end but will need to up their game big time to offer any serious opposition to Scotland or Ireland.

Credit to Russia for keeping it pretty close as well.

Latest posts