• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

8YoqsOc.png
j7lEIMe.png
gI004IH.png

Venue: Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa
Time: 09:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

The key is rotation butbin a smart way. Sexton may be managed with Joey becoming more involved. Earls and Kearney will play and front row may see changes

No way our 37 year old hooker who played 80 minutes should start again 6 days later anyway. He was very good yesterday day but starting again wouldn't help that continue. Doubt there'll be huge rotation but I wouldn't play Aki or POM, even if they pass all the levels of HIA assessment they won't be able to train this week.

Ireland should be able to rotate well now and rest some players. Don't even need to BP, just win all their games. Only issue I can see is they won't have a real test before the QF's so could be a bit too relaxed potentially.

Ireland should be able to rotate well now and rest some players. Don't even need to BP, just win all their games. Only issue I can see is they won't have a real test before the QF's so could be a bit too relaxed potentially.
At least Samoa should provide a physical test, but I know what you mean. Similar situation for South Africa though.

You'd imagine we'll see a few changes for this one, but we'll probably save any wholesale changes for Russia.

If the selection against Scotland is anything to go by Joe is opting for caution with injured players, which probably means no Aki or POM.

Best is definitely getting this one off, Scannell starting with Cronin on the bench seems the likely outcome. Does raise the topic of captaincy though with POM and also potentially Sexton sitting this out, can see Ruddock being brought in to captain the team, although one of the locks could be another option. Farrell will start at 12 presumably with Aki and Henshaw unavailable. Kearney and Earls need this game really, it's harsh for Conway and Larmour but the way it goes.

Can see the team looking like

1. Healy (although he and Kilcoyne swapping is an option)
2. Scannell
3. Furlong
4. Henderson (although again Beirne could get a start)
5. Ryan (keep Kleyn for the Russians)
6. Ruddock (C)
7. Van Der Flier
8. Conan (CJ went the full 80 last week, Conan could use a start)
9. Murray
10. Who knows? Could be any of the three, depends on how Sexton and Carbery are dealing with injuries
11. Stockdale
12. Farrell
13. Ringrose
14. Earls
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Kilcyone
18. Porter
19. Beirne
20. Stander
21. McGrath
22. See above
23. Larmour probably

Yeah, surely no need for bonus point?

Japan were bloody ordinary against Russia and Joseph actually looked a bit stunned by it in the post match interview. I know there is talk of the lights making high balls difficult but i think Matsushima can be a good fullback option if Fukuoka is fit.

I'm not sure how Japan can even begin to get any change out of the Irish pack, even if it was second string.

Wouldn't write off Japan after game 1. Nerves etc olay a part. Think POM will play for captaincy reason alone.
I do agree we need to rotate but not take this game for granted. Still need to get the job done correctly.
I think guys like Ruddock who are pure squad players will not be involved as we will keep it very strong here and then come Russia and Samoa we rotate which gives the lads the bones of 2 weekends off

Japan were bloody ordinary against Russia and Joseph actually looked a bit stunned by it in the post match interview. I know there is talk of the lights making high balls difficult but i think Matsushima can be a good fullback option if Fukuoka is fit.

I'm not sure how Japan can even begin to get any change out of the Irish pack, even if it was second string.
I'd expect Japan to improve significantly from the Russia game, the pressure seemed to get to them but they're coming into this as heavy underdogs so they might be able to play with a bit more freedom. I hope for their sake that the lights were the reason for their difficulty under the high ball last time because if they aren't far far better there Conor Murray will destroy them. And as you say without wanting to be arrogant anything other than total dominance from our pack would be a surprise.

Thinking about it I don't think we'll see too many second string players, we're playing Russia five days after so anyone who doesn't start here will probably start there, and the majority of the best team will always be picked for the stronger opposition (in this case Japan).

Wouldn't write off Japan after game 1. Nerves etc olay a part. Think POM will play for captaincy reason alone.
I do agree we need to rotate but not take this game for granted. Still need to get the job done correctly.
I think guys like Ruddock who are pure squad players will not be involved as we will keep it very strong here and then come Russia and Samoa we rotate which gives the lads the bones of 2 weekends off
I was leaving off POM purely because unless he is indeed completely fine (which he could well be) there's no need to rush him back for this game. Ruddock is a good alternative for the captaincy.

Agree about team strength especially taking the turnover against Russia into account, the only non-binary related changes I'd expect would be Scannell and potentially Conan.

Last edited:
I think Japan will up the entertainment levels for this game. Get the crowd excited. But with that will come a lot of naive play. I expect them to score a few points, Even against our very tight D. We will score a pan-full too. So in other words i think it will be high-scoring.

I'd expect Japan to improve significantly from the Russia game, the pressure seemed to get to them but they're coming into this as heavy underdogs so they might be able to play with a bit more freedom. I hope for their sake that the lights were the reason for their difficulty under the high ball last time because if they aren't far far better there Conor Murray will destroy them. And as you say without wanting to be arrogant anything other than total dominance from our pack would be a surprise.

Thinking about it I don't think we'll see too many second string players, we're playing Russia five days after so anyone who doesn't start here will probably start there, and the majority of the best team will always be picked for the stronger opposition (in this case Japan).

I was leaving off POM purely because unless he is indeed completely fine (which he could well be) there's no need to rush him back for this game. Ruddock is a good alternative for the captaincy.

Agree about team strength especially taking the turnover against Russia into account, the only non-binary related changes I'd expect would be Scannell and potentially Conan.
Ruddock is a decent alternative as a captain but not for a game that means something. Like I think this game can't be treated too lightly. Best shouldn't play simply die to facy he played 80mins and the 6days is not enough.
Conan is in mix as he is competing for starter spot so again that's ok. Ruddock is nowhere near and is same as few others like Kleyn. We need a 90% strongest team here jist to lay a marker.

Sexton a massive doubt, Aki and POM never missed a session and are available, Henshaw still crocked and the rest are fit

Pool A is a bit of a cracker to be fair. Barring a catastrophe Ireland are in the driving seat, while Scotland, Samoa and Japan are going to have some very interesting battles for 2nd place. I always want 6N teams to do well but I would really love Japan to make the QF and give NZ a good game.

The difference in ability to play rugby between the two teams is obvious.
Part of me as a Japanase fan believe "The miracle of Brighton" again, however.

The absense of Sexton will be unfortunate for me because I'm looking forward to his performance.

If you want to know more about the Japanese TV programs explaining rugby positions using animals ,
see the below. The programs were made by NHK. NHK in Japan is like RTÉ in Ireland.

nhk.or.jp/sports-story/detail/20190724_3880.html
You can understand the "FW" position by using animals.

nhk.or.jp/sports-story/detail/20190725_3881.html
You can understand the "BK" position by using animals.

The difference in ability to play rugby between the two teams is obvious.
Part of me as a Japanase fan believe "The miracle of Brighton" again, however.

The absense of Sexton will be unfortunate for me because I'm looking forward to his performance.

If you want to know more about the Japanese TV programs explaining rugby positions using animals ,
see the below. The programs were made by NHK. NHK in Japan is like RTÉ in Ireland.

nhk.or.jp/sports-story/detail/20190724_3880.html
You can understand the "FW" position by using animals.

nhk.or.jp/sports-story/detail/20190725_3881.html
You can understand the "BK" position by using animals.

Sadly geolocked for me after adding www. I was curious why the fly half is a man and everyone else is an animal. Fly halves have big enough heads as it is!

Latest posts