• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

I don't like that from Schmidt. Apparently Ireland stopped playing after 20 minutes and there were some dubious offside decisions with token credit to Japan at the end. Yes they didn't play as well as they could, but they didn't play awful. Japan play fantastic and beat Ireland through their own play.

Image if Japan could deal with high balls that was the only times they really looked in trouble in that game...

I can remember watching Ireland defeat our B-team last month, and at times they were awful defending. Hell, they only won by 4 points.

Japan have really done us all a favour by discovering that problem here. Also worth noting that if Japan do finish top of this group, they will most likely face SOUTH AFRICA.

Well done Japan.

Not our worst performance ever but if we don't have Sexton there's no chance we win any possible quarter.

Agreed. Although, Carty was looking good in the first 30mins of the game and I don't think he was responsible for losing control of the game TBH.

I don't like that from Schmidt. Apparently Ireland stopped playing after 20 minutes and there were some dubious offside decisions with token credit to Japan at the end. Yes they didn't play as well as they could, but they didn't play awful. Japan play fantastic and beat Ireland through their own play.
Yeah fans are one thing, the coach/players after getting beaten by a 'lesser' side should just humble.

He doesn't care about Japan, he still has a job to do. His team and refereeing in the next three games are far more important for him to address.

It's OK, Schmidt is just keeping his cards close to his chest for the 2023 RWC

it's all part of his master plan for this World Cup, just wait until knock out stages you'll see some moves he's been holding back for quite some time.

Of course Scotland won't be resting anyone for that one

They definitely can't afford to. With injuries stretching Scotland's depth and Russia looking a bit more competitive than expected, Townsend will be sweating.

So....

Credit to Japan. Amazing performance. Gardner gave us nothing but that's both expected and wasn't the difference between the teams. They deserve all the plaudits that will come their way.

We weren't terrible, outplayed yes but there have plenty of worse games over the last few years. This was honestly infinitely better than the game against Wales in the Six Nations.

Still don't see what Best and POM are doing for this pack, when we're on top like we were against Scotland they look great but when they're actually needed nowhere to be found. Ruddock and Cronin were massive upgrades when they came on. The whole pack just looked spent for whatever reason though.

In the backs Ringrose and Kearney were good, everyone else a bit so-so. Earls needs to find some form, did well to chase down the intercept but not much else went for him. Farrell showed his limitations as a player. We won't get near a final without Sexton, Cartyy started well but lost his way and Joey was straight up poor.

He doesn't care about Japan, he still has a job to do. His team and refereeing in the next three games are far more important for him to address.

While I understand that if it was EJ instead there would be plenty of people calling him out. Doesn't change the fact that Japan deserve far more credit than that and Schmidt came off as a bit of a sore loser there.

Latest posts