• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

Why did he kick that out?

Wonder who NZ would rather face, Ireland, Japan or Scotland?

Totally deserved win for japan. My biggest observation for Ireland was their defence was awful, in comparison to how they've won their big games over the past two years. The gains Japan were making, even off a tight forward phase was crazy. I would accept that there was some fatigue there, but not taking credit from Japan who kept their intensity and played some nice stuff at times.

Better to keep the bonus point than throw it away chasing a try we wouldn't get.
Wouldn't it be more sensible to turn around and blast it into the stands instead of standard exit which almost didn't make touch and Japan could (should?) have gone for drop to deny the LBP?

Generous of Japan to let Ireland have that mercy.

Well done Japan, carry it into the quarters this time. Not letting us score for over an hour is all you need to know.

This for me is the big difference. In 2015 Japan outscored South Africa. Uruguay beating Fiji was out scoring them. However this felt more like a T1 match with strong defence and a low scoring game.

The Japan vs Scotland game could be real fun... play in a 'similar'(ish) manner, quick tempo, heads up and bags of pressure. Can't wait!
Of course Scotland won't be resting anyone for that one

O'Driscoll saying they had nothing to lose, what?

Japan had a hell of a lot to lose.

I think people underestimate how difficult Japan's style is to play against when they are on song. It's significantly faster than pretty much every other side in the world, when they are disciplined and accurate it's a nightmare.

just turn on the TV to see ireland crash Japan!
no wait WHAT?? did Ireland completely underestimate Japan?
just watched the last 15. and they did it again!!
Japan to the rugby championship right now!

Latest posts