[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Ireland vs. Samoa (12/10/2019)

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Venue: Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium
    Time: 12:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Apparently there's the potential of a typhoon hitting when this game is on

Imagine if it got called off

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

If there was ever a game... If it does happen I'm going to use it discredit any team that wins the tournament so it won't be all bad!

5. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I doubt it. This typhoon seems to be a bit smaller than the previous on that threatened the France vs. USA match, and that match went ahead. Also, the organisers are now properly organised should the typhoon hit the towns, and they have a back-up plan in place should they move the game to another stadium which is roofed.

But worst case scenario, should it be called off, both teams will get 2 points. Then Ireland will be on 13 points. Scotland is currently on 5. And probably after the Russia game, they'll be on 9 or 10 points. That will leave Scotland to have to win Japan to leapfrog Ireland to second spot on the pool. Unless Japan and Scotland draw and both teams score bonus point tries. Which will leave Scotland and Ireland then both on 13. And Ireland has a far superior points differential than Scotland, albeit, that points differential will in all likelihood change against Russia.

And I can't see Scotland beating Japan

6. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

This is a final. Ireland have to win to guarantee they progress, and Samoa is already out so this is their last game and they’ll want to win it.

A typhoon would be the worst.

samoa are improving but are a long way away from being a cohesive team. Their structures aren’t terrible though and they have some ability if individuals step up, so you never know.

do Ireland play sexton if he is iffy?

7. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Plan is to start him and then pull him at half time or soon after depending on how it's going apprently.

As for a typhoon, I think getting knocked out by one is one if our best chances at an honorable exit from this tournament.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Well this and the especially the Scotland Japan game are the only real games of interest left. Can't see past Ireland here though.

9. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose First XV

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Another game massively enhanced by bonus points. Is Carbery really struggling for fitness? They defeated the ABs with him and could conceivably challenge for the title with him. You'd think any chance to give Sexton a rest in these past two games and bring him on a super-sub if they are struggling. I am no physio but having him play and then come off with an icepack doesn't sound like much of a remedy.

10. SuperEagle

SuperEagle Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

It would be hugely ironic if Ireland got eliminated because of rain. o_O

11. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Aye, apparently this typhoon is looking worse than predicted - however Farrell Sr. has said there's contingency plans in place - presumably shift to an indoor arena if it's super bad the day of?
    Obviously not ideal for fans, but better than calling it off completely.

12. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 International

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Carbery has been training this week and doing press so looks like he’ll have some involvement. The coaches preference with injured players seems to be either they don’t play or they start because it gives you more control over how long they play. Sexton’s also at the stage where he’s always managing something. Him applying an ice pack after going off is pretty common.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Wales could also get eliminated as well if Fiji win with a bonus point and the Wales- Uruguay game is called off.

14. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Guessing the plan for this game pre tournament was probably rotation with a stacked bench to keep players fit for the quarter final but not convinced we have that luxury now.

Henshaw being back is a boost, seems like Sexton will start and be brought off for Carbery as well. Other than that hard to gauge. 8 is a tricky one, Stander is our only actual option there and needs a rest anyway so decent chance we'll see Ruddock thede.

15. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'd like us to start Carbery and give Sexton 25 minutes or so, Carbery looked very off in his cameo against Japan but he was trying to save the ship Carty sunk, we need the latter not to play another minute if we want to play 4 games rather than two more in this tournament.

Henshaw could be a massive boost and apart from that we just need no backrow injuries, absolutely no Kleyn (You done ****** it there Joe) and have our pack start playing Intelligently again and we might just make a noise beyond the quarters... But I won't be placing bets on us.

16. MikeTheNative

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I agree about Carberry, I don't think he was good against Japan, perhaps even poor but he had to try something. As the game went on the more it seemed like that Japan was going to win, he had to try something different, it didn't come off but he took responsibility to a certain extent.

17. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Joey was pretty s*** against Japan is we're being honest but it was his first bane back from a decent injury and it wasn't exactly great environment to come into. Would way prefer him to Carty (and wish we'd brought Ross but oh well). I'd actually fo the other way though and start Sexton, get the BP early and comfortably and then get him off and give Joey some decent time on the pitch with less pressure.

Other than that Kleyn just straight up isn't good enough. Not a Toner thing, it's pretty clear Dev isn't at it right now for whatever reason (far from great for Leinster so far) and leaving him at home was fair but honestly wish we had Donnacha Ryan still available (who has ffar more of a cause for complain than f***ing Zebo). Not convinced Beirne would fair well against any decent pack either (in fact he's consistently struggled against them), really if anything happens to Ryan or Henderson we're f***ed. Leaves me pretty unsure of what I want to see here, on one hand there's an argument to go all guns blazing and try and get some form but on the other hand injuries could destroy us like last time, especially against a fairly brutal Samoa outfit who have nothing else to do other hurt us.

The more I think about this game though the more I think it makes sense to go for a full strength or nearly full strength team.

18. corny

corny Bench Player

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Hope we field a full second string. All the eggs in winning the quarter final basket.

Kilcoyne
    Scannell/Cronin
    Porter
    Kleyn
    Beirne
    not sure of backrow but no VDF (Ruddock, VDF, Stander would be my starting back row for the QF)
    McGrath
    Carberry
    Conway
    Henshaw
    Farrell
    Larmour
    Kearney (the only first teamer i'd play)

19. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Screenshot_2019-10-10-10-03-25-635_com.instagram.android.jpg

Considering we have to play unlike the other lazy ********! RK in and Ringrose for Aki and that's what I'd start against New Zealand, we need this game to be dusht by halftime and give Carbery a proper run too.

The bench is a bit rotten with Kleyn and O'Mahony, hoping this is their last game of the tournament.

20. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

Yep. Wonder why Ruddock's not there.

POM has been pish - if you don't need him for lineout ball and he isn't turning over ball on the ground he's an empty jersey - and Joe has been blind to it for far too long.

Beirne will likely give you all POM does - only better (except perhaps first jumper on opposition ball, but that's countered by being a better option for securing own ball) - and also a genuine carrying option as well as a tackle count beyond single figures.

21. MikeTheNative

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Surely you try the play the maximum mount of Connacht players as possible? It's typhoon conditions every home game for them..

• Like Like x 1
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!