• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Ireland vs. Samoa (12/10/2019)

Yep. Wonder why Ruddock's not there.

POM has been pish - if you don't need him for lineout ball and he isn't turning over ball on the ground he's an empty jersey - and Joe has been blind to it for far too long.

Beirne will likely give you all POM does - only better (except perhaps first jumper on opposition ball, but that's countered by being a better option for securing own ball) - and also a genuine carrying option as well as a tackle count beyond single figures.
I actually thought it was Ruddock reading it, if he's left out for POM in the QF we deserve to go home.

View attachment 7625

Considering we have to play unlike the other lazy ********! RK in and Ringrose for Aki and that's what I'd start against New Zealand, we need this game to be dusht by halftime and give Carbery a proper run too.

The bench is a bit rotten with Kleyn and O'Mahony, hoping this is their last game of the tournament.
If you think POM is going to be dropped for Ruddock in QF you have lost it.
Like you used in past for Kearney. POM is experienced. Is a favourite of Joes and a Lions test captain. Russock while on form simply just played well in 1 game vs Russia. And was never really in these squads consistently.
He's out there simply like Kleyn. As a bag holder. I like Ruddick as a player but sinply put the years of failing to be a main starter in Leinsters best 23 have caught him. Yes he's there now. And yes I do think he is capable if called upon but simply put 1 good game vs Russia is not form. And I'm not saying he is playing poor or that POM isn't but I will be shocked to the core if it's not POM, Van Der Flier and Stander starting next week with Ruddock benching ahead of Jordi.
Or else Kleyn and Tadgh covers backrow.

Kearney I'm sure rested, Jordi out and Ringrose rested.

POM is experienced. Is a favourite of Joes and a Lions test captain.

- Irrelevant.
- Shouldn't be a factor.
- Irrelevant.

Should we still be playing Willie John McBride? I'm sure Joe rated him in his day too, he's bags of experience and is a Lions test captain.

- Irrelevant.
- Shouldn't be a factor.
- Irrelevant.

Should we still be playing Willie John McBride? I'm sure Joe rated him in his day too, he's bags of experience and is a Lions test captain.
But these were factors used to defend Kearney in the past. And more so wheather either of us think its relevant or not it's the way Joe goes.

POM is not starting this week due to his time being over what was expected and being on the bench as this was a game that is needed to win. Rhys I understand has had a monitored training week as has POM. But has played 1 game against Russia. If he was seriously in the mix he'd be involved this weekend.

And I'd guess you haven't watched Ireland or Joe much but the bits you say are irrelevant well are very much so as that is the way Schmidt selects team and I guess he's relevant

There would be some that think to win a quarter final against SA or NZ we would need to have a blindside flanker who performs basic functions such as carrying and tackling etc. They'd be wrong though, far better to start the Munster captain anyway regardless of how awful his form is.

True both Ruddock and Kleyn were brought as bag carriers but if Kleyn had put in performances as good as Ruddock and Ryan or Henderson had been playing for as poorly as O'Mahony then there's rightfully be calls for him to start as well.

Being a Lions test captain has literally nothing to do with selection, it's no more of an argument for POM to start than it is to bring Paul O'Connell, Brian O'Driscoll or Willie John McBride out of retirement (in fact there's more of an argument because 'Lions Test Captain' O'Mahony led the lions to a heavy defeat before being dropped from the 23 for the remainder of the series, which is less impressive than most people try to make it sound).

There would be some that think to win a quarter final against SA or NZ we would need to have a blindside flanker who performs basic functions such as carrying and tackling etc. They'd be wrong though, far better to start the Munster captain anyway regardless of how awful his form is.

True both Ruddock and Kleyn were brought as bag carriers but if Kleyn had put in performances as good as Ruddock and Ryan or Henderson had been playing for as poorly as O'Mahony then there's rightfully be calls for him to start as well.

Being a Lions test captain has literally nothing to do with selection, it's no more of an argument for POM to start than it is to bring Paul O'Connell, Brian O'Driscoll or Willie John McBride out of retirement (in fact there's more of an argument because 'Lions Test Captain' O'Mahony led the lions to a heavy defeat before being dropped from the 23 for the remainder of the series, which is less impressive than most people try to make it sound).
But it has been mentioned by Schmidt that he is a vital cog because of his Lions experience as a captain.
And Ruddock has put in 1 good performance vs Russia. not performances with an S at this tournament.
As I said anyone who has monitored Schmidt will know this. I'm not saying Ruddock has been bad or is not deserving but the level of over hyping here is a bit OTT. If he starts ahead of POM I won't complain but equally as I said there may be a reason Ruddock has never been nailed on in a full strength 23 for club or country and it is a factor. Equally if Ruddock was in with a serious shout I'm sure he'd have more gametime than just the Russian game. Where again I'd note not 1 coach has hyped his performance up.

That is a very strong Irish lineup. If they cant secure a comfortable BP win here I'll join the Irish pessimists.

Ireland by 32 (BP win)

That is a very strong Irish lineup. If they cant secure a comfortable BP win here I'll join the Irish pessimists.

Ireland by 32 (BP win)

I also don't think everyone should be pessimistic. The England team of 07 and France team of 11 were DREADFUL. All it takes is one big performance and the momentum begins.

I like POM. Always have. He'll put his body on the line and IF things go for him he can be a match winner. But he could have no complaints if he's overtaken by Ruddock, J Murphy, or anyone else in the squad given his form. He's been irrelevant for some time now. If Stander, Furlong, Healy, etc were still blasting their way through opposition bodies the calls for Ruddock would be a whisper. But you can hardly blame folk for seeing Ruddock do what good sixes do (being physical) and thinking we need that.

Its academic though. Schmidt will pick POM to start the QF.

But it has been mentioned by Schmidt that he is a vital cog because of his Lions experience as a captain.
And Ruddock has put in 1 good performance vs Russia. not performances with an S at this tournament.
As I said anyone who has monitored Schmidt will know this. I'm not saying Ruddock has been bad or is not deserving but the level of over hyping here is a bit OTT. If he starts ahead of POM I won't complain but equally as I said there may be a reason Ruddock has never been nailed on in a full strength 23 for club or country and it is a factor. Equally if Ruddock was in with a serious shout I'm sure he'd have more gametime than just the Russian game. Where again I'd note not 1 coach has hyped his performance up.
Was good off the bench against Japan as well, actually brought a bit of go forward which no one else was offering.

And to be honest, setting aside form, he brings far more of what we need to the table than O'Mahony right now. If we start POM against NZ Stander will be left ineffective, Ruddock would change that. With Conan gone Ruddock is the obvious candidate to fill that void.

O'Mahony has the literally nothing since the All Blacks game last November to justify his presence in the wider squad, let alone the starting team. I understand the arguments to start him but it does reach a point where you need the odd good performance if you want to play for Ireland.

It is key for Ireland to get a bonus point of this unless they are aiming to play against the All Blacks. I think Ireland will get it but they need not to take this game light. They need to hit Samoa hard with physicality and Pick their fastest backs so they can out run those samoan boys as well as take them down and plow through them. I think if they put the effort in and grit their teeth they will come out with a bonus point and end up top of the table facing the boks in the 1/4 final.

Was good off the bench against Japan as well, actually brought a bit of go forward which no one else was offering.

And to be honest, setting aside form, he brings far more of what we need to the table than O'Mahony right now. If we start POM against NZ Stander will be left ineffective, Ruddock would change that. With Conan gone Ruddock is the obvious candidate to fill that void.

O'Mahony has the literally nothing since the All Blacks game last November to justify his presence in the wider squad, let alone the starting team. I understand the arguments to start him but it does reach a point where you need the odd good performance if you want to play for Ireland.
Again I'd disagree on POM doing nothing in any of the games since last Nov but again it is opinion. I'd even go as I have stated to saying as I already have I rate Ruddock. But I'm basing it on how Schmidt goes about his business. Do you really think he is going to just be thrown in from the cold after missing out on squad for every big game where everyone was available.
I'm not basing my opinion on form or even what each guy brings to the table but what Schmidt picks based on history

Samoa will win.....

....the battle of the haka (or their version of it)

:D

Latest posts