• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Ireland vs. Samoa (12/10/2019)

A walk in the park for Ireland hard to tell how well they are playing as Samoa are so poor.

So penalise for a high tackle but don't look too see if it was dangerous? Where's the consistency?

That penalty just now against Ryan was your case of play acting to get him he refs attention. Nanai-Williams made a meal of it and was clearly not hurt.

also, worth noting that sort of tackle got NZ two yellow card against Namibia, I.e. head contact to a player falling down. Hopefully those aren't yellows going forward, Ryan couldn't do anything else really.

Do Samoa understand the concept of the penalty. At the moment it seems like all Ireland need to do is get the ball and wait for Samoa to give away a penalty.

Can anyone explain to me how the choke tackle works? Surely to be called a maul, at least one attacker needs to be bound to the ball carrier, so when the defence try to hold the ball carrier up, why don't his teammates just stand back? No binding, no maul, surely? o_O

Can anyone explain to me how the choke tackle works? Surely to be called a maul, at least one attacker needs to be bound to the ball carrier, so when the defence try to hold the ball carrier up, why don't his teammates just stand back? No binding, no maul, surely? o_O
No as the attacker is the ball carrier. And initiates the contact.

That's my understanding of it, a maul requires players from both sides other than the ball carrier. However it doesn't seem to be refereed that way.

My mind is already drifting towards a NZ v Ireland QF (subject to what happens tomorrow, of course). What a contest that should be,

Oh look a try. Almost forgot what one of those was. Thought Ireland had forgotten too.

Samoa have been a f*cking disgrace in 2nd half 10 penalties conceded in 3rd quarter of the game according to Quinlan

Alort of chat and moaning from Samoans

They've been the worst team in the tournament after Canada They won't be missed

This is from: https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=16&language=EN

1. A maul can take place only in the field of play.
  2. It consists of a ball-carrier and at least one player from each team, bound together and on their feet.
  3. Once formed, a maul must move towards a goal line.

Oh right, so someone does have to bind onto the attacker. So why do his teammates pile in? Are they worried he'll be carried all the way back to their try line?

Latest posts