• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

That's not it though is it? International grade games have to have the required standard of medical facilities and staff to go with it. The way some people are talking is as though it's as easy as just finding a pitch and dropping the players off.
TBF it's not as if were talking about dropping them off at the local park though is it, Japan have had years to prepare for a multitude of scenario's rather than just cancelling games, so something should have at least been in place..

Any Top League ground would do.
Any of the numerous grounds that have already been used this tournament that aren't in the typhoon's path would do...

Like I said about, apparently the France/England game was going to be played in Oita but then they cancelled it instead (I think because they didn't want fans trying to travel there during the typhoon).

There's plenty of suitable grounds in the country.

Any of the numerous grounds that have already been used this tournament that aren't in the typhoon's path would do...

Like I said about, apparently the France/England game was going to be played in Oita but then they cancelled it instead (I think because they didn't want fans trying to travel there during the typhoon).

There's plenty of suitable grounds in the country.
Yeah of course, there are so many options. Ultimately it's World Rugby not wanting to lose ticket revenue while taking on the expense of a closed doors game in my opinion.

If this game doesn't happen, the tournament will be considered a disaster.

It is already tainted given two games between 6 nations and RC teams have been cancelled! These are some of the premier teams and they're just cancelling the games it's insane.

I think people underestimate the logistical difficulty in moving a planned event of such a scale to a new venue on short notice. Lets say there is even availability of a venue that would suffice? Its not one or two parties that need to agree, you can be damn sure no event will take place if all licenses, clearances and insurances relating to such aren't in place and those can take months to organize for an event of the scale of a RWC pool match. You are talking about traffic clearances, health and safety regs etc etc. It might be better in Japan but good luck trying to get any public works departments in SA to accommodate you on such short notice.

Don't get me wrong it would be a travesty of note not to have any game but it would be even more of a travesty if the games went ahead and even 1 person got injured because of an avoidable hazard. I believe the organizers made clear beforehand the possible implications of probable adverse weather.
What scale?
You need move 100 or so people a few hundred miles, in 48 hours.
The stadia are already there, the pitches are already marked and posts already erected, the medical suites are already present and fully kitted out, ALL the infrastructure is already there, fans aren't needed when playing behind closed doors; you just need to move 46 players, 3 officials and a couple of team doctors and half a dozen physios. Everything else is window dressing.
Yes, it would be nice to have the rest of the squads; yes it would be nice to have the nutritionists; yes it would be nice to have the camera crews and the TMO van. However, it's perfectly possible to play international rugby without any of those things - and far, far better to do so, than to not play any rugby at all.

If you don't have fans, then you don't need stewards, or policing, or any of the other stuff that makes these events large in scale.

What scale?
You need move 100 or so people a few hundred miles, in 48 hours.
The stadia are already there, the pitches are already marked and posts already erected, the medical suites are already present and fully kitted out, ALL the infrastructure is already there, fans aren't needed when playing behind closed doors; you just need to move 46 players, 3 officials and a couple of team doctors and half a dozen physios. Everything else is window dressing.
Yes, it would be nice to have the rest of the squads; yes it would be nice to have the nutritionists; yes it would be nice to have the camera crews and the TMO van. However, it's perfectly possible to play international rugby without any of those things - and far, far better to do so, than to not play any rugby at all.

If you don't have fans, then you don't need stewards, or policing, or any of the other stuff that makes these events large in scale.
Modern day rugby can't be played without the TMO, for that you need the camera crews.

One problem the WC organisers have is that if they move the Scotland game they will be sued to high heaven and back by the Italians as if they can move it for Scotland why can't they move it for Italy.

WR would be bang to rights and have no defence.

Therefore there is precisely zero change of the Scotland game being rearranged it will either be played on time or not at all.

Has anybody thought of the real victims? The TV companies who have paid for the rights to broadcast 48 games and instead are only getting 44 games.

Like the guy above said forget about all that and play the game in an indoor training faculty with no spectators. Get the two teams on a bus somewhere and have them play. That's it. It's unthinkable that 4 years and more of hard work and prep could come down to bad weather.

I'm sure something like that (assuming all is legit) is better than nothing. I was just pointing out its not as clear cut as some posters make it out to be. Also, do they then not rearrange ALL games?

People tend not to think about all the nitty gritty. For instance if I was the insurer of player X and he got injured during a game I would be sure to ask if all the Ts and Cs were adhered to before forking out millions in cover for loss of income for that player.

"The rules are the rules. The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it's two points for each team. We have all been aware that postponed games could happen and the rules state that in the pool stages they cannot be delayed"
- Gregor Townsend, 7th October 2019

"The way I read the rules was you can't change days, but you could change venues – contingencies would be in place. I have since been told there is force majeure, that things can change because of exceptional circumstances.

"If that means Monday because it takes a day for things to be put back in order, then who knows? But just now I think they are planning for it to go ahead on Sunday."
- Gregor Townsend, 10th October 2019

- Gregor Townsend, 7th October 2019

- Gregor Townsend, 10th October 2019

Interesting choice of where to cut his first quote off!

"The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it's two points for each team. Whether it can be played in another venue, I'm not too sure".

I think people underestimate the logistical difficulty in moving a planned event of such a scale to a new venue on short notice. Lets say there is even availability of a venue that would suffice? Its not one or two parties that need to agree, you can be damn sure no event will take place if all licenses, clearances and insurances relating to such aren't in place and those can take months to organize for an event of the scale of a RWC pool match. You are talking about traffic clearances, health and safety regs etc etc. It might be better in Japan but good luck trying to get any public works departments in SA to accommodate you on such short notice.

Don't get me wrong it would be a travesty of note not to have any game but it would be even more of a travesty if the games went ahead and even 1 person got injured because of an avoidable hazard. I believe the organizers made clear beforehand the possible implications of probable adverse weather.
As others have said, simply playing it behind closed doors solves almost all of these problems. Not ideal but vastly better than the alternative.

It has started... article on BBC bringing up in opening that Scotland were dumped out by a poor refereeing decision 4 years ago, and now could be dumped out by the typhoon. I agree in parts with article, but god it is bitter.

.... not that they got absolutely spanked by Ireland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50003523

I do find it strange that Wales and Scotland have their own rugby reporters, and we're left with a Welshman to do the English ones.

It has started... article on BBC bringing up in opening that Scotland were dumped out by a poor refereeing decision 4 years ago, and now could be dumped out by the typhoon. I agree in parts with article, but god it is bitter.

.... not that they got absolutely spanked by Ireland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50003523

I do find it strange that Wales and Scotland have their own rugby reporters, and we're left with a Welshman to do the English ones.

Well one of Scotland's best known rugby reporters on the BBC is called Tom English and he speaks with an Irish accent. Figure that one out!

Has anybody thought of the real victims? The TV companies who have paid for the rights to broadcast 48 games and instead are only getting 44 games.
There's a rumour they're the ones who scuppered the alternative venue plans.

No one named any names, of course.

Latest projections have the typhoon clearing the area Saturday night, so I think the game will go ahead. Wait and see how much of the crowd is able to travel in the aftermath though.

There's a rumour they're the ones who scuppered the alternative venue plans.

No one named any names, of course.

Latest projections have the typhoon clearing the area Saturday afternoon, so I think the game will go ahead. Wait and see how much of the crowd is able to travel in the aftermath though.

Any idea why?

Latest posts