• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

Any idea why?
Only thing I can think of is one of the broadcasters ran into a logistical problem and didn't want a game to happen if they couldn't broadcast it... or they weren't able to come to a financial arrangement.

All just speculation though. We might find out more some time after the final...

I mean come on, they definitely should have planned for this sort of thing. Its a horrible way to put a country out especially when that country is higher ranked than the country they would lose to. Honestly I think that if the game doesn't go ahead there will be horrible media for world rugby and many, many people will sue. Besides the point of whether or not it will be played, I think Scotland will take it because they rested all of their important backs and still have quite a few fresh forwards coming into the game. I dont think Japan has what it takes to beat Scotland with speed or physicality. Japan play a lot like scotland with kicking for territory, risky passes and chips, I just dont think that Japan have refined this style of playing like scotland and Scotlands backs are world renowned. Im Sorry but Im gonna have to say scotland through to 1/4 finals.

I mean come on, they definitely should have planned for this sort of thing. Its a horrible way to put a country out especially when that country is higher ranked than the country they would lose to. Honestly I think that if the game doesn't go ahead there will be horrible media for world rugby and many, many people will sue. Besides the point of whether or not it will be played, I think Scotland will take it because they rested all of their important backs and still have quite a few fresh forwards coming into the game. I dont think Japan has what it takes to beat Scotland with speed or physicality. Japan play a lot like scotland with kicking for territory, risky passes and chips, I just dont think that Japan have refined this style of playing like scotland and Scotlands backs are world renowned. Im Sorry but Im gonna have to say scotland through to 1/4 finals.

Depending on side selection I will be thinking roughly.

40% chance Scotland win with a BP.
40% chance Scotland win without BP (Japan through)
20% chance Japan win

But please note, Japan currently 8th in the world, Scotland 9th.

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru?lang=en

Only thing I can think of is one of the broadcasters ran into a logistical problem and didn't want a game to happen if they couldn't broadcast it... or they weren't able to come to a financial arrangement.

All just speculation though. We might find out more some time after the final...
Hmmm... there are obviously many moving parts to this whole situation but it's dumbfounded me that games have actually been cancelled. This weekend should've had the most number of games over a two day period throughout the whole cup... what a disappointment.

Depending on side selection I will be thinking roughly.

40% chance Scotland win with a BP.
40% chance Scotland win without BP (Japan through)
20% chance Japan win

But please note, Japan currently 8th in the world, Scotland 9th.

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru?lang=en

Wait Scotland dont need to beat Japan with a bonus point correct? They just need to win since Scotland received a bonus point over russia with a 61-0 win.

Wait Scotland dont need to beat Japan with a bonus point correct? They just need to win since Scotland received a bonus point over russia with a 61-0 win.
To my knowledge, Scotland wouldn't need a BP as long as they prevented Japan from getting a losing BP (or two). If Japan lost but only by 7 or less and/or scored 4 tries Japan would then qualify iirc.

If Scotland wins with a BP they're through either way.

Edit. If Japan were to get 2 BP's and lose there is nothing Scotland can do as even if the Scots had a BP win they would be a point short of Japan.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Scotland wouldn't need a BP as long as they prevented Japan from getting a losing BP (or two). If Japan lost but only by 7 or less and/or scored 4 tries Japan would then qualify iirc.
Yes that was my understanding too. I think Scotland Can do it and hold Japan off.

I was just reading an article and it says that the SRU (Scottish Rugby Union) are ready to take legal action to make sure the game is played its really interesting but you need to get the free trial. It really sets my hopes up for the game to be played.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-w...d-prepared-take-legal-action-ensure-decisive/
I've got a feeling it will be played... the potential for a negative media bombardment is too threatening to the tournaments legacy.

I've got a feeling it will be played... the potential for a negative media bombardment is too threatening to the tournaments legacy.
Yes I agree the media as well as the public out cry will be too much. I am really eager for this match to go ahead because I know that it should be a jolly good match, nevertheless one of the most important pool games of the tournament.

Hmmm I don't know any Scottish person who would choose these words. Overconfident claims of beating Japan. Something smells fishy here.
Im sorry to say that they are not overconfident claims. I do think Japan have a chance if they put their head to it but for a fact Scotland are gonna throw everything they have into this game and so are Japan but I just think Scotland's game is more refined than Japan's. Its important for Scotland to be physical and have fast line speed but to be honest I think playerwise Scotland will win on physicality and speed.

To be honest I like having an outside opinion from a country not in the tournament.

Trouble is they would have to play the Italy game and the England game too.

You can't have one rule for one and a different rule for another. I doubt England would complain, but Italy would

It took a whole day of everyone going losing their s*** but I'd hope that world rugby have copped to the fact that if this game doesn't go ahead they'll be a global laughing shock for years to come, not to mention that the integrity of the tournament will have been destroyed.

Not that what they did to Italy was any better, leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Trouble is they would have to play the Italy game and the England game too.

You can't have one rule for one and a different rule for another. I doubt England would complain, but Italy would
I agree with you but I think its unrealistic for Italy to beat New Zealand. That game is not as important as this cause the teams aren't as equal. Having said that I agree that there should not be one rule for a team and another for another team. I think they should just postpone all the games one week but keep all the original venues. Just postpone the cup back 1 week.

I agree with you but I think its unrealistic for Italy to beat New Zealand. That game is not as important as this cause the teams aren't as equal. Having said that I agree that there should not be one rule for a team and another for another team. I think they should just postpone all the games one week but keep all the original venues. Just postpone the cup back 1 week.
Doesn't matter whether or not it's 'realistic'. They deserve the opportunity, that's the point of the whole tournament.

Problem is that all the travelling fans have flights etc booked, just moving everything back a week isnt as easy as it sounds.

Latest posts