• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

So theres a lot of talk of this (and the England game) being called off.

Can't rearrange the game because no other stadium holds the amount of tickets sold, and also public transport will be down so there's no way to move the 70k people safely within a 160mph typhoon.

Nothing confirmed so I'm hoping it's all BS - this is potentially the game of the groups.

World Rugby and World Cup organisers are due to hold a press conference at noon local time on Thursday (4am BST). They may be forced into taking the unprecedented step of cancelling the two games as the category five super typhoon heads for an area that includes Yokohama. Both matches were among the most in-demand when tickets went on sale.

The Scots are scheduled to play the hosts at the 72,000-seater Yokohama Stadium on Sunday, a day after England meet France at the same venue on the Pacific coast, south of the Japanese capital. But the stakes are highest for the Scots, who would be eliminated if their match against Japan were to be cancelled, assuming that Ireland beat Samoa in Fukuoka on Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-matches-at-risk-as-typhoon-hagibis-escalates

So theres a lot of talk of this (and the England game) being called off.

Can't rearrange the game because no other stadium holds the amount of tickets sold, and also public transport will be down so there's no way to move the 70k people safely within a 160mph typhoon.

Nothing confirmed so I'm hoping it's all BS - this is potentially the game of the groups.

Surely you'd play in an empty stadium elsewhere over cancelling it? Going to have to refund the tickets anyway.

Surely you'd play in an empty stadium elsewhere over cancelling it? Going to have to refund the tickets anyway.
That's what I would have thought, too
They were going to move the England game 500 miles south but decided against it in the end.

If it goes ahead it will be a absolute cracker. So much at stake. Think with the support you would have to favour Japan. I feel sorry for Hastings. He is World class and will probably not start.

I read that Japan only conceded six penalties in the whole match against Ireland. That's incredible for a Tier 2 side v one of the top Tier 1 sides. Will try and find out how many they conceded against Samoa and Russia. Will be interesting to see the count on Sunday v Scotland and in the QF assuming they make it there. The stats will speak for themselves but the officials don't seem too harsh towards them.

I can totally see why Townsend had a thinly veiled dig about the crooked scrum feed ahead of Sunday as he's clearly sceptical too.

You did see Japan go 12-3 down to Ireland off the back of three penalties inside the Japanese 22 in the first 20mins? Ireland only conceded 9 penalties, which is very low for a side that spent most of the game defending (all the top tackle count players were Irish).

If it is a conspiracy, it's a very elaborate one, to grant penalties that gave Ireland a two score lead. At what point in the Ireland game do we think Gardner and his assistants took the (conscious or unconscious) decision to start manufacturing a Japanese victory?

It's not even like the Japaness crowd is hostile and boos bad decisions, they are quite naive with some of the technicalities as and many of their fans are new. They just cheer everything. It isn't like being in a cauldron with a hostile crowd pressurising the ref.

Maybe I'm wrong and:

- Referees from multiple nations are conspiring against the World Rugby bastions of Ireland and Scotland,
- Japan don't deserve their points tally in the group.
- The very integrity of the competition has been called into question.

None of that is hyperbole if we take what Schmidt and Townsend have said at face value. I'll gladly choose not to live in that universe.

Very happy that ITV pointed out a scrum feed had been penalised earlier in the contest and also almost apologised for Townsend by saying he was responding to a question rather than volunteering what he said.

Surely they won't cancel unaffected games? Imagine them cancelling Ireland v Samoa not because of weather but just because other games are cancelled... that would be madness given fans have bought tickets etc.
We can't pass Japan if they get the two points for a draw. I think they're just presuming we'll beat Samoa.

We can't pass Japan if they get the two points for a draw. I think they're just presuming we'll beat Samoa.

Ah ok didn't realise that.... either way, if you were a fan wouldn't you rather watch the game? And I'm sure the payers would rather get another game under their belt as well.

That is a real shame for the Scots then if they won't get a chance to actually win a place in the finals.

Ah ok didn't realise that.... either way, if you were a fan wouldn't you rather watch the game? And I'm sure the payers would rather get another game under their belt as well.

That is a real shame for the Scots then if they won't get a chance to actually win a place in the finals.
Yeah. I definitely want both to go ahead, if they do I reckon we'd play SA, who I think we can beat, rather than you lads who we don't have much of a chance against at all!

Yeah. I definitely want both to go ahead, if they do I reckon we'd play SA, who I think we can beat, rather than you lads who we don't have much of a chance against at all!

I don't know... if Ireland revert to type and play the same kind of game as against Scotland then it will give us real trouble. The no-risk game is a bit of a kryptonite to the ABs judging by the last few results. Even the game we won was unconvincing.

1274, 1281, 2019?

I hope it doesn't go down this way. It would be a very unsatisfying way to win a QF place :(

The Telegraph reports that England and France revealed they were making plans to move the game 1000km south to Oita on Kyushu island. But the fact that the match would have been played behind closed doors so as to discourage fans from travelling did not meet with universal approval from all stakeholders, including broadcasters.

That doesn't add up... why would broadcasters want a game cancelled? Do they get a generous refund or something?

1274, 1281, 2019?

I hope it doesn't go down this way. It would be a very unsatisfying way to win a QF place :(

Yeah, I was thinking of linking to those dates. Hell if the divine winds can stop the Mongol hordes, then the wee little Scots have no chance.

On a serious note I don't envy the officials making the decision. They are having to balance player welfare & safety, public safety, fans who have had to pay money, fans wanting to watch around the world, the opinions of sponsors, broadcasters and other stakeholders. On top if they do cancel there will be some people who will remain convinced that it was all an excuse to guarantee Japan get to the quarters, regardless of whether it's true or not. Seems that rearranging isn't being supported by broadcasters and other parties involved, so looks like fans will lose out to those who want profits as per usual. Overall though safety has to come first and I think that will ultimately be the deciding factor.

I think it would spoil the world cup if the game got cancelled because Scotland is a better team in general and would stand a better chance against the bocks or the AB's. Japan will end their world cup within the first 20 minutes of the quarter final game whereas scotland will at least beat them or make it a good game.

That doesn't add up... why would broadcasters want a game cancelled? Do they get a generous refund or something?

I'm guessing the stadiums and areas surrounding the venues aren't supportive as they would not get any money from receipts and other sales, so it's obvious why they wouldn't be thrilled about it, although I'm sure they could sell tickets cheaply for people to walk in as I assume there will be some fans still around, though obviously still not going to sell out. I'm guessing the original venues will have to refund regardless of moving or cancelled, so that shouldn't change much. Teams travelling is not ideal and disrupts their carefully planned preparation. Again not a huge issue, but I can see why they might not want to do it at an organisational level, even if the players want to play.

However in terms of broadcasters...yeah I'm not sure either. I guess if there is no atmosphere they won't have as many neutrals watching, though Japan vs Scotland is probably the pick of the pool matches now.

I think it would spoil the world cup if the game got cancelled because Scotland is a better team in general and would stand a better chance against the bocks or the AB's. Japan will end their world cup within the first 20 minutes of the quarter final game whereas scotland will at least beat them or make it a good game.

Boks, not bocks. Wow, that's a confident post for a first timer. I like the enthusiasm, but I feel you might be getting ahead of yourself. Having said that I do think the game should be played if possible as it's the most open pool and it would be a shame to finish it with a cancelled match.

Boks, not bocks. Wow, that's a confident post for a first timer. I like the enthusiasm, but I feel you might be getting ahead of yourself. Having said that I do think the game should be played if possible as it's the most open pool and it would be a shame to finish it with a cancelled match.
I may be getting ahead of my self when it comes to beating the all blacks but not the "boks". I still think that Scotland would beat japan even in bad conditions.

Latest posts