• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Scotland vs. Russia (09/10/2019)

I watched up until the 3rd try then had to go to work. Judging by the mistakes Russia was making I expected a cricket score when checking the score now but they seemed to have tightened it up.

Heard at least twice that the commentary should be neutral, but the amount of over the top praise is ridiculous sometimes. Monye the only one trying to keep feet on the ground. Yes Scotland have played well overall, but this is a tired and weak Russian team. They've given it all, but they're done. Some of the commentary is exactly what people mean when pundits/media etc... overhype Scotland.

Right on time for Fiji to get the most out of their offloading game, right?
Well I was obviously referring to the knock outs but I've been pretty open about having the 'fiji-jeebies'... as a Welshman who lived through watching the 2007 debacle it is permanently etched into my soul!

Heard at least twice that the commentary should be neutral, but the amount of over the top praise is ridiculous sometimes. Monye the only one trying to keep feet on the ground. Yes Scotland have played well overall, but this is a tired and weak Russian team. They've given it all, but they're done. Some of the commentary is exactly what people mean when pundits/media etc... overhype Scotland.

Happens for every British and Irish team!

So yeah, Russian heads are already at the airport.

I can't really blame them. They stood up and made it hard work to score against them in a couple of games where no one expected them to and they never thought they'd be at the tournament in the first place.

Happens for every British and Irish team!

As I just read this I've got Nick Mullins in my ear going "oh, oh, look who it is. It's all about the Hastings family."

Yep that's a neutral commentary.

Does it come as a suprise Barnes missed a couple of forward passes?

That'll be Monye who was gushing in his praise for the Russians taking an age pre-scrum so they could have a wee rest. Somehow I can't imagine him being so delighted with the tactic if it was Wales doing it to England while 6 points up with 5 mins to go.

The big problem with this game was the the Russian's didn't challenge the Scottish defence at all, and that's the scots major problem against better teams. Well done for Scotland for staying sharp and taking the opportunities. Can't wait for the Sundays game. It'll be interesting to see what tactics Scotland go with, as playing their usual fast and wide game may not be the best approach.

Pretty happy with that - doesn't teach us a lot we didn't know (we can score tries, we probably can't stop other teams scoring them), but winning by 61 after mass changes is pretty decent. Let's just agree to ignore that it was one of the weakest teams at the World Cup, who didn't qualify, and are probably knackered after a pretty brutal schedule.

As I just read this I've got Nick Mullins in my ear going "oh, oh, look who it is. It's all about the Hastings family."

Yep that's a neutral commentary.

Have you ever watched an England, Wales or Ireland game? I agree it's annoying, but putting points on shite opposition always gets over-hyped.

Have you ever watched an England, Wales or Ireland game? I agree it's annoying, but putting points on shite opposition always gets over-hyped.
The only alternative is to continue to remind people every time "that it's only Russia"... That doesn't sound like a nice alternative.

Latest posts