• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: Yokohama International Stadium
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Surely this is game of the round? Worthy of a RWC final and could even be the case at the end.

Where to start.. I feel this should* be a close game. I feel this one might be that little more important for SA than for NZ. My reasoning is that I think the 'easier' route to a final will be more important for SA since I see us as having been traditionally the more erratic side but on current results the opposite could be the case unless every Kiwi posters has been right all along and Hansen has been keeping his cards ridiculously close to his chest.

I'll hold off on any predictions until the teams are named but I'm quietly confident even if I admit NZ will be considered favs.

EDIT: I see the referee is Jerome Garces. I don't know how I feel about that. Its like some kind of bad joke.

Last edited:
Surely this is game of the round? Worthy of a RWC final and could even be the case at the end.

Where to start.. I feel this should* be a close game. I feel this one might be that little more important for SA than for NZ. My reasoning is that I think the 'easier' route to a final will be more important for SA since I see us as having been traditionally the more erratic side but on current results the opposite could be the case unless every Kiwi posters has been right all along and Hansen has been keeping his cards ridiculously close to his chest.

I'll hold off on any predictions until the teams are named but I'm quietly confident even if I admit NZ will be considered favs.

It is kind of a toss up isn't it? Quarter against Scotland, semi against England vs. a quarter vs. Ireland and semi against Wales/Aus... not a lot of difference in terms of making it to a final.

I'd say NZ will want to win this one as much as SA does. Apparently the weather is going to be rainy, does that suit the boks a bit better?

It is kind of a toss up isn't it? Quarter against Scotland, semi against England vs. a quarter vs. Ireland and semi against Wales/Aus... not a lot of difference in terms of making it to a final.

I'd say NZ will want to win this one as much as SA does. Apparently the weather is going to be rainy, does that suit the boks a bit better?

Maybe, We've been training in the rain when the last typhoon was in Japan, so we are prepared for those conditions should that occur.

Man I can't wait anymore.

close game, no more than 30 points in it, should be a spectacle, lovely running rugby in rainy muddy humid conditions

The above makes as much sense as my thoughts on who will take this one
I need a beer...

NZ are favourites for me. When they really turn up that are unbeatable, however it seems that the current team looks beatable more often than a few years ago so a SA win would not surprise me at all.

If its Ire + Aus I'd be more inclined to see us progress but I can't see Wales going down to Aus.. although Aus is a bit of a bogey side for Wales aren't they.. Anyway, our recent record vs Wales and Ireland isn't pretty whereas I think we'll be confident against Scotland and England. England because they are something of a known quantity for us more than anything and I am not suggesting they are a worse team than either Ireland or Wales, just possibly worst against us specifically.

I don't know that any rain would particularly change the advantage to any team TBH. I don't think the ABs lose much in the wet ITO handling. In that sense it hampers us more. Maybe though the yard or two it takes off ITO space/manuvribilty and more focus it puts on winning the contact area will favor us.

I'd love to believe that the Springboks will win this, but I have to go with my head as opposed to my heart. I think the All Blacks will pip us to the victory.

We'll still meet them in the Final though and that's where we'll clinch the trophy.

Really looking forward to this one. The pick of the opening weekend's games imo. Can't choose between them, but can already tell this game is going to have a big impact on this RWC. Neither side will want to lose to the other if anything it's a Sprinkbok/All Black match, but also to give the other side a psychological advantage, if this does turn out to be the final.

This is the the best pool game by a long way, 2nd and 4th in the world giving it everything to avoid number 1 and give themselves a chance... This is what makes the early stages of the world cup. ;)

Hoping for a tight game with NZ winning or another draw. (I'd then back NZ to rack up the scores to top the pool)

This is the the best pool game by a long way, 2nd and 4th in the world giving it everything to avoid number 1 and give themselves a chance... This is what makes the early stages of the world cup. ;)

Hoping for a tight game with NZ winning or another draw. (I'd then back NZ to rack up the scores to top the pool)

Erm... we outscored the AB's in tries and scores during the RC.

We have learnt how to score some tries with our Wingers...

EDIT: I see the referee is Jerome Garces. I don't know how I feel about that. Its like some kind of bad joke.

Not only Jermone Garces but he will be assisted by Poite, its like world rugby Continually tries to sabotage and show SA rugby the middle finger. We probably only got Garces because Bryce Lawrence was unavailable. I don't like how hard on the whistle the French refs are

Not only Jermone Garces but he will be assisted by Poite, its like world rugby Continually tries to sabotage and show SA rugby the middle finger. We probably only got Garces because Bryce Lawrence was unavailable. I don't like how hard on the whistle the French refs are

Garces has red carded 2 All Black players in the last 2 years, so maybe he'll do SA a favour this time around;). Seriously, though I think it's a Southern hemisphere sides not liking being reffed by a Northern Hemisphere ref, especially a French one, who refs and applies the laws differently to a Southern hemisphere ref like a Peyper or Gardner or Jackson. SA have just got to adapt and know beforehand what Garces and Poite's idiosyncracies are.

Same applies to the Northern hemisphere sides and not liking how southern hemisphere refs, ref the game.

Any chance we don't have a massive game of "Pin The Blame On The Referee" after this one?
Already begun, it has.

Have to say I'm surprised that our Saffi contingent are more worried about Garces than Kiwis. Also wouldn't the wet favour NZ over SA?

Any chance we don't have a massive game of "Pin The Blame On The Referee" after this one?

Depends on the refereeing doesn't it?

But in all fairness, we have been shafted by referees in the past and more importantly at World Cups (Remember Bryce Lawrence).

I actually think Garces has improved a lot and should be contender to whistle the final if France isn't in it.

But you can't blame my countrymen for feeling this way due to history.

But with that said, Poite has also been very good the last couple of matches we played. Most recent one was against Argentina.

But what is interesting is that our coaching staff made a plea to Garces this week to treat both teams equally and not put NZ on a pedestal.

But in all fairness, we have been shafted by referees in the past and more importantly at World Cups (Remember Bryce Lawrence).

I actually think Garces has improved a lot and should be contender to whistle the final if France isn't in it.

But with that said, Poite has also been very good the last couple of matches we played. Most recent one was against Argentina.

But what is interesting is that our coaching staff made a plea to Garces this week to treat both teams equally and not put NZ on a pedestal.
Everyone's been shafted by a referee at some point, everyone thinks their own team has it worst but that's just human nature. It all balances out overall.

Isn't it a bit odd that both sides seem to be saying the choice of referee disadvantages their team specifically? They can't both be right.

He hardly puts us on a pedestal he has red carded 2 all blacks in the last couple of years! I'm as unhappy about a French ref as you are. Will never forgive the third lions test.

Latest posts