• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

I mean the "other" Joubert World Cup incident, when he gave a dodgy call against Scotland in the QFs then running from the field of play.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that one.
South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Jesse Kriel

Hoping for impact from these boys in bold. They are probably in better form than the starters. Louw and Steyn are good lads to have there if we find ourselves ahead at the 60 minute mark.

Starting team basically picks itself. My only slight gripe: I'm still of the opinion Nkosi should get a look in ahead of Mapimpi.

I was half convinced that Steyn at 22 was just getting game time.
Disappointed this isn't the case, if I can't have Willemse or Bosch at 22 I'd prefer Jantjies to Steyn.

If Pollard gets injured early we basically just lose the game IMO.

Edit: I am 95% happy with the team however, just very few talking points as this is exactly the 23 from the Japan test.

Because he is poor on defence.
This isn't true at all, all of our wingers have had foolish-seeming moments in green under Rassie this is mostly because of our defensive pattern where the wingers often rush up and smother 13 before he can get the pass off, and occasionally they get it wrong.

Whether or not this is a good defensive system is the argument, I don't think any of them are bad tacklers, but Nkosi certainly isn't.

This isn't true at all, all of our wingers have had foolish-seeming moments in green under Rassie this is mostly because of our defensive pattern where the wingers often rush up and smother 13 before he can get the pass off, and occasionally they get it wrong.

Whether or not this is a good defensive system is the argument, I don't think any of them are bad tacklers, but Nkosi certainly isn't.
Have a look at the game of SA vs Aus, he doesn't commit to tackles, especially against bigger opponents.

Interesting that the starting wingers for this match will all be relatively small (especially for SA) when compared to likely wingers from Northern hemisphere teams:

SA 170 kg
NZ 183 kg (Reece & Bridge)

France 186 kg (Huget and Thomas)
Ireland 190 kg (Stockdale & Earls)
Scotland 196 kg (Seymour & Maitland)
Wales 204 kg (North & Adams)
England 214 kg (May & Cokanasiga)

Nkosi is not a worse defender than Mapimpi. I'd say there is enough evidence of him being better though both can be lazy on the track back at least Nkosi is solid under the high ball, in fact he is brilliant. Both are lethal on the attack but I think Nkosi is the more clinical. Doesn't need much space. Maybe even less than Kolbe.

Probably the only reason is Kolbe is seen as 1st choice and Mapimpi is prefered ahead of Nkosi at 11 specifically. Having been a winger myself I think its fair enough to ask a winger to swap though admittedly this is at a level (or three) above my personal experience.

Interesting that the starting wingers for this match will all be relatively small (especially for SA) when compared to likely wingers from Northern hemisphere teams:

SA 170 kg

I think the days of big SA wingers are gone. The likes of Duhan van der Merwe is a prime example of having been SA top try scorer in schools but not getting chance at age group and then go looking for work outside SA as it is the black guys getting the benefit of the doubt at age group and filtering into the senior sides and in my experience the white guys tend to be the bigger fellas. We also don't have access to PI wingers who tend to be heavier built.

Last edited:
Have a look at the game of SA vs Aus, he doesn't commit to tackles, especially against bigger opponents.
Nkosi is a much better defender than Mapimpi, you clearly have not watch much rugby with these 2 players involved.

SA 170 kg

Dynamite comes in small packagesXD

Nkosi is a much better defender than Mapimpi, you clearly have not watch much rugby with these 2 players involved.
I didn't even bring Mapimpi up and look at guys playing for the Boks objectively regardless of who their provincial team is, but yes he's a worse defender than Nkosi. Still doesn't say much though, both of them are poor on defence and shoot out of the line to compensate for it. Apart from Kolbe who punches above his weight in just about every department, wing defence has been a problem for the Boks for some time.

I didn't even bring Mapimpi up and look at guys playing for the Boks objectively regardless of who their provincial team is, but yes he's a worse defender than Nkosi. Apart from Kolbe who punches above his weight in just about every department, win defence has been a problem for the Boks for some time.
The entire conversation originated with why is Nkosi not in the place of Mapimpi and you replied with " because he is a poor defender " so he was brought up, we have just given our opinion that Nkosi is a better defender than Mapimpi so in our opinion that can not be the reason why Mapimpi is starting over Nkosi, as later stated the reason is that Nkosi is a #14 not #11

Anyone have a update on how far Jan Serfontein is from recovering from injury?

Anyone have a update on how far Jan Serfontein is from recovering from injury?

I don't have the foggiest but you think we would call on him if fit? Centre is the one area where I feel we don't have a horse in any sort 'top 5 in position' discussion. A fit and firing Serfontein might be brought up but I expect that ship has sailed.

I don't have the foggiest but you think we would call on him if fit? Centre is the one area where I feel we don't have a horse in any sort 'top 5 in position' discussion. A fit and firing Serfontein might be brought up but I expect that ship has sailed.
Well, I don't think Frans Steyn is all that fit or on form but he is there and I am a huge Frans Steyn fan as a Sharks supporter.I would really like if we could have had Serfontein at the WC but logic just says that even if he is fit he will only have a shout now if we get a injury to atleast 2 centres. Andre Esterhuizen probs the backup.

I am so excited for this....I had tickets for both this match and Ireland vs Scotland which I had to sell as I couldn't travel to Tokyo in the end. I will be sad watching the match (as I would have been there), but at least my wife has agreed to take the kids out so I can watch the match (and the earlier ones) in relative peace

I feel either team will probably be favourites for the quarter finals matches no matter which teams in Pool A they face, the main benefit will be the winning team gaining momentum

As an AB supporter I would obviously prefer a win, but wouldn't be that upset with a small loss as:
1) Usually the All Blacks respond well to a loss......although the benefit from this may dissipate with the large amount time between this match and the quarter final
2) England will be very tough to beat in a semi-final assuming results go as expected

I am sure when Saturday rolls around I will throw that logic out the window! Especially as I am going to a South African friend's 40th on Saturday evening.
It is fantastic that it it is so evenly poised, like everyone I am hoping for a match that is won by skill rather than a refereeing decision.

Two games ago the Wallabies pack got monstered by a 7 All Blacks pack, in the second Bledisloe test. Maybe you are referring to the Perth game, which saw Scott Barrett sent off prior to half time?

I am backing New Zealand, although the game might be as close as the semi final of 2015.
Sorry you are correct. I obviously wasnt talking about the Eden park demolition. It was the game before that when the All Blacks conceded a record total to one of the worst Wallaby teams in modern history.

I'm rooting for the Springboks. A much more likeable team.

No team in history has lost a group game and won the world cup. I reckon whoever loses this is out of the running.

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Jesse Kriel
Interesting, they've reverted back to the front row that has performed second best. I dont get it it was odd when the first choice front row was selcted in the seco d string team that olayed the first rugby championship match against australia. Then after the first two games it looked like the selectors had learnt. Maybe they feel the first choice front row is better suited against the likely all blacks reserves. They were last time. I am worried.

Everything else is as expected. Is nkosi available?

Interesting, they've reverted back to the front row that has performed second best. I dont get it it was odd when the first choice front row was selcted in the seco d string team that olayed the first rugby championship match against australia. Then after the first two games it looked like the selectors had learnt. Maybe they feel the first choice front row is better suited against the likely all blacks reserves. They were last time. I am worried.

Everything else is as expected. Is nkosi available?
Have to say the boks front row options is looking very solid, that second half subs will be huge !!

Nkosi is raring to go !! But kolbe is prefered over him I do not really mind I rate them both highly

Latest posts