• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 2 - France vs. USA (02/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

Hc45KkY.png
j7lEIMe.png
Rn6kOPF.png

Venue: Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium
Time: 09:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Why organise a World Cup in a Typhoon area during Typhoon season?

That's part of the geographical issues with a World Cup. The RWC is always held between August and November so there isn't really much they could do about the weather.

During the 1995 World Cup the Semi final between SA and France was also almost called off due to a torrential storm, and the match was delayed for about an hour and a half as there was a fear that the players might drown.

The storms were expected for that time of year, but there wasn't much they could do about it.

It's just one of those things. But we shouldn't jump the gun here yet. The possibility of the game being played is still strong as they don't know yet whether this storm will be as strong by the time it hits Fukuoka.

When the Springboks arrived in Japan, they trained 4 days while a tropical storm was in Japan and they managed to have their full training session on the field during the storm.

It seems harsh that they'd do it that way; but if a match has to be cancelled, it's probably the only way; as the schedule at RWCs is too tight to allow an alternative date.
An alternative stadium might be a good idea though - but probably too late to organise - but worth a look for the future.

Half these stadiums are roofed, surely you'd move the game rather than cancel it?

No good for fans with tickets but neither is calling it off.

The Oita Dome is about two hour's coach ride away from Fukuoka, so you'd only have to move the teams the day before.

World rugby has confirmed that the game would be played anyway. It seems like the weather will allow the game, in worst case scenario it would be played in another stadium.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/491010

About French selection, it's really strange to put the B team in this game and then A team against Tonga then England then potential QF. It would have made more sense to start with the A team, then sub early if BP is in, and send the B team against Tonga...
I guess potentially we can be qualified before the England game so then we wouldn't have to start with A team against England

It would have made more sense to start with the A team, then sub early if BP is in, and send the B team against

It's because Tonga is expected to be better than the US. And the A players will have six days to recover between Tonga and England. And it's hard to imagine the team against England not being the best one, even if France was already qualified.

Oh, and hello everybody (first post) !

It's because Tonga is expected to be better than the US. And the A players will have six days to recover between Tonga and England. And it's hard to imagine the team against England not being the best one, even if France was already qualified.

Bookmakers see a really close game between Tonga and USA. The famous rugby algorithm even gives USA winners :)

12 changes for this USA game is a lot after 10 days rest. It would have been nice to start with dupont ntamack again so they can get some more experience together.

Anyway this USA side looked quite weak against England, let's hope that we can score quickly so we get clear of any potential mental breakdown.

Looking forward to tomorrows games. I am getting withdrawal symptoms because there is no action today. France will win quite easily. It is going ahead.

I think there has been a gradual decline in the Eagles since Gold replaced John Mitchell. France can lose to anyone in the top 12 in the world, but I cant see a loss here. They'll have a lot of players desperate to stake a claim as starter.

I think there has been a gradual decline in the Eagles since Gold replaced John Mitchell.

That's an odd claim. Under Mitchell they won 53% of matches, lost to Brazil, and dropped in the rankings from 16th to 17th.

Under Gold (not counting the world cup) they won 73% of matches including a 10-match winning streak, got their first ever win against a tier 1 nation and their ranking rose up to 13th.

USA are higher ranked than Tonga. Their defence was solid in the most part against England but offered absolutely nothing going forward and would have been nilled if it weren't for English brain farts at the death. The bigger problem for the US is they weren't able to get any possession and when they did able to play for territory. I struggle to see how France can play poorly enough to loose but I live in hope!

That's an odd claim. Under Mitchell they won 53% of matches, lost to Brazil, and dropped in the rankings from 16th to 17th.

Under Gold (not counting the world cup) they won 73% of matches including a 10-match winning streak, got their first ever win against a tier 1 nation and their ranking rose up to 13th.

In my opinion he was benefitting from the work of Mitchell when he took over. The 10 game streak came at the very start of his tenior and they were red hot in his first ARC when he had just taken over (beating Argentina XV and smashing Uruguay in Montevideo). Since that fantastic streak he has led them to 3rd in the ARC, their worst ever this year which included losing to Uruguay (admittedly improving) in the US.

I know what I say seems nuts because he has led them to a record high ranking of 13th, but the US have had very timely fixtures that gave them huge ranking points against an experimental Romania with a new coach and repeated games against tailspinning Canada and Samoa. I think a coach can hang on the coat-tails of their predecessor sometimes before results tail off (e.g. Townsend, who can now only avoid defeat with any regularity against England).

Could be a crack-pot theory, but I've not been impressed by the US this year compared to their outstanding 2018. Maybe he has been really experimental, which might explain it. If he manages to defeat Tonga I'll revise my opinion as that would be a solid result.

The US will probably squeak a victory against France now and make me look a right trumpet.

I'm surprised to look up and see my model has USA with a 15% chance here. Stuff only gives them 6%, and they normally rate upsets more than me.

USA could get a BP win and it would still be a lesser upset than Fiji - Uruguay (though still only a 3.0% chance).
Beyond that, if they win by 15+, they will be ranked in the top 10, and #1 in the Americas. And dump France out of the top 10.

Actually, my model has USA at 4.0% to finish 2nd in Pool and play a QF against Wales.

I'm definitely watching this game!

Last edited:

Latest posts