• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 2 - France vs. USA (02/10/2019)

By that logic, Pool C 3 defeats to England France Argentina - 4th place
you missed the point.
I'm comparing the strength of the opposition in each pool. In Pool C England have the less strong opposition. Jap Ire Sco NZ SA Aus Wal Fij are all better on form than Fra and Arg have shown up to now.

you missed the point.
I'm comparing the strength of the opposition in each pool. In Pool C England have the less strong opposition. Jap Ire Sco NZ SA Aus Wal Fij are all better on form than Fra and Arg have shown up to now.

Of course England have less strong opposition than if they had to play another 2-3 tier one sides. It's because they're a top seed. It doesn't mean the pool is weaker.

How do you not get this?

Last edited:
Of course England have less strong opposition than if they had to play another 2-3 tier one sides. It's because they're a top seed. It doesn't mean the pool is weaker.

How do you not get this?
No. I'm comparing the strength of the opposition between each pool. The two tier 1 in England's pool (Fra and Arg) are weaker than every other tier 1 in other pools.

Ire and Sco Pool A are better than Fra and Arg - both are also better ranked
so are NZ and SA in Pool B
so are Aus and Wal in Pool C

do you get it now?

No. I'm comparing the strength of the opposition between each pool. The two tier 1 in England's pool (Fra and Arg) are weaker than every other tier 1 in other pools.

Ire and Sco Pool A are better than Fra and Arg - both are also better ranked
so are NZ and SA in Pool B
so are Aus and Wal in Pool C

do you get it now?

You are comparing the 2nd/3rd best team in England's pool to the best two teams in other pools.

Of course Argentina are weaker than other top two seeds. That's why they're a third seed in the first place. What matters for the strength of the pool is that Argentina are stronger than other third seeds (Italy, Georgia and Japan).

I think you're probably not quite this much of an idiot, or you wouldn't be able to use the internet, so I can only think you're trying to wind me up. So I'm done.

You are comparing the 2nd/3rd best team in England's pool to the best two teams in other pools.

Of course Argentina are weaker than other top two seeds. That's why they're a third seed in the first place. What matters for the strength of the pool is that Argentina are stronger than other third seeds (Italy, Georgia and Japan).
actually my initial comparison also included Japan and Fiji who are also better than Fra and Arg as third seed. It's just an observation based on rankings and taking current form into account and why I think England will quite easily take the pool. Don't know why you take it as a wind up.

Fiji are 4th seed BTW.

I can agree that if England had gotten Italy's draw, or Georgia's draw, or Russia's draw, or for that matter USA's draw and had to play their clones, that it would have been rough for them. Slightly less so in the latter case perhaps.
But as @Goodey says, that's why they have seeding. So it's nothing to do with luck, and any suggestion that England would have any of those draws is just weird.

didn't address seeding in my first post. Was just making the point that Jap Ire Sco NZ SA Aus Wal Fij are all better on form than Fra and Arg have shown up to now in the competition. This of course could change. But I don't it will in Pool C. England should take the pool quite confortably.

I kinda get what @FrenchFan is saying... that the much-vaunted 'Group of Death' is really a bit of a cake-walk but that's just the way it goes. When the pools were drawn (using seedlings as people have pointed out) it didn't look quite so easy.

I'd say it's still a more difficult group than B but not as difficult to qualify out of as D and particularly A.

Are you guys actually saying that France and Argentina are worse than a team that lost to Uruguay?

Australia are going to make the quarters this weekend with a game to spare even though they've been beaten. This is ludicrous.

Are you guys actually saying that France and Argentina are worse than a team that lost to Uruguay?

Australia are going to make the quarters this weekend with a game to spare even though they've been beaten. This is ludicrous.
Although Fiji (seconds) lost to Uruguay I personally would have Fiji (firsts) beating France and Argentina atm... they beat France in France just last autumn.

Edit. Nice use of ludicrous though... haven't heard it used in a sentence since Spaceballs.

I kinda get what @FrenchFan is saying... that the much-vaunted 'Group of Death' is really a bit of a cake-walk but that's just the way it goes. When the pools were drawn (using seedlings as people have pointed out) it didn't look quite so easy.

I'd say it's still a more difficult group than B but not as difficult to qualify out of as D and particularly A.

Yes. Haven't seen anything yet about the so called Pool of death and we're going into the 3rd round.

Fiji had a shocker but they're still better than Fra and Arg imo. The Fiji I saw v Australia in first half would beat these two. Fra came close to a shocker v USA (12-9 after 65'!!). This is not over yet. Les Bleus still have to beat Tonga and players are dropping like flies (Fofana and Bamba are out without playing once, Ramos and Mauvaka have just been ruled out).

Fiji maybe a 40' proposition in the competition but then so are Fra and Arg up to now.

Argentina could prove me wrong this weekend but I don't think they will beat England. Last chance for them.

Stop the bullshit, the first game of the pool was already a knockout game for qualification and france struggling against usa shows that there is no bad team in this pool.
No team of this pool would have lost to uruguay.
I'm sick of the french french bashing (bashing of france from french), our team looks like **** but we're still a tier 1 rugby nation with good players

oh boy how dare I come onto a rugby forum and criticise my own union which is what 99% of fans end up doing at one stage when they're not happy with their own union.
Funny how other posts further up the thread make similar points about les Bleus being unable to string 20' of good rugby together. With my 40' I was being overly generous!
It's just good auld union bashing. Not French bashing. I'm French and I haven't resorted to self-bashing yet. I must be Ok then.

PS hey Mr Patriotic what's that flag beside your avatar. Doesn't look like the French flag to me.

Latest posts