• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 2 - New Zealand vs. Canada (/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
6ArJefn.png

Venue: Oita Stadium
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

All Blacks
Forwards:
Atu Moli (2 caps); Liam Coltman; Angus Ta'avao; Patrick Tuipulotu (26); Scott Barrett (32); Shannon Frizell (6); Matt Todd (21); Kieran Read - captain (123).
Backs: TJ Perenara (60); Richie Mo'unga (13); Rieko Ioane (26); Sonny Bill Williams (54); Jack Goodhue (9); Jordie Barrett (12); Beauden Barrett (79).
Reserves: Codie Taylor (46); Ofa Tuungafasi (31); Nepo Laulala (21); Sam Whitelock (113); Ardie Savea (40); Brad Weber (2); Ryan Crotty (46) Ben Smith (81)

Obviously giving the bulk of the first team a rest, while giving the Richie-Barrett more time to work together. Big point of interest will be if Rieko can put in a big enough performance to somehow demand selection for the big games again.
I wish Weber could get a proper run, I still think hes arguably the form 9 in NZ and of the 3 can provide the fastest ball which IMO is key against rush defense. No Brodie still but he seems to be taking part in trainings and moving fairly freely. Hopefully he will make it back for Italy.

Last edited:
All Blacks
Forwards:
Atu Moli (2 caps); Liam Coltman; Angus Ta'avao; Patrick Tuipulotu (26); Scott Barrett (32); Shannon Frizell (6); Matt Todd (21); Kieran Read - captain (123).
Backs: TJ Perenara (60); Richie Mo'unga (13); Rieko Ioane (26); Sonny Bill Williams (54); Jack Goodhue (9); Jordie Barrett (12); Beauden Barrett (79).
Reserves: Codie Taylor (46); Ofa Tuungafasi (31); Nepo Laulala (21); Sam Whitelock (113); Ardie Savea (40); Brad Weber (2); Ryan Crotty (46) Ben Smith (81)

Obviously giving the bulk of the first team a rest, while giving the Richie-Barrett more time to work together. Big point of interest will be if Rieko can put in a big enough performance to somehow demand selection for the big games again.
I wish Weber could get a proper run, I still think hes arguably the form 9 in NZ and of the 3 can provide the fastest ball which IMO is key against rush defense. No Brodie still but he seems to be taking part in trainings and moving fairly freely. Hopefully he will make it back for Italy.

Would be nice to have seen Weber, seems like he is a genuine injury reserve. How is his box kicking?

Think the All Blacks could struggle here...

... to pass the 100 point mark. It's gonna be another tough match for my subconscious as it just sees a really poor Wales side when Canada are playing.

I'm not sure what we'll be aiming to get out of this one, maybe just a bit of exercise and a bit of fun. practice some moves.

If NZ score less than 80, I'll be disappointed.
funnily enough i just put a bet on NZ points difference of 80+
i can see ione getting many tries
i can also see jordie trying too hard and stuffing things up several times.

All Blacks
Forwards:

Ione would need to show a massive workrate to overtake bridge I think. it won't be about whether he scores tries, because it is canada.

Would be nice to have seen Weber, seems like he is a genuine injury reserve. How is his box kicking?

V good, he is a complete 9. I think all 3 of our 9's are.
if I was to get picky I'd say Perenara's box is the best of the 3, Smith makes some great touch finders but generally all 3 have a great boot. IMO of the 3 I think Weber has the fastest clearance, then Perenara lastly Smith. I really want to see the AB backline operate with Weber passing straight out of the rucks like he does. Smith most of the time takes a step or two without engaging the line and it just eats time and gives the rush a head start. Much in the way Genia was hashing things up for the aussies yesterday. When white came on he would either take a couple of steps and actually engage the defense before passing or he would pass straight off the ground and the backs had so much more time.

I'm not sure what we'll be aiming to get out of this one, maybe just a bit of exercise and a bit of fun. practice some moves.

funnily enough i just put a bet on NZ points difference of 80+
i can see ione getting many tries
i can also see jordie trying too hard and stuffing things up several times.

Ione would need to show a massive workrate to overtake bridge I think. it won't be about whether he scores tries, because it is canada.

yeah I can see that as well.
and it is a shame, I seem to remember Canada being more of a challenge. Plus Ardron is absolute class most of the time he looks a class above his team mates

These two games are tricky, rest the first side. try not to pick up injuries or give too much of the gameplan away.
Then Italy will likely see the top side and all the stops pulled out to get some real momentum going into the QF.

and it is a shame, I seem to remember Canada being more of a challenge. Plus Ardron is absolute class most of the time he looks a class above his team mates

One of one three tier 2 teams to ever make the quarter finals - the others being Fiji and (Western) Samoa.

What's happened to them is they have no money and are cutting costs everywhere, e.g. centrally contracted players have to play both 7s and 15s. If you want to go pro as a Canadian you are better off suddenly discovering another nationality.

Hopefully the MLR expansion will start to being some money back in.

Mo'unga and Barrett need the game time together. The more the better it helps coming into the knockout stages.

The like the front row it's fairly fresh.

This will be good for teaching your kids the 5 and 7 times tables. Probably the biggest score in the World Cup lies ahead.

I'm going to refrain from joking as Italy will get the same treatment, possibly twice in this group.

Is Jordie not considered a safe option at fullback at international level? He may lack experience but I'd take him at 15 and older brother at 10 any day.

Last edited:
I wish Weber could get a proper run, I still think hes arguably the form 9 in NZ
agree. weber has loads to offer.
i thought weber was the form HB thru out super and leading up to the WC.
however aaronSmith has raised his game and is #1 now. TJ's slipped to 3rd i reckon

I'm going to refrain from joking as Italy will get the same treatment, possibly twice in this group.

Is Jordie not considered a safe option at fullback at international level? He may lack experience but I'd take him at 15 and older brother at 10 any day.
It's not about safety, it's about having a playmaker at ten and another at 15. That's the current strategy.
its funny because the Canada team look about as competent as that muppet

If NZ score less than 80, I'll be disappointed.
I think you are looking for a reason to be disappointed, I doubt that it will be anything like 80 points perhaps half that as Canada isn't a bad team and are playing an All Black B team in rather challenging conditions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40 to 7-10 type score.

Hell there is even a good chance of a draw if the typhoon passes by and cancels the game.

I think you are looking for a reason to be disappointed, I doubt that it will be anything like 80 points perhaps half that as Canada isn't a bad team and are playing an All Black B team in rather challenging conditions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40 to 7-10 type score.

Hell there is even a good chance of a draw if the typhoon passes by and cancels the game.
Oh, there's a typhoon?

Oh, there's a typhoon?

Wednesday games could be hit by high winds and heavy rain caused by Typhoon Mitag, which is developing off the south west coast of Japan and cancelled games or games called off before half time are 0-0 draws I think.

Part of me thinks that result would be funny.

Wednesday games could be hit by high winds and heavy rain caused by Typhoon Mitag, which is developing off the south west coast of Japan and cancelled games or games called off before half time are 0-0 draws I think.

Part of me thinks that result would be funny.
The odds at the bookies are probably pretty high for a nil all draw.

Wouldn't be the worst result for nz.

Last edited:

Latest posts