• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 2 - South Africa vs. Namibia (28/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

MfOD7Ws.png
j7lEIMe.png
KzcdS3e.png

Venue: City of Tokyo Stadium
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Feeling a little torn on this one eh... not on the result of course but on where my allegiance lays :(.

Do you think the Boks will play a full strength side?

SArugbymag were hinting that the Boks may play a strong side to give the A team more game time

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought so, maybe include some of the more pivotal combinations for 'finishing' but the perfect opportunity to exercise the squad.

I expect Rassie to give fringe players a run against Namibia and Canada. He said before the WC he was going to do that.

I want a full rotation. Let the starting team rest and think about their next step. Maybe include some players on the bench who needs to regain form.
Kolisi needs to start

Try Kolbe at fullback
Steyn and Kriel to start together in midfield
Jantjies as flyhalve with steyn covering from withing the starting team.

Vermeulen, Pollard and de Klerk in bubble wrap please!

I hope Rassie plays Schack Brits in the loose forwards, he has been talking about it recently. Sounds interesting.

I have some questions. I heard that Namibia is one of two teams whose all players are born in that country. What is the other team?
And what is the national identity which separates Namibia from the RSA after the end of the Apartheid in the RSA?

Springboks – 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Schalk Brits (c), 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Steven Kitshoff, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Eben Etzebeth, 19 Siya Kolisi, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Damian de Allende, 23 Cheslin Kolbe.

I have some questions. I heard that Namibia is one of two teams whose all players are born in that country. What is the other team?
And what is the national identity which separates Namibia from the RSA after the end of the Apartheid in the RSA?

Argentina and Uruguay are the two other teams with 31 native born and raised players.

Namibia and South Africa are completely separate countries, different passports etc.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/09/09/foreign-born-raised-players-at-rwc-2019/

Springboks – 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Schalk Brits (c), 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Steven Kitshoff, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Eben Etzebeth, 19 Siya Kolisi, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Damian de Allende, 23 Cheslin Kolbe.
It's an Exciting lineup. I think Namibia has to be scared!

I can see Nkosi, Mapimpi and Jantjies scoring Hat tricks.

AM and Steyn together managing the defensive line will make life extremely difficult for the Namibian attack.

Kwagga and Schalk Brits in our loose forwards means we are geared for running rugby but our scrums might not dominate as a result. I can see Kwagga scoring against Namibia also if its a loose game, this is also the kind of game that E jantjies is made for

Namibia, Argentina and Uruguay are the only countries whose players are all born in that country.

South Africa and Namibia are 2 different sovereign countries with their own presidents and national borders. You need a passport to enter Namibia from SA's side.

Please stay on topic, this is a match thread.

It's an Exciting lineup. I think Namibia has to be scared!

I can see Nkosi, Mapimpi and Jantjies scoring Hat tricks.

AM and Steyn together managing the defensive line will make life extremely difficult for the Namibian attack.

Kwagga and Schalk Brits in our loose forwards means we are geared for running rugby but our scrums might not dominate as a result. I can see Kwagga scoring against Namibia also if its a loose game, this is also the kind of game that E jantjies is made for

Our whole team should be able to score a few tries. I like the composition of the team and it's good to see Thomas du Toit in the squad even though he only arrived yesterday.

If our forwards can get early dominance, our backs should be able to create a lot of space for the finishers.

But what I'm most excited about is Frans Steyn getting a start.

Who will South Africa's kicker be?

Crucial information for the fantasy league...

In many ways I think this is actually our strongest side. Good to see that Pollard, Faf and Le Roux have been left out, they all had bad games against NZ. Namibia are unlikely to get too much back-line possession, so Mapimpi's bad defence shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to see this exact same team selected for the other two remaining pool matches.

What is the situation with Kolisi? - when is he going to be ready for 80 minutes?

Who will South Africa's kicker be?

Crucial information for the fantasy league...

Don't put your house on it but 80% chance it'll be Elton Jantjies. Frans Steyn for anything over 50m possibly.

On the team. Its a full rotation but TBH half of these players I have ahead of players vs NZ. Well, probably not half. Let me see;

RG Snyman, Sbu Nkosi, Herschell Jantjies... probably Beast and Mbonambi. So that's 5 players. if you take out Mapimpi and Am who started vs NZ that's 5/12. Suppose that is close enough to half.

So if I read between the lines Nyakane is unavailable due to injury. I haven't read anything about him being sent home so hopefully he'll be fit sooner rather than later.

Good that both Mapimpi and Nkosi get game time. Nkosi will probably show he is a better rounded wing and Mapimpi proponents won't be able to say its because Nkosi had a go at Namibia because Mapimpi is there as well. Excited to see Gelant have a go as well.

We should win handsomely but only if we do the hard work first. If we rush it thinking Namibia will simply roll over we should still win but will make it difficult for ourselves.

Last edited:
….
We should win handsomely but only if we do the hard work first. If we rush it thinking Namibia will simply roll over we should still win but will make it difficult for ourselves.

Yes, it should all be one-way traffic, but who do you think Namibia are targeting in this pool - if anybody?

Yes, it should all be one-way traffic, but who do you think Namibia are targeting in this pool - if anybody?

Sjo that's a tough one. Any win would be amazing for Namibia. I can only imagine Canada being within their range. Still an outside shot but stranger things have happened.

Latest posts