• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - England vs. Argentina (05/10/2019)

Did an Englishman go unpunished inthe opening phases for tackling a man in the air? What gives Nigel Owen? Plain as day. Did it even go to review? Is it even cardable, or just a pen! I don't know any more.
Was it Manu? If so yes defo penalty possible yellow.

There's also the tip tackle on Curry that was lucky to be penalty only.

Finally Owens also called the red card no foul play in a real time.

Owens is nowhere near the ref he use to be and has been for quite some time.

Yeah it was Manu got it fractionally early, IMO a yellow would have been harsh as it was so fractional and didn't look to be dangerous, but couldn't really complain if he did see yellow for it.

My first post on here in about a year I reckon.

I missed the match yesterday as I was working, and no chance I am getting up at some ungodly hour to watch it. My mate told me the score when I got in to work. Have to say, I was impressed when he told me it was 39-10 to England. Going into the World Cup, I felt Argentina could have given England a real test, in light of their recent performances in Super Rugby. They certainly deserved more from the France match too, in my opinion. Just falling short while dominating the last 40. So the result had me feeling upbeat about England's RWC prospects. A resounding defeat, it appeared.

I just watched the highlights, and have to say, the result makes more sense to me knowing England were only up against 14 men for over an hour. You can talk all you like about English tactics, flair and creativity, but all those things change, and the pressure is not the same, when you are up against a depleted outfit. 7 man packs and more spaces in the midfield to exploit. Red card basically condemns Argentina, and the contest is effectively over at international level.

I am getting many friends tell me how England will do well at this World Cup, and they do have the optimal draw for the quarter final, but I still do not see enough there to threaten the ABs, and lately the boks. Be made up they do, but feel a little robbed of one of the games of this group with that red card.

Nothing England can about the draw, and red cards, and so they keep on winning, but I hope they keep grinding, as they must, to get any RWC joy. On paper, for me, the ABs are still 20 points better than anyone, and have more skilled players throughout any 15 they field.

The starting front 5 of England yesterday, compared to what the ABS have, just isn't up to scratch. ****, England have yet to face either Wales or Australia, and I'd say there'll be a few tight sphincter moments against either of these sides, let alone talking of them in the final.

Farrell needs to get his kicking boots on ......

I would argue the point about England's tight 5. Think Marler is having a solid tournament. A first choice and fit front row of Vunipola George and Sinkler backed by Itoje and Kruis I think are in the top 3 you'll see at the WC.

I haven't read many England fans saying we'll get to the final. Anyone wanting to look at an effective low tacking technique should look at Sam Underhill. Targets the flexible middle bit and backs it up with a strong leg drive.

I would argue the point about England's tight 5. Think Marler is having a solid tournament. A first choice and fit front row of Vunipola George and Sinkler backed by Itoje and Kruis I think are in the top 3 you'll see at the WC.

I haven't read many England fans saying we'll get to the final. Anyone wanting to look at an effective low tacking technique should look at Sam Underhill. Targets the flexible middle bit and backs it up with a strong leg drive.
What will set any AB forward apart from their northern hemisphere counterpart will be their skill with ball in hand and ability to recycle. I don't see an England tight 5 scrummaging the ABs off the park either. It will come down to line speed and defence. Winning ugly. As the boks managed in the Super Rugby series earlier in the year.

The people telling me they fancy England to do well have not been English fans. Irish for the most part. I don't share their optimism, but hope we do well, all the same. Firmly planted.

Well Nubiwan - Here's another non-English fan to tell you they like England. There's some nice players in that team. The full back impresses and that tight five standout, but the loosies seem to have lifted from previous years. Farrell could be a weakness??...he's a bit intense. As a team they're doing what they have too. Taking care of business. If England and the All Blacks can get past decent opposition (and that's no certainty) to the semi - then it's a 50-50 game for mine.

Nice try for the forwards and LCD. How many tries has he now scored for England? Got to be a record for a front rower and hooker.

If Rugby Dump's stats are to be believed, LCD has a strike rate of 0.92 tries per minute played, compared to 0.71 for Jonah Lomu!

His try scoring exploits only started with the warm up games, he hadn't scored before then, so I'd be surprised if his total of 5 is any sort of record, other than maybe by strike rate.

Maybe there are some parallels with 91 where Teague took over from an out of sorts Richards.

Hopefully not too many. Should England make it to the final, I can't see Eddie Jones changing his game plan to satisfy his critics in the way that Geoff Cooke did.

If Rugby Dump's stats are to be believed, LCD has a strike rate of 0.92 tries per minute played, compared to 0.71 for Jonah Lomu!

His try scoring exploits only started with the warm up games, he hadn't scored before then, so I'd be surprised if his total of 5 is any sort of record, other than maybe by strike rate.

Damn

Latest posts