• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - Ireland vs. Russia (03/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

gI004IH.png
j7lEIMe.png
C7IIkhg.jpg

Venue: Kobe Misaki Stadium
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

While they should easily secure the bonus point there is more pressure on them. Unless Scotland lose to Samoa, then pool is pretty much over.

I wouldn't be too concerned with Larmour at 13 (given the center issues).

What was concerning was by 35 minutes against Japan, Ireland looked absolutely shattered.

Given Japan beat Russia by a margin of 20 points, I'd expect Ireland to win by ~10...

Obviously I jest, but, whilst I expect Ireland to win comfortably, I do think they need to be smart about squad rotation to keep bodies and minds fresh ahead of the more testing game against Samoa on the 12th.

I wouldn't be too concerned with Larmour at 13 (given the center issues).

What was concerning was by 35 minutes against Japan, Ireland looked absolutely shattered.

Almost all the Russians are based in Siberia. If the Irish look like they are struggling more with the conditions then there are real issues.

This will be in the same stadium as the Scotland Samoa game and the roof has to be closed. So expect a lot of handling errors.

Ireland (v Russia):

15. Rob Kearney
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Keith Earls
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Luke McGrath

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. John Ryan
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. Jean Kleyn
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Peter O'Mahony
8. Jordi Murphy

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Andrew Porter
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Iain Henderson
20. CJ Stander
21. Joey Carbery
22. Jack Carty
23. Jordan Larmour

Sexton captaining instead of O'Mahony (or Ruddock) is the standout here really.

I think Carbery and Carty both being on the bench is also a talking point!

Nordi straight in and Ringrose starting again.

Strange team in a few ways but you would obviously expect it to do what's necessary.

I think Carbery and Carty both being on the bench is also a talking point!

Nordi straight in and Ringrose starting again.

Strange team in a few ways but you would obviously expect it to do what's necessary.
That is very interesting... maybe nothing as Carbery covers 15 etc but could be indicative of a worry over Sexy's fitness.

Surprised they risked Sexton for this, even with a misfiring Carberry or Carty you would still expect Ireland to get the bonus point. Who is actually 9 cover in that team?

Surprised they risked Sexton for this, even with a misfiring Carberry or Carty you would still expect Ireland to get the bonus point. Who is actually 9 cover in that team?
My guess is, he needs game time before the knock outs but they'd rather not play him against the Samoans... who could just put him out of the competition by running at him in offence and defence all match.

That is very interesting... maybe nothing as Carbery covers 15 etc but could be indicative of a worry over Sexy's fitness.

We only have two 9s in the squad. So it's most likely Carbery is 9 cover. A position he hasn't played since Leinster u19s I think.

As Bushytop said Sexton needs gametime and there's less chance of a decapitation in this match.

We only have two 9s in the squad. So it's most likely Carbery is 9 cover. A position he hasn't played since Leinster u19s I think.

As Bushytop said Sexton needs gametime and there's less chance of a decapitation in this match.
Hmm... never thought about 9. Would be a big ask though, a bit like throwing Henshaw in at 15.

Hmm... never thought about 9. Would be a big ask though, a bit like throwing Henshaw in at 15.

It's a lot worse than that, I'm sure Henshaw was originally a 15 for Connacht and played there for a few years of pro rugby.

It's a lot worse than that, I'm sure Henshaw was originally a 15 for Connacht and played there for a few years of pro rugby.
Oh right... thought I heard someone say he hadn't played there since juniors too. Either way it's not ideal.

Latest posts