[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - Ireland vs. Russia (03/10/2019)

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Sep 30, 2019.

1. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I actually think the backs have shown marked improvement when it comes to heads up rugby and offloading but we get turned over after most of our significant breaks or we're easily stopped because the forwards resort to one-up running when we have the opposition under pressure.

I reckon the extra 12-18 months has ended the careers of POM, Stander and Best as world class players around the park and it wasn't unforeseeable at the time either. We had the quality to carry one if not two of them prior to Leavy's and Conan's injuries but we're stuffed now. For a pack that were so clever and nuanced the decline into slow, tight, one-up running is unfathomable and massively disappointing.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Crags

Crags Academy Player

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Worcester

Today Ireland were average. But why are people going ott (even our own pundits) saying we cannot win it because of how we played v Russia. RUBBISH. This will not be the line-up against the bigger sides. And everybody knows England have their name on the Cup. Done what we had to. 0 against us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crags

Crags Academy Player

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Worcester

Today Ireland were average. But why are people going ott (even our own pundits) saying we cannot win it because of how we played v Russia. RUBBISH. This will not be the line-up against the bigger sides. And everybody knows England have their name on the Cup. Done what we had to. 0 against us.

5. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose First XV

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

I cant believe Russia's points difference in the contest so far. A 2nd string Ireland thrashed Italy in the warm-ups. It is a good advert for how exposure for Russian clubs in the Challenge Cup helped them, but also reflects well on their coach.

However Ireland performed in this game is largely irrelevant. Playing Sexton and him possibly exacerbating an injury however, is not.

6. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

What frustrates me more than anything is forwards being static when they receive the ball. Charge onto it FFS! Only Rhys Ruddock seemed to try build up momentum before carrying.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Agreed. The whole catch the ball, stand there for a few seconds, and THEN start running at the defenders routine drives me up the wall. Few gainlines were ever broken that way.

8. corny

corny Bench Player

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

The footwork before contact seems to be a thing of the past too.

9. TheOvalBall

TheOvalBall First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

France

I'm pretty sure Joe Schmidt ate his hat at certain stages of this game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Plastic Dubs is what we call them. And plastic is destroying the world

11. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Late to party as here is South Africa the wifi is dung. But great chatting to few here. And they reckon Ireland suffer because they don't rotate enough for big games and use form as well as reputation enough. Examples are people may say Best, POM, Stander, Murray, Kearney (in past) and others. And it is I suppose an interesting way to look at it. And it's not just based on Schmidt era but an Irish thing dating back a long time.
    Also it has to be noted Ruddock, Conway and Jordi looked like the 3 willing to play and are the 3 that haven't been burdened as much. Not sure what is going on in camp but having dealt with POM for years and watching him last few weeks his fitness is a worry. He plays well for 30 then fades hugely

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dai Yorkshire

Dai Yorkshire Academy Player

Another side that's not going much further me thinks, Ireland have been poor so far NZ will run away with it.

13. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I just want to say congrats to the Russian second stringers who performed above their pay grade.

Reckon Howley has been in the phone to Schmidt, trying to get him to up the odds on Ireland winning the cup?

• Like Like x 1
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!