• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - New Zealand vs. Namibia (06/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
KzcdS3e.png

Venue: Tokyo Stadium
Time: 06:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

58 - 14 to New Zealand the last time these two teams met in 2015. Poor Namibia always seem to end up in the toughest of pools.

I am expecting a similar score line this time, Namibia will probably not target this game for a victory.

It will be another chance for NZ to rest their best players.

The matchday 23 is as follows (with Test caps in brackets):

1. Joe Moody (42)
2. Codie Taylor (47)
3. Nepo Laulala (22)
4. Brodie Retallick (77)
5. Samuel Whitelock - captain (114)
6. Shannon Frizell (7)
7. Sam Cane (64)
8. Ardie Savea (41)
9. Aaron Smith (88)
10. Jordie Barrett (13)
11. George Bridge (6)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (39)
13. Jack Goodhue (10)
14. Sevu Reece (4)
15. Ben Smith (82)

16. Dane Coles (65)
17. Ofa Tuungafasi (32)
18. Angus Ta'avao (10)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (27)
20. Matt Todd (22)
21. Brad Weber (3)
22. T J Perenara (61)
23. Rieko Ioane (27)

RIP Namibia...

https://www.allblacks.com/news/all-blacks-team-named-to-play-namibia

p.s selections on 10, 21 & 22 is interesting...

Last edited:
Wow, Retallick sooner than I expected. Can see him getting 40 mins then a rest. Hopefully everyone gets through with no injuries / suspensions.

Will be interested to see how Jordie goes at 10, think he prefers 12 but let's see.

...so...is TJ the first five cover?

i know people talked about jordie being first five cover, how much has he played at first five?

TJ is cover for 10
will be interesting to see who kicks for goal when Jordie goes off
Welcome back guzzler!!!

this is the thing that slightly worries me...not that we'll loose this game or anything...but we're still testing. Rather than using these games to refine things or blood bolters...we're testing our back up plan...i can just see it being another messy one like canada

this is the thing that slightly worries me...not that we'll loose this game or anything...but we're still testing. Rather than using these games to refine things or blood bolters...we're testing our back up plan...i can just see it being another messy one like canada

honestly we are not testing anything in this game IMO

key players are being rested.
Jordie is at 10 so Richie and Beaudie ccan have the day off. I dont think there is any more to read more into that. Someone who isn't a 10 had to come in and play 10 for this game and Jordie is the obvious choice. Give Richie a rest and Beauden ran about a zillion miles that last game there is no way he was going to run out for this one.
Guzzler is getting a run to see where he is at with his injury & Fittness

Bank the win and dont get injured. That is the begining and end of the story for this game.

I expect the top side to front against Italy to gather a last shot of momentum before the finals.

Yup the weird draw that gave us the 4 day turnaround always meant either this or Canada was the game where we'd get most of the random options.

Italy should be a good test for the A team heading into the quarters.

Retallick god bless him.

Getting his match fitness and form back for Nambia and probably Italy.

An interesting selection, I thought maybe they'd try and rest more front line players.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong about jordies inability to pass.

I think the choice of backs on the bench in our top team may still be an open question for the selectors, so the midfield, Ione, Weber, and tj will all be wanting to put in strong performances here. There is possibly a loose forward reserve up for grabs too.

The midfield is interesting,, I thought they might want to give Crotty some more game time. On the other hand maybe they wanted to see this combo together. Do the selectors know their preferred midfield combo? I think whenever we have played our top team this year there have been injured players or unfit players needing game time, or unfit players needing game one outside the all blacks. In other words we have no real reason to suspect we know who the preferred combo is.

If all non New Zealanders could please close their eyes for the rest of this post...

I actually think if you made a first and second world 15 that they would only contain nz midfielders

An interesting selection, I thought maybe they'd try and rest more front line players.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong about jordies inability to pass.

I think the choice of backs on the bench in our top team may still be an open question for the selectors, so the midfield, Ione, Weber, and tj will all be wanting to put in strong performances here. There is possibly a loose forward reserve up for grabs too.

The midfield is interesting,, I thought they might want to give Crotty some more game time. On the other hand maybe they wanted to see this combo together. Do the selectors know their preferred midfield combo? I think whenever we have played our top team this year there have been injured players or unfit players needing game time, or unfit players needing game one outside the all blacks. In other words we have no real reason to suspect we know who the preferred combo is.

If all non New Zealanders could please close their eyes for the rest of this post...

I actually think if you made a first and second world 15 that they would only contain nz midfielders

Na, Tuilagi is the first midfielder taken and he isn't a kiwi. Tuilagi and ALB maybe? Although the French bloke looks very handy at 13 as well.

Agree that three all blacks and Tuilagi in some order would be my first choice centres for those teams.

Do you include 10 as midfield? If so Farrell and Sexton come into the mix.

If we're picking on World Cup form, Hadley Parkes was awesome against Australia and Gael Fickou has been running rings around defenders.

Agree that three all blacks and Tuilagi in some order would be my first choice centres for those teams.

Do you include 10 as midfield? If so Farrell and Sexton come into the mix.

If we're picking on World Cup form, Hadley Parkes was awesome against Australia and Gael Fickou has been running rings around defenders.
I don't believe you are a kiwi? I was trying to talk to biased eyes only.

I'm not convinced on Tuilagi being better than the top 5 from nz. I feel he is similar to laumape, just not as good. Similar to kerevi, though kerevi would be better if less prone to errors and poor decisions

Just 12 and 13 is midfield. But yeah Farrell could contend, though he is more of a ten unless paired with Tuilagi. Similarly for Tuilagi, probably only comes into the equation if Farrell is inside him, because without a playmaker paired with him he doesn't offer enough.

Anyway, getting off topic so better bring it back....speaking of combinations, contrast that with this game.

In this game we will see a combination of two players who are both creative and running threats, but in different ways. Goodhue runs good lines hard and straight while alb dances, goodhue has a good spiral pass while alb has a good offload game. Both are very good defenders.

I wouldn't take an NZer for either Irish starting centre to be honest. Maybe Henshaw considering his proneness to injury but I rarely consider that in such hypotheticals.

I wouldn't take an NZer for either Irish starting centre to be honest. Maybe Henshaw considering his proneness to injury but I rarely consider that in such hypotheticals.
Isn't Aki one of the Irish centers? I remember him being an average player in super rugby. Good, but never came close to ABs selection.

Anyway, the relevance to this match was just that the midfielders today might still be contending for positions in the top team, because our midfielders are very good hence it is difficult to choose
Isn't Aki one of the Irish centers? I remember him being an average player in super rugby. Good, but never came close to ABs selection.
Pretty Shaw he means hensure.

This might be my only chance to say it...
Go Namibia just have to defend that 3 point lead for 87 minutes.

Sorry just have a soft spot for them, shame they can't be included in super rugby to get them some more experience.

These commentators are lame. Honestly, I'm all for praising a team once or twice but jeepers they are not gods.

Latest posts